Sympathy for the Devil LEAD SOUND??

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Sympathy for the Devil LEAD SOUND??

Postby Kevin on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:49 pm

I've managed to nail that tone with my Guild BHM Signature and an SIB Varidrive with the treble control cranked going into the brilliant channel of my AC30 (volume a bit over half way up).
Kevin
Baron

KR's 1968 tones

Postby MKII on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:22 pm

The guitar would most likely have been his Les Paul Custom, the amp: an AC30 or a solid state Supreme. That's the equipment that is used/seen in the film One Plus One/Sympathy for the Devil.

To begin with he's using the solid state Supreme, then requests "can I move to the small vox?"...
MKII
Squire

Postby Necrovore on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:14 pm

As said before they shot that recording session to film. It is in the movie Sympathy For The Devil. It is the film that goes from the first inception of that song to what you finally hear and know of as the song with the same title.

Go rent it from your local video store, I would not suggest buying it due to the film being intercut with 60's politics guerrilla theater vignets and black panther speeches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D ... d&v=glance

This is my favorite Stones song and even I had a hard time watching this film. The studio sessions are brilliant but the rest of the stuff is crap IMO.
Boutique solder, directional cables aligned with global magnetic leylines, radionic mind-control boutique guitar pedals hooked into the HAARP arrays, rare-gas filled 4x12 cabs, guitar picks fashioned from the Roswell UFO crash debris and so on.

http://www.myspace.com/hodtheband
Necrovore
Page

Re: Sympathy for the Devil LEAD SOUND??

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:39 pm

pckpat wrote:in the interviews i've read, richards said he ran the acoustic into a small cassette recorder w/ some kinda limiter in it.

this is why "tone" these days has become so generic.

nobody experiments anymore.. its all about "i got a new Bogner that sounds KILLER!!!"

Wheres MADJACKHATTER when you need 'em?! :D

I got some of the coolest tones when i was goofing around plugging my amp/guitar into things that had "no business" being in my signal chain :wink:

Go buy a 12" speaker from your local thrift store for $5, take it home and kick the cone in.. plug in your fave amp and have at it!

Go Keith!

Go Jack! :lol:
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby Gooch on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:15 am

OK, so it was the LP Custom into the AC-30? Is that the verdict?

Was the LP a P90/Alnico model or humbucker? I don't recall and I don't have access to my videos right now.

I didn't think the Stones started using Ampegs until the '69 tour rehearsals?
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby MKII on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:06 pm

Gooch wrote:OK, so it was the LP Custom into the AC-30? Is that the verdict?

Was the LP a P90/Alnico model or humbucker? I don't recall and I don't have access to my videos right now.

I didn't think the Stones started using Ampegs until the '69 tour rehearsals?

Humbuckers on the les paul custom, and I think it likely that the solo is played through an AC30 with loads of treble boost etc. It might be a cranked Supreme though!?

The various pics and footage from that period shows four amps in use, Vox AC30, Supreme, Dynamic Bass and the rarer Triumph amp.
MKII
Squire

Postby TM1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:17 am

`50 Les Paul Custom 3-pickup into a Vox 7120 Hybrid amp. the amp features a germanium transistor powered preamp with an output section of 12AX7, EL-84,s and 4-KT-88's. The distortion circuit in the amp uses FET's. The rest of the preamp is basically AC128 transistors. I'll have to look at my schematic to be certain but the one's I've worked on have that sound with a Les Paul. They're also really loud! the stock cabs were 2x10's & 2x12's (four speakers total).
TM1
Squire

Postby MKII on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:45 am

TM1 wrote:`50 Les Paul Custom 3-pickup into a Vox 7120 Hybrid amp. the amp features a germanium transistor powered preamp with an output section of 12AX7, EL-84,s and 4-KT-88's. The distortion circuit in the amp uses FET's. The rest of the preamp is basically AC128 transistors. I'll have to look at my schematic to be certain but the one's I've worked on have that sound with a Les Paul. They're also really loud! the stock cabs were 2x10's & 2x12's (four speakers total).

They stopped using them when the solid state Supreme's etc came out!

Footage and pics from early 1967 onwards show them using Supreme's or Defiants etc.
MKII
Squire

Postby drewl on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:44 pm

Boy! this is an old thread!
drewl
Prince

Postby bscepter on Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:51 pm

I love the tone in that solo, too. But it's just got to be a germanium treble boost of some sort -- Dallas, Hornsby Skewes -- something.
bscepter
Knight

Postby TM1 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:46 am

I'm sticking with the Vox 7120 head on this. The person I got the info from has a direct pipeline to K.R. and that's what he said was used for the lead track. Inspite of what Keith comes across like, he's pretty on top of it and has an excellent memory when it comes to gear.
I've tried a 7120 w/3-pickup L.P. Custom and it was so____close that if you closed your eyes you'd swear it was it. Part of the equation is using M.O.Valve Gold Lion KT-88's and the other valves were Mullards. Other makes of valves that we tried didn't have that same zing or fat biting tone.
Anyway, whatever way you can duplicate it that works for you is fine. Not everyone has access to a 7120 and an old Custom.
TM1
Squire

Postby MKII on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:16 pm

TM1 wrote:I'm sticking with the Vox 7120 head on this. The person I got the info from has a direct pipeline to K.R. and that's what he said was used for the lead track.

The ol' "I know someone who knows him" thing... :D

They must have hid it everytime the camera's were rolling during that session. :lol:

Joking aside, maybe it's the Triumph then, basically the same as the amp you mention, but it's been seen in use during that period by Keith, he uses it for the rock and roll circus for example...

http://www.toneheaven.ndirect.co.uk/triumph_amps.htm

MKII
Squire

Postby TM1 on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:52 pm

You know I'd gladly post their name but one of things about being friends with people that everyone knows is not violating that confidence.
TM1
Squire

Postby Karl Teten on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:27 am

Keith's tone sounds much like George Harrison's tone on The Beatles song Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band.

Harrison used a Stratocaster with a Vox UL730.

The UL730 has the same SS preamp Vox distortion as the 7120 as well as the Conqueror-Defiant-Surpreme amps.

Could have been either of these amps but I agree Keith used a LP.

Brian Jones was still in the group. Brian and Bill were huge Vox endorsers at that time period.

FWIW, TM1 (Don) does know a lot of 'people'. :wink:
Karl Teten
Page

Postby MKII on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Karl Teten wrote:Keith's tone sounds much like George Harrison's tone on The Beatles song Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band.

Harrison used a Stratocaster with a Vox UL730.

The UL730 has the same SS preamp Vox distortion as the 7120 as well as the Conqueror-Defiant-Surpreme amps.

Could have been either of these amps but I agree Keith used a LP.

Brian Jones was still in the group. Brian and Bill were huge Vox endorsers at that time period.

FWIW, TM1 (Don) does know a lot of 'people'. :wink:

Funny, cos it's paul McCartney who plays the lead on Sgt Pepper. :P

The sessions for sympathy show the supreme and ac30, and someones already said they can get that tone with an ac30, plus the only other vox related amp he's been pictured with during that period is the aformentioned triumph. I think its more likely it would be one of those amps rather than ul's.

The stones switched to supremes etc by the time of their tour in spring 1967.

Other tracks from Beggars Banquet have the same lead tone and there are similar tones on the Beatles 1968 album as well.
MKII
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones