Thin Lizzy

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Thin Lizzy

Postby ayh on Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:24 pm

Mrs.ayh has a Gary Moore video from the 80s called Emerald Aisles Live In Ireland.It's produced by NFL Films.I guess they need something to do in the off season.The narrator is the same dude who does the football highlights every week.

It's full of shreding guitar and bad 80s haircuts(now I remember why I stopped playin electric guitar back then)
Philip makes a couple of appearances.He does unfortunately have a chemical abusers color & bloat goin on.He must have had about a year or so to live

The NFL guy says,"Gary has appeared to have open up a cut over his eye during an agressive guitar move"

Phil ,ever the joker says,"He was using too much treble"
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby master keeper on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:32 pm

Originally posted by Jailbreak:
That's exactly what he's doing. It IS gary playing on that song, though he never got credits for it!!!
Gary played the solo on Still In Love With You from the Nightlife album, never getting the credit for it. Brian Robertson played the solo on Don't Believe A Word from the Johnny The Fox Album.

I speak the truth, honestly!!
Maby I'm mixing things up, JB, you may be right on that one...
master keeper
Prince

Postby worldoftone on Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:01 am

That is a tough damn question. I like all of the lineups, but oddly, I really like Sykes on Thunder and Lightning. That album just really kicks ass. I am the biggest Gary Moore fan in the world too.

I have all of Thin Lizzy's stuff, and really love all of it. But Thunder and Lightning just hits me right on the head.

Chinatown is a close second w/Snowy. Jailbreak is great, but SO OVERPLAYED.

I really felt Gary Moore was best doing his own thing. The first record I heard from Gary was Victims of the Future. Heh heh, that album is still in my top ten of all time.

- WOT
The Ayatollah of uh-rock-and-uh-rollahhhhhh

worldoftone
Prince

Postby Jailbreak on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:30 am

No sweat, MK, just want to get the facts straight. :)

Hell, if there is an earlier version of DBAW, I for one want to know about it. ;)

Cheers for now
"Is there anybody with any Irish in them?"
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby Dr.Dan on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:31 am

That's exactly what he's doing. It IS gary playing on that song, though he never got credits for it!!!
Gary played the solo on Still In Love With You from the Nightlife album, never getting the credit for it. Brian Robertson played the solo on Don't Believe A Word from the Johnny The Fox Album.

I speak the truth, honestly!!
Jailbreak is correct ... Robbo plays the solo on DBaW. Moore plays the solo on the original SiLwY but Robbo's version on Live and Dangerous is the classic rendition. Robbo is the man! :-)
Dr.Dan
Certified

Postby Jailbreak on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:00 pm

Jailbreak is correct ... Robbo plays the solo on DBaW. Moore plays the solo on the original SiLwY but Robbo's version on Live and Dangerous is the classic rendition. Robbo is the man! :-)
Thanks Dan.

By the way - all Lizzy fans should check out the Rock Legend website: http://www.thin-lizzy.com/

Keep smiling. :)
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby spangled99 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:04 pm

"would they like a bit more Irish in them"
spangled99
Baron

Postby Jailbreak on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:43 pm

"maybe some of the girls would" :o
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby master keeper on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:45 pm

I sure as hell could use some more Irish coffee in me, if that's what you mean! :D
master keeper
Prince

Postby master keeper on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:49 pm

No sweat, MK, just want to get the facts straight. :)

Hell, if there is an earlier version of DBAW, I for one want to know about it. ;)

Cheers for now
I think that I mixed it up with another story about robbo playing the solo gary used to do on the slow/fast version during tours later on, and that he didn't want to admit it until recently. I think I read it in a classic rock issue...
master keeper
Prince

Postby T.G.3-55 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Not to wake the thread from the dead...ok maybe. But I just heard Black Rose again on 3WK Radio...I love that album completely, best EQd TL album. But for sentimental reasons Gorham/Robertson will always have that place en mi corazon.

In 76 when Jail came out, my HS band tried to play their stuff. We had the best drummer in the region, but his head was into getting together a normal life, marriage/kids and a TV news anchor job in Abilene.
I miss his talent.

But GM sure smoked on that album. Man what a riffer. I bought Back In The Streets after getting hip to him...shred mang.
T.G.3-55
Squire

Postby T.G.3-55 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:39 pm

nemo wrote:Gorham/Robbo was the classic lineup I guess. The 2 sound the best on Live & Dangerous.

Black Rose with Moore is their best sounding record. Moore plays solos that make me want to cry (see title track).

this.

as much as I will always rate the classic lineup above all others, the BR lp has some epic solo work by GM & Scott too (WFAA)..what an album.

have u guys hear the original/extended version of Waiting For An Alibi ?:

Valentino got nowhere to go
On his own like Romeo
Blow by blow he watches his money go
Now he's oh so low

but i've been scooping up all the deluxe editions & rare live stuff i can find of the classic lineup. at least we got 5 years of the Boys.

question: what phaser did Scott use ? MXR ? all the live YT clips u see/hear Scott on phaser.

actually alot more than i realized at the time..lotta tracks he's pushing phase shift; and to great effect.

what a band.
T.G.3-55
Squire

Postby power lover on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzL9eTNdiI

I thought I read/heard at some point he used colorsound wah, so maybe the above link...

man lizzy rules. On vinyl in particular all the old albums sound so classic. what a vibe, time, tone, tunes, talent, they had it all.
power lover
Knight

Postby BL!AST on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 am

This band changed my life once. Cheers and am so jealous to anyone who got to see them when they were a band.

I like Robbo, i'm a robbo guy. Loved that slight slap back and the wah sound he got. Also the guy played on IMO the best motorhead album to boot!
BL!AST
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:39 am

I partied with them after the "boys are back in town" tour in Santa Monica, ca

It was the family party, I knew Brad Gorham, cousin to Scott Gorham. many excellent deli meats and cheeses were on the munchie table and it was great getting to know the guys for a short time. Lots of Foster's beer (one of their favorites) were consumed!

They left at like 2am to go to the fan party :shock: , lol....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Lounge