Thin Lizzy

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Thin Lizzy

Postby Sunspot on Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:59 am

Originally posted by Tommy G:
Gary Moore is a great player, but Lizzy's best songs were during the Gorham/Robbo period.
I agree. Gary Moore always seemed like the emergency "stand in" guitarist for Thin Lizzy. As much as he toured with Phil, he never really seemed to be part of the band. BTW, the solos in "Cowboy Song" kill.
'76 JMP 1987
'86 JCM800 2204
Sunspot
Certified

Postby spangled99 on Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:39 pm

At the last of Thin Lizzy's shows at the Hammersmith Odeon (March 12, 1983), Chris Morrison realized a long-standing dream - the reunion of the Lizzy guitarists. As the main set reached its climax, out from the wings stepped Brian Robertson to contest one more dual with Scott Gorham on their signature songs "Emerald", "Rosalie", and "Baby Drives Me Crazy". Then Gary Moore waltzed on stage to lead the band in "Still in Love With You" and "Black Rose". Eric Bell joined the party for "Whiskey in the Jar", and then the whole pack fought over "The Rocker".
I bet that was a bloody mess, but I'd have been going tonto with the rest of them. Cheap thrills get me EVERY time. :D
spangled99
Baron

Postby AlexF on Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 am

Just before this thread disappears forever, with reference to Scott Gorhams comment about them being the most unprofessional professional band ever, i just thought i'd share a great memory of one of their shows. I know there is a different version of this by Gary Moore in one of the books, but I was there and I swear this is how it happened. It was Hammersmith Odeon, I think late '79, they had played ok, but not one of their best, it came to the point in the show where Lynott introduced the band. He did Downey and Gorham and they did their party pieces. It came to Moore's turn, the lights went out except for a single white spot which captured him in rock god pose, feet apart and the Peter Green Les Paul on the back of his head and... nothing, ziltch. The guitar was silent. He looked daggers at the side of the stage, the lights came back on, he took off the guitar and put it down flat on the stage (virtually dropped it actually). He gestured to someone off stage to approach him and a roadie shuffled on. I've always assumed that the roadie must have chosen the most embarrassing moment to deliberately disconnect the Les Paul from its Marshall, coz Moore sprinted across the stage leapt through the air and hoofed the guy in the gonads. There was a spontaneous cry of "Yeeeeoooouuch" from hundreds of male onlookers (including yours truly!) and the unfortunate roadie crumpled to his knees. He soon got up though as he spotted the wildly irate irishman turning for a second go. I can only describe what followed as resembling a pantomime scene as the roadie exited stage left, running for his life holding what remained of his crown jewels, hotly pursued by a wild kicking raging bull. Moore reappeared moments later as if nothing had happened, strapped on the guitar and carried on. Lynott looked on with his trademark ear to ear grin and was actually laughing at one point. It was a truly priceless moment. Oh for those crazy seventies!! :)
Al
AlexF
Knight

Postby master keeper on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:01 am

hilaroius! :D :eek:
master keeper
Prince

Postby ayh on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:01 pm

Originally posted by ONO Rocks:
What did you do, re-record the intro to "Fools Gold" ?
No,there's just some lyrical reference to a guy named Phil while I'm in jail

This thread never disappears it just shows up every 6 months in a different place

Dig this, Gorham Guitar Perspective
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby spangled99 on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:09 pm

Thanks for posting that. :cool:
spangled99
Baron

Postby Jailbreak on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:12 pm

I just have to chip in on this thread.

'59burst wrote: "gary plays the solo on don't believe a word! how do you like that?"

:D
"Is there anybody with any Irish in them?"
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby 1959burst on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Jailbreak:
I just have to chip in on this thread.

'59burst wrote: "gary plays the solo on don't believe a word! how do you like that?"

:D
ya better do some research bro! ;)
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby master keeper on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:43 pm

+1 '59!
master keeper
Prince

Postby Ned B on Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:12 am

I don't think of Gary Moore as a guitar duo kind of player. I wonder what LT was like as a 3-piece in I believe around '74.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Jailbreak on Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:10 pm

'59burst wrote: "ya better do some research bro!"

Er...you're gonna have to educate me then. I thought the first appearance of Don't Believe a Word was on the 1976 album Johnny the Fox with Robbo providing the wah solo. Please correct me if I'm missing something. :(
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby Jailbreak on Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:27 pm

Ned B, Lizzy were great as a three piece with GM - Little Darlin' and Sitamoia spring to mind as studio recordings, but some of the "live" stuff I have (BBC sessions mostly) is really cool, aggressive stuff. :)
Jailbreak
Peasant

Postby ayh on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:06 pm

Ned B, Lizzy were great as a three piece with GM - Little Darlin' and Sitamoia spring to mind as studio recordings
Yeah,I love that stuff.I hope some more of it comes to see the light of day.If there is more

I just watched the Rainbow Theatre show again with Robbo/Gorham.The headbangin kids during Don't Believe A Word are hilarious

Phil's flatpick strum bass style is sure unique aint it?
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby master keeper on Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:01 pm

'59burst wrote: "ya better do some research bro!"

Er...you're gonna have to educate me then. Please correct me if I'm missing something. :(
That's exactly what he's doing. It IS gary playing on that song, though he never got credits for it!!!
master keeper
Prince

Postby Jailbreak on Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:10 am

That's exactly what he's doing. It IS gary playing on that song, though he never got credits for it!!!
Gary played the solo on Still In Love With You from the Nightlife album, never getting the credit for it. Brian Robertson played the solo on Don't Believe A Word from the Johnny The Fox Album.

I speak the truth, honestly!!
Jailbreak
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Lounge