Cocaine wins again

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: Cocaine wins again

Postby ayh on Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 pm

I hear y'all.I have a brother who's managed his way into San Quentin by way of cocaine.This is the guy who actually bought me my 1st instruments,turned me on to tons of cool records and took me to my 1st concerts
He has a college education yet managed to lose his home ,family, everything.He's totally missed out on his 18 year old son's growing up.
:( :( :(
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:01 am

greg it is epidemic down here i too am a reformed addict and i do not participate in a 12 prog because im so done i dont ever wanna hear about it most of the recovering folks are damaged so badly its little better then being full on .hats off to you for kicking it i hear its a real biatch.im so grateful ive managed to stay clean for some years....im sure you understand guitars amps girls drugs were all part of the tapistry of our time.it does not make ya bad it makes ya better to have lived it and survived it .normys will never understand guys like us .but alot of people do.my younger brother kevin died of a herion booze overdose 27 months ago..he just couldnt stop.......tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby Met_K on Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:00 am

Kevlar, I understand if this is a little too close to home or personal, but this has gotten the best of me most the day. Why did he feel such the urge to do everything once before 40? What compelled him to go through all of that so suddenly?
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby Kevlar3000 on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:11 am

Originally posted by Bryce Prewitt:
Kevlar, I understand if this is a little too close to home or personal, but this has gotten the best of me most the day. Why did he feel such the urge to do everything once before 40? What compelled him to go through all of that so suddenly?
It is ok, I have asked him the exact same things... He is this driven, successful, (pyschologist, how's that for irony, the man can't help himself) vibrant guy who also was arrogant as hell about his talents. At the time of him starting coke his private practice was rolling, life was great, got a couple Harley's, a 32 foot yacht, you know living the good life... ( While still being cool hanging out with a high school diploma toting guy like myself, he was an amazing amount of fun to be around) I think he felt there was nothing he could not do or handle and in a brash moment of deciding he wanted to fully experience life and firmly believing he would still be above it all he decided to try the drugs on a whim. That was it, only took him one time.

Before the drugs he was extremely proud of his sobriety, the guy never had a sip, a puff, nothing. He felt users were pathetic people with no will. I personally never would have guessed that 6 years later this would be going on. If anyone could stop it was that guy... He has had a year and also 9 months with no use and it keeps calling his name.

I guess life teaches us lessons in unusual ways, maybe in his case he had some real stuff to learn and this was the path to it... Hell I don't know, I can chase those theories forever.

The latest from the hospital reports some improvement, I was initially told he had an 80 percent chance of dying. While still unconcious he has some stabilization of vital signs. He can't breath on his own and I was told they expect to keep him on oxygen for 3 weeks. He has a staff infection through his entire body from contaminated needles and that is the big battle right now. So it is still hour to hour. It's weird if he recovers he still is in the same mess that got him there. He sees it very clearly, but he can't find the path to get off the stuff.

I appreciate all the personal stories, some of you have really fought the good fight and it is nice to hear you all be honest about it. I know it helps me. My sympathies to all those that have lost loved ones, the stuff truly takes your soul with it. I go from sad to angry to indifferent but if he goes I am gonna miss the guy, and I am already 6 years into missing the guy I used to know.
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:50 am

Regarding the drug therapy for depression, the Prozacs and the Zolofts aren't the answer, especially long term because they stop working and damage the brain after ten years.

There's been a lot of recent discovery about how the endocrine system (hormones) influence the brain and depression, most particularly Growth Hormone. Growth Hormone gets it's name for making us grow as kids. However, as adults, much less is made and it's role then becomes a maintenance hormone. It has a profound impact on the brain and depression. Too little will leave you suicidal, yet most docs never know to check it and instead give crazy drugs as bandaids.

I was unlucky and got Lyme Disease about 7 years ago and it was just diagnosed 1.5 years ago. So really got hammered internally and my pituitary gland was fried. You can also fry your pituitary with most heavy drugs, head injuries, chemotherapy, etc. So I was a mess. I was lucky to get tested and find out that I had no GH production. I now give myself a shot of the hormone every day, the amount my body would make at age 20, and my spirit is back to normal. I tried all the anti-depressant drugs and they made me sick or didn't work much with lots of side effects. So I've naturally treated the problem, and everything is cool in that regard.

I would strongly suggest that anyone with serious depression or thrist for doing drug to feel better should have a GH Stimulation Test to check to see if you're making enough GH. It doesn't make you grow at low doses, it maintains what you have. If your pituitary is working, it releases your GH into the blood in your deep sleep. GH does so many other important things besides regulate mood, but that's the topic here.

FYI, the only real GH is injectable. The fake stuff is everywhere on the net and spam emails with sprays and pills. The real deal has to be a shot.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby drewl on Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:59 am

I feel for you, I too have lost friends this way including one of the best damn drummers I've ever had the pleasure to play with.

Just like animals for munching on, these substances are on the planet for a reason.....some people just have addictive personalities and can't enjoy a little now and then.
me? I'm addicted to guitars amps and pooontang!
drewl
Prince

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:53 pm

i dont know where the cutoff point is with youth and immortality but it is a certain point when your body just cant take anymore rollercoaster rides.no more matterhorn or space mountain for me not even mr toads wild ride.i have become a fugitive from the law of averages in the drug game so im out out out.and mark my words we have only seen the tip of a larger iceberg that many ships we know will founder on.no one has really documented the long term effects of all these party favors ....stay tuned the list will grow.for every action there is a reaction tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby Kevlar3000 on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:13 pm

Originally posted by Tube Tramp:
i dont know where the cutoff point is with youth and immortality but it is a certain point when your body just cant take anymore rollercoaster rides.no more matterhorn or space mountain for me not even mr toads wild ride.i have become a fugitive from the law of averages in the drug game so im out out out.and mark my words we have only seen the tip of a larger iceberg that many ships we know will founder on.no one has really documented the long term effects of all these party favors ....stay tuned the list will grow.for every action there is a reaction tt
It is unfortunate for my friend that he started at 40. After never having a chemical stimulas in his bloodstream he went full bore. I don't think he will make to see what you learned.
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby ranger on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:32 pm

The drug war is just as bad a war as any. I have the perfect solution...

Unleash the power of the US special forces on the drug lords in latin america, 'clear and present danger' style.

I honestly don't understand how the most powerful nation the world has ever known can't coerce the poor 3rd world countries that pump this poison out into turning a mindful eye to this problem.

Loosen the rules of engagement on this problem. Turn the current judicial system into a 'justice system' not a 'legal system'.

Other thoughts:

I think some of the new drug commercials are going to have a positive effect on people. I also think that they are just a governmental band-aid on the problem, and that the real solution comes through strict disciplining and trusting of our kids.

More to come, I'm sure.

Have a great day :)
Self-Pity. I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen
dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. DH Lawrence
ranger
Squire

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:34 pm

no cause i was like keith richards and he strongly urged people not to try and keep up with him!! starbucks is about as hopped up as i care to get these days...id kinda like to stick around so i can scare the crap out of my daughters boyfreinds.....tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby TubeGetter on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:48 pm

I tried it once back in my 80's party days, and it didn't do much for me. I had had a lot of beer that night, and all it did was wake me up and make me feel more alert. I think my supply of available dopamine in the brain was already used up that night. LOL.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby Rid on Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:59 pm

Unleash the power of the US special forces on the drug lords in latin america, 'clear and present danger' style.

I honestly don't understand how the most powerful nation the world has ever known can't coerce the poor 3rd world countries that pump this poison out into turning a mindful eye to this problem.

Loosen the rules of engagement on this problem. Turn the current judicial system into a 'justice system' not a 'legal system'.

Other thoughts:

I think some of the new drug commercials are going to have a positive effect on people. I also think that they are just a governmental band-aid on the problem, and that the real solution comes through strict disciplining and trusting of our kids.

More to come, I'm sure.

Have a great day
^Too much money in it, will never happend and the market wants supplies, it is just something that cannot be beaten that way.
Sorry to hear it Kevlar.....I have schoolmates that are in their graves now due to drugs and alcohol, all of them spoiled bored kids with way too much money and time on their hands.
Their families still wonders what the hell went wrong.
Time is up.
Rid
Certified

Postby outlier on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:01 pm

Spot-on. The more illegal something is made, the more profitable it is to traffic. There are likely some very powerful people in the USA, effectively above the law making fortunes and paying off the right people. The economic boom that is Florida is not just due to tourism...

Anyone remember who John DeLorean's unindicted co-conspirator was?
outlier
Baron

Postby ranger on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:23 pm

Originally posted by N W Klausen:

Other thoughts:

More to come, I'm sure.

Have a great day
^Too much money in it, will never happend and the market wants supplies, it is just something that cannot be beaten that way.
Sorry to hear it Kevlar.....I have schoolmates that are in their graves now due to drugs and alcohol, all of them spoiled bored kids with way too much money and time on their hands.
Their families still wonders what the hell went wrong.
I'll do it for free, just give me the go-ahead. This is one possible field of employment that I can see myself doing, because this is one thing that pisses me off like no other. Hunting druggies is not much different than hunting terrorists, both have the same result.
Self-Pity. I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen
dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. DH Lawrence
ranger
Squire

Postby Jlwctn on Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:42 pm

Alcohol is a drug.
Screwcap... It's a way of LIFE!!!
Jlwctn
Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Lounge