Cocaine wins again

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Cocaine wins again

Postby Kevlar3000 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:13 pm

I have a buddy in his 6th year of fighting this demon and after over a year of sobriety I just learned he is in a coma with an extremely low chance of survival. He has been in I.C. since Friday unconcious as a result of yet another OD. This looks like the end of the road for a guy who was once among the most vibrant, talented people I have ever met. I have known him since 92 and have watched him decline to the point of becoming a full fledged junkie. For a time I really believed he could beat this, his will power would see him through blah, blah, blah, but I lost hope after I learned he had been useing while in treatment for the 3rd time.
What a waste....
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Re: Cocaine wins again

Postby cugel on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:17 pm

sorry to hear that and sorry for that bs earlier. that is really awful. i am in recovery myself. hope he pulls through.
...go stick this in your fusebox
cugel
Page

Postby zen.state on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:19 pm

That is sad and especially when they are so talented and have so much to offer.....

comiserations :(
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
Mark Twain
1835-1910, Author and Humorist
zen.state
Sir Moderator

Postby LongLiveRock on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:22 pm

Sorry to hear that, take care of yourself.
This is a thing called......"I'm Going Home"......by helicopter.....*10 minutes of pure guitar madness*
LongLiveRock
Baron

Postby cugel on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:26 pm

you know i beleive that a lot, if not all, addicts/alcholics are really on a quest for enlightenment. we take drugs and drink cause we think we can find that thing we are seaching for. they will work for only so long until they too prove to NOT be the answer. for me its spirituality.
...go stick this in your fusebox
cugel
Page

Postby zen.state on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:35 pm

hear hear...
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
Mark Twain
zen.state
Sir Moderator

Postby pckpat on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:43 pm

you can say no to that %^&$ a thousand times, and then it only takes one yes, and you're right back on the train to nowhere. sorry to hear about your friend,that is a pity.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Kevlar3000 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:33 pm

Originally posted by cugel:
you know i beleive that a lot, if not all, addicts/alcholics are really on a quest for enlightenment. we take drugs and drink cause we think we can find that thing we are seaching for. they will work for only so long until they too prove to NOT be the answer. for me its spirituality.
It is interesting with my friend, he was sober for 39 1/2 years of his life. Never tried a thing and he decided to try every drug one time before he turned 40. Cocaine was like the 3rd or 4th on the list. He decided that he needed to do it right if he was gonna do it so he injected it ( his honestly about this stuff has really been amazing) he knew right at that time that it was the biggest mistake he ever made in his life. ( His words) it changed everything. I remember when he called to say he was useing 6 yrs ago, he said he planned to quit but was not ready to at that point, he liked it but would soon get bored with it. By the time he decided to address it he was in the full grasp of a desparate addiction. In a university study a few years back he tested the highest addiction level ever seen during the course the treatment study. I have seen him lose motor skills ( we used to play vids together and he now can't even operate the joystick), memory and simple reasoning skills. He can't breath correctly and his body is a mess of scars. That drug became his everything. He has told me of the tears he has when the needle is at his arm and his inability to not stop.

His spiritual quest has been profound at this time and I agree with what you are saying about enlightenment, sadly for him that drug became his heaven and hell. It has been surreal to witness it. I wish you the best on your path to wellness.
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby Met_K on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's never good when we know we're going to lose someone we love.

That said, and I apologize in advance this is *not* meant to offend, but I have zero pity for things like this. I know full well what would happen if I were to try some of these things. It'd probably open up a whole 'nother level of my mind, but you know what, what good is that extra level if I can't have the functionality to grasp it?

To the day I die I'll say that what we do in life can be achieved through perseverance as easily as it can be achieved through brain-altering enlightenment, and only through perseverance can we be fully aware to enjoy the fruits of that all-natural enlightenment.

Pink Floyd may have been a drug band, but never forget that it wasn't the overuse and abuse that Syd practiced that made them the band they were, it was the idle play and guarded use of very select drugs. David's enlightenment would've been shattered had he been so drugged to the point where he couldn't play.

I guess the point of this is that I can't fathom the fascination that people have with using drugs to reach a higher plane of thought. It's all a sham. The mind can be unlocked all the same without going to such measures. Is it a lot harder? Yeah, it is. Is it a lot harder to manipulate what the locked parts of our mind can give us without resorting to substances that allow us to easily use them? Yeah, but boy howdy, you sure can work those parts over if you learn how-to do it yourself without the help of anything foreign.

Just my two cents. I don't mean to offend. I do feel sorry for people who lose their hearts, souls, and lives to this. I do. I do not, however, feel pity for their actions.
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby zen.state on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:32 pm

Indeed but also; some people take drugs to alleviate the depression they feel....to try and put some colour back into their lives...

It doesn't work ultimately but I think a lot of people use drugs to try and lighten the load...as well as to find inspiration
Mark Twain
zen.state
Sir Moderator

Postby Met_K on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:40 pm

Originally posted by zen.state:
Indeed but also; some people take drugs to alleviate the depression they feel....to try and put some colour back into their lives...

It doesn't work ultimately but I think a lot of people use drugs to try and lighten the load...as well as to find inspiration
Oh, I agree. I've done it, we all have. I happen to use alcohol instead of drugs; I feel it's just as bad, if not worse. With alcohol there's no high, there's no enlightenment, no creative peak, nothing. I feel their pain, I do. I've used it to alleviate depression and try to work color back into my life, I still do to a degree.

I feel their pain all too well. I'm being extremely selfish by saying "I do it, but I have no pity for you." Perhaps it's self-loathing. I just wish a lot of people wouldn't walk down the path that I, and my father, and my grandfather, and a whole bunch of other people have.
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby Tube Tramp on Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:46 pm

it is a crying shame how many people ive had to let go because of booze speed coke and herion it is an everyday reality here and obiturary weekly.sunday night the whole musical community in the san gabriel delta will be attending ray hernandes wake at the brass elephant .we are going to play yes even me! ray attneded every local gig i ever did and was a great drummer .drank him self to death liver got out and walked away .two of my younger friends both incredible players and technicians are both dyin right now because of there herion and vicodan and speed.addiction.these guys are 39 years old twins and and have to have there parents go out and score cause they squeal they will die if they go cold turkey? :roll: and im not kiddin you these guys got natural talent just spoiled and los angeles rasied its rough out here right now thats why i piped in on this thread ....behold i am drugs the destoyer of worlds and the taker of souls .......im startin to really see harvest of all the people still tryin to ride the pony...........t
Tube Tramp
King

Postby TubeGetter on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:31 pm

What a lot of people don't realize is that some people are messed up to begin with. There natural neurotransmitter balance isn't right, and drugs temporarily fix that problem. It something that some people that are normal can't understand or relate to. The off-balance types also have a tendency to get hooked good once they use. I'm not saying it gives them an excuse to just do it, but people have to be understanding at how difficult it really can be to not self medicate. There are other medical answers to these neurotransmitter problems than addictive drugs, but many never give it a chance.
TubeGetter
Emperor

Postby Kevlar3000 on Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Originally posted by TubeGetter:
What a lot of people don't realize is that some people are messed up to begin with. There natural neurotransmitter balance isn't right, and drugs temporarily fix that problem. It something that some people that are normal can't understand or relate to. The off-balance types also have a tendency to get hooked good once they use. I'm not saying it gives them an excuse to just do it, but people have to be understanding at how difficult it really can be to not self medicate. There are other medical answers to these neurotransmitter problems than addictive drugs, but many never give it a chance.
As a result of my friends coke habit he has destroyed his natural ability to become happy because ( dopamine... spelling??) of the drug use. He says himself he was always chasing that first high and it never was the same again. Then you try an get sober and your depressed for the rest of your life. Add to the issue is that prescription therapy does the exact same thing. Just this past week there was a huge study released regarding the massive failure of drug therapy with depressed patients. It is a mess... Alchoholism runs hard in my family and I after my cousin was shot and killed randomly when I was 19 it woke something up in me and I stopped all chemicals and have been sober for getting on 16 years. My pops still has not figured it out and my stepmom is a walking side effect of all the RX drugs she has been prescribed over the years. At one time she was on 16 different meds at the same time. I feel fortunate, and all the more so when I see a close friend losing the battle.
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby 1959burst on Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 pm

as a former coke/heroin user.......(yes i can say former not recovering!)................i'll tell you that when your hooked your f#$%^#d......got to get it completely outta your system for at least 6 months straight before you even stand a chance of kicking it..........then you have to sever ties with everybody.......in that circle,family, friends,bandmates....any one who enabled you for at least a year. then you might have a hope in hell. p.s. i'm sorry this happened to someone you know,......it's sad and a waste............just my 2cents. ;)
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge