Decline of the Music biz on Frontline last night

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Decline of the Music biz on Frontline last night

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri May 28, 2004 2:35 pm

Anybody catch that show? Very thought provoking look into the corporate mentality that has crept into (and is destroying) yet another industry. :mad: On another note, do any of you read "Tape Op" magazine? Excellent article in there by an old timer (Sears; recording engineer/musician) that talks about the sad/sloppy state of recording engineering and producing.
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: Decline of the Music biz on Frontline last night

Postby 1959burst on Fri May 28, 2004 2:52 pm

yeah i watched it, nothing new to me. ;)
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri May 28, 2004 4:03 pm

funny my drummer called me last night and was madder then hell ! i sez mike didnt you know what the hell was going on nothing new to me either.he was shocked and amazed i couldnt stop yawning after listening to his guffawaing for 15 minutes i said ok man i did it,im the reason its all mucked up .he told me the answer was unacceptable.lol.........we saw this comin in 94 that was ten years ago.drummers hmmmmph,.tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby Met_K on Fri May 28, 2004 5:28 pm

Originally posted by Tube Tramp:
funny my drummer called me last night and was madder then hell ! i sez mike didnt you know what the hell was going on nothing new to me either.he was shocked and amazed i couldnt stop yawning after listening to his guffawaing for 15 minutes i said ok man i did it,im the reason its all mucked up .he told me the answer was unacceptable.lol.........we saw this comin in 94 that was ten years ago.drummers hmmmmph,.tt
Paging Danny, come in Danny, your presence is needed on aisle 5. :D
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby OaklandDanny on Fri May 28, 2004 5:51 pm

Sorry, I was busy wiping away all the tears that were streaming down my cheeks, devastated, as I was, by trampy's cruel innuendo... then I remembered that he probably doesn't even know what innuendo means, or thinks it's a Mexican soup made from tripe... besides that, my Daddy once told me not to bother with dog poop... less'n you step in it. :D :D
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby 1959burst on Fri May 28, 2004 5:53 pm

man this is too funny continue boys! :p :p :p :p
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby t0aj15 on Fri May 28, 2004 9:37 pm

I watched it, but learned nothing that we musicians haven't been discussing for many, many years now. Frontline is generally a top flight, ahead of the pack news program, but they're really 'WAY' behind the times on this story.
"Life is not a movie. Good guys do lose, everybody lies, everybody dies,
and love... does not conquer all."
t0aj15
Knight

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri May 28, 2004 10:01 pm

danny you must understand i never eat that mex soup as i dont know what its made from, besides how you trust drummers they hit things for a living.besides they always get locked in the car before gigs with the bass players and even then it takes a couple of hours to get em out. ;)
Tube Tramp
King

Postby outlier on Fri May 28, 2004 10:38 pm

TT, just wondering. Say only the drummer is locked in the car but the bassist was able to exit successfully under his own power, using only his own wits and without any clues provided from anyone else outside of the vehicle. Which car window would a bassist then typically break if the drummer was still locked in the car?
outlier
Baron

Postby DreamTone7 on Fri May 28, 2004 10:42 pm

On the advice of your lawyer TT, I advise you not to answer that question. ;)
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri May 28, 2004 10:47 pm

thats easy mr outlier if the drummer is in the back seat the back window would be the choice,if hes in the front seat well.......the front windhield of course. bassists are very pragmatic and i dont think it would be too long before they figured out that helping a drummer out of a car is a form of enablement,thus not healthy and not educational for the stranded party,the thing that puzzles me most is that basist and drummers make alot more money then guitar players as most of us have to walk or ride the bus.so i say the hell with em let em sort out how to get out of the vehicle by themselves :D
Tube Tramp
King

Postby outlier on Fri May 28, 2004 10:53 pm

Aha! You're mostly correct, BUT a smarter-than-average bassist would just break the smallest car window so he could hand his cellphone to the drummer, who in turn would use the cellphone to call OnStar so they could send a satellite signal to the car and unlock it. Presto!

Another scenario would be in which the bassist breaks the smallest window so the drummer can hand his cellphone to the bassist who will dial it for him and then hand it back.

You've heard the radio commercials - "LISTEN TO THIS ACTUAL RECORDING FROM ONSTAR :"

"Uh, hello, uh, OnStar, uh, this here's the drummer and um locked in a car again and there's glass all over the seat and it's kind of pointy and stuff and hurts and it's hot too. In the car."

"OK, OK, we're going to send a signal to you right now. Let me know if you're able to get out..."

"Yaay! Yaay!"

"Thank you for choosing OnStar and remember, we're here for you twenty-four hours a day to help get you out of your car safely and quickly."
outlier
Baron

Postby Tube Tramp on Fri May 28, 2004 11:06 pm

lol. danny hasnt piped in hes prolly in the car again.well hes got dogs that will bark loud enough to attract someone that can get him back in so he can rebuke us.////tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby OaklandDanny on Fri May 28, 2004 11:29 pm

Don't make me kill again. I have nearly forty years experience nailing guitar plowers with a well-aimed 5B drumstick... Thank goodness for condoms. We'd be over-run with lead guitarists, staring at their feet, if the rhythm-method was the only alternative for birth-control. :D :D
lord, what have I bitten off into here. Don't we have a rule "h"... No drummer jokes allowed?
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby Tainted on Fri May 28, 2004 11:37 pm

Dang I missed that on pbs....grrrr
--------------------
Yeah well, Your reality may vary.
Tainted
Squire

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge