need to find cream machine schematic. can someone help m

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

need to find cream machine schematic. can someone help m

Postby grafemberg on Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:09 pm

can someone help me with "Hughes & Kettner - CREAM MACHINE" schematic? thank you :)
grafemberg
Page

Re: need to find cream machine schematic. can someone help m

Postby grafemberg on Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:21 pm

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/hughesandkettnercreammachine.html

I'm answering to myself just in case anybody else needs the same information. great site BTW.
grafemberg
Page

Postby thebugman on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:01 pm

the cream machine is really nice, the crunch master is even better. great little machines for recording!
thebugman
Knight

Postby grafemberg on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:37 pm

the cream machine (that I own since a dozen of years) has too much distortion and too few basses. now I'm ready to start modding it to perfection.

I'll let you know.

btw I use it as a "night amp" directly connected to the speaker; since my marshall NMV is too loud for night practice, expecially when crancked.. hahaha :D
grafemberg
Page

Postby erigm on Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:18 pm

I have heard of other people modding these by just bypassing the transistors on the front end (between the input and the first tube gain stage). You can do this with a simple toggle. From what I remember they said it still had plenty of gain, was quieter (less noise), and sounded more tube-like (duh). I would like buy a cream machine from a friend, but he is not selling. What tubes do you recommend for the Cream Machine?
-erigm
erigm
Certified

Postby grafemberg on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:49 pm

according to the schematic tubes have to be:
ECC83(12AX7) and ECC82(12AU7)

when I got the rack (used) it had two 12AX7, I already changed the first with a 12AY7 reducing the gain a bit.

now I finally obtained an ECC82 and I'm gonna test it with this pair (12AY7 & 12AU7).

I'll let you know since a couple of days.
grafemberg
Page

Postby thebugman on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:49 pm

The cream machine is really simple, has no EQ, just gain and master. Is has a cool grind to it. However good tubes are a must..I used a philips ecc83 and a brimar ecc82. You're right about the absence of bass, an additional EQ is not a bad idea for more tonal possibilities. I had both the cream machine, which is kind of marshall-like (jcm800), and the crunch master.
The crunch master is the one I still use at home. It uses one ecc83 in the pre and one el84 in the power amp. The tone is somewhere in fender meets vox territory, the el84 is a real plus tonewise! again, I use superb tubes with it (philips miniwatt for nicest high-end). The tone is great when played thru a real cab, and still useable when used with the cabinet emulator of the unit. I would recommend the crunch machine very much, since it is a bit more versatile than the cream machine and has a nicer clean sound. the cream machine does the nasty high-gain thing better though!
michael
thebugman
Knight

Postby grafemberg on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:21 pm

I tried with the combo: 12AY7 & 12AU7(ecc82) and the large amount of gain is reduced, now is more versatile. what a nice low gain!.. but I have to mod it to save more bass freqs.
grafemberg
Page

Postby grafemberg on Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:45 pm

ok I tested it in studio for a couple of hours. killertone it is perfect to push you over the band mix during solos. no need of more basses.

the combo 12ay7 12au7 is good for semi-clean bright crunching sounds..

mmmm
grafemberg
Page

Postby bolero on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:09 pm

I had one of those, but sold it because it was pretty much a one-trick pony.

I thought of modding it, but couldn't find any schems haha great idea you've got. a tone control would be nice on it.

I did keep my original tubeman: it has an eq, cops the same sounds, as well as a greater variety + cleans etc. much more versatile
bolero
Squire

Postby grafemberg on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:52 am

modded!
I bypassed the first (solid) state, loosing 30db circa, but saving almost all of my guitar's frequencies. I added a switch to convert from mod to stock. I replaced the original 12ax7 tube in the first slot.
IT SOUNDS VERY GOOD, almost near a crancked plexy (I have a 1987x to tell that)... I have to try it in studio.. let you know
grafemberg
Page

Postby thebugman on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:14 am

hi grafemberg
I would be interested in this bypass mod,
is it easy to do for beginners? Although I sold my cream machine, I'd be ready to get another one sometime...
michael
thebugman
Knight

Postby grafemberg on Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:14 am

the mod is ok for beginners.. I'll early post the documentation on this board
grafemberg
Page

Postby Creamer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi

sorry to revive this thread but I have searched and cannot find this mod anywhere.

Please help if anyone knows this mod to bypass the input transistor stage on the Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine to reduce gain and restore bass frequencies.

Thanks!
Creamer
Peasant

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain