Any Steve Hackett fans out there?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Any Steve Hackett fans out there?

Postby StratCat69 on Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:27 am

I was wondering if there were any other Steve Hackett fans lurking around on the board.<P>Steve, along with EJ, is probably one of my biggest influences, not only for his playing style but for his tone also.<P>I was fortunate enough to see one of his solo shows back in the 80's and his live <BR>lead tone was BRUTAL. I was too far back to see what he had equipment-wise and only caught a slight glimpse of the man himself from time to time. <BR>So if there are any Hackett fans here that might happen to know what he might have used then or back in the old days with Genesis, I would be greatly appreciative.
StratCat69
Peasant

Re: Any Steve Hackett fans out there?

Postby randallg on Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:06 am

I have been a Steve Hackett fan since the first time I heard "Selling England by the Pound" in '73. I was in 9th grade and loved it! Rutherford also added a huge amount with his fantastic 12 string playing. I saw Steve a number of times in the 80's, and the last time was about 9 years ago in Redondo Beach. He was using 2 Marshall half stacks (I think jcm 800's). I "think" a 100 for clean, and a 50 for overdrive. A great sound - they even played a 12 bar blues for an encore - as it was a new band and Steve said they didn't know any more tunes! But his dirty sound did get a little too much digital reverb.......<P>I have read that in the early days he used a English (?) H&H transistor amp through a Hiwatt cab. What a tremendous player - he should be scoring films or doing something else with his originality. I know there are alot of his cd's at the Camino (?) records site - but of course they are all imports and expensive. Hackett fans unite! Randy :D
RandallG

I work in marketing for these cool effects
www.sourceaudio.net
my tunes! http://www.myspace.com/randygollard
randallg
Peasant

Postby StratCat69 on Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:12 am

Thanks for the response! <BR>I was beginning to wonder if I was the only Hackett freak on this board.<BR>For some reason, I have a hard time picturing Steve playing through SS H-H amps. I had always had this image of him playing through 50 watt Marshall heads (of course its pretty obvious I have got WAY too much time on my hands)<P>I'm also pretty awe-struck that you had seen them in their prime (IMO). A guy that used to open for my band (singer/songwriter opening for a prog rock band; go figure) had seen Genesis on their 1st tour of the States, right here in my home town at York College; he said he was sitting on the gym floor about 3 feet away from the stage. Gabriel comes out made up to look like this really old man. He said it was scary enough as it was (altered state of mind), but he said what pushed him over the edge, was that he was on these stilts too, and was over 8' tall. So here is Peter Gabriel made up to look like some 8' tall old man singing "the Musical Box"; I think I would have freaked out too.<P>If you find out any more about Hacketts equipment let me know!
StratCat69
Peasant

Postby randallg on Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:47 am

StratCat - that is most cool. I believe Gabriel wore the "old man" mask on "The Musical Box". The first time I saw them was in '76. I saw them for a number of years after that, until they got too poppy. For more on Hackett's gear, I think his official website (www.stevehackett.com) should have some info. I would imagine that the british guitar rags have more on him than guitar player, where he has gotten about a paragraph in the last 15 years. For Genesis info, you also should get the book by Armando Gallo, which is very nice.<P>Did you get "The Tokyo Tapes" cd? There's also a dvd which I must get.<P>I mentioned earlier that he used jcm-800's because of the "large" Marshall logo - and generally the tone seemed to have alot of preamp gain (fine by me - I have a boogie mark III and an old Marshall). He also used a new black LP Custom with a Kahler.<P>Talk about melodic solos - each one is different, and his has some nice tricks too (2 handed tapping in 1973 - who was doing it then?) And his nylon string playing is always stellar. I love the blues based players but some of the classically influenced guys really add a missing element (malmsteen, blackmore, morse, hackett, howe). Thumbs up - Randy (I still have my 1980 tour t-shirt) ;)
RandallG

www.sourceaudio.net
randallg
Peasant

Postby GroundhogKen on Sat Jan 19, 2002 8:14 pm

Steve Hackett steered me beyond my early heavy metal influences (Blackmore and Tony Iommi.)<P>IMO, Selling England By The Pound is the best Genesis album. I feel Genesis went downhill fast after Hackett's departure.<P>I loved Voyage of the Acolyte, Spectral Mornings and Defector. I thought Hackett kind of went downhill after that--didn't care for the drum machine.<P>I saw him in 1981 on the Cured tour. I loved that show--especially The Steppes with that strat and the E-bow. <P>I'd love to see him again if he came to town. BTW, I don't care for his singing.<P>Ken
GroundhogKen
Certified

Postby randallg on Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:46 pm

I don't even think he has a record deal in the US (all his newer stuff seem to be imports) so I guess it's too expensive for him to tour here with a band. He could be like Chuck Berry, and just hire a new band in every town. Hell, I'd be his tech for free in L.A.!<P>You're right about his singing - I'll pass also. Check out the "Tokyo Tapes" for some new playing of some old cool stuff.
RandallG

www.sourceaudio.net
randallg
Peasant

Postby StratCat69 on Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:25 pm

Just wanted to pass on some AWESOME news!<BR>This year's NEARfest (North East Art Rock Festival) is going to have a killer line-up, headlined by none other than Steve Hackett!!! :D Aside from SH from being there, other outstanding prog bands such as Enchant, and PA's own Echolyn will be performing. I'm so psyched I could ****!<BR>If you'd like to check out the site for the Fest, let me know.<P>Chad
StratCat69
Peasant

Postby randallg on Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:31 am

cool news, StratCat. Please send the web address so we can check it through. Was thinking of "Hairless Heart" today - I haven't heard that in years. Think I'll have to get "The Lamb" on disc. Randy :p
RandallG

www.sourceaudio.net
randallg
Peasant

Postby StratCat69 on Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:36 pm

Here you Randy!<P>This years fest looks like they're pulling out all the stops!<BR> <P><A HREF="http://www.nearfest.com/nearfest/bandsfor2002.asp#enchant" TARGET=_blank>NEAR-Fest</A><P>You might want to check out Amazon's music section. They have just about all of Hacketts entire catalog, most at domestic release price!<P>Chad
StratCat69
Peasant

Postby jmp2204 on Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:21 pm

wow, I was just using SH as an example of two-handed tapping pre-Van Halen. I set up my turntable and played "Dancing Out with the Moonlit Knight" to demonstrate. God, I love that album, especially on vinyl. Their tunes were so creative and different. Try the recent box set, the Live "Lamb" set is worth it alone. Would kill to see video of the Lamb tour, it exists, seen bits of it on documentaries, etc.... I also love the Genesis Live laserdisc, post-Gabriel, but with Bill Bruford on drums!
jon
Could you repeat that?
jmp2204
Squire

Postby naonaohiko on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Please check my photo. There are many information about Genesis equipment gear include Steve Hackett.
http://genesislive.ning.com/profile/NaohikoKadoya
naonaohiko
Peasant

Postby Slam on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 am

Wow, I was just debating on whether to start a Hackett thread thinking i may be alone here, glad i decided to search first. Selling England By The Pound made me an outcast in High School.
I would rather hear Collins sing it, but here is a good look at Hackett playing "Blood on the Rooftops" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO_CX3ytvd4
Wind and Wuthering of course.
Slam
Court Jester

Postby Camembert Electrique on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Love his work with Genesis. I'm a HUGE fan of Gabriel- era Genesis, by the way. Favourite songs: The Knife, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed, Suppers Ready. Favourite albums: Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, followed swiftly by The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

As for my favourite Hackett moment: His solo in Lamia from the live rendition of The Lamb album in that Archives box that came out not long ago.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby classalpha on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 pm

... I'm probably the only person on the planet who liked GTR... :lol: I especially liked the Strat that Hackett was using during that period - the silver (or light blue?) Schecter w/ Roland GR 707 electronics, Duncan & Bill Lawrence single coils & locking trem (APM-era Kahler?). A very '80s looker that Strat 'twas... just my *style*... 8)
classalpha
Squire

Postby jmp2204 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 pm

About five years ago, I got to see SH at an in-store appearance at a local Borders(!) Huge crowd, maybe 200 people on a Sunday afternoon. He came out with a nylon string through a modest PA and played a lovely medley of Genesis tunes featuring his playing. Never felt a room gasp collectively like that before, he immediately put everyone in the same place. Very nice guy, very reserved and British. What a fine afternoon that was!

I just noticed I posted in this thread eight years ago, too!
jon
Could you repeat that?
jmp2204
Squire

Next

Return to Signature Tones