Classic Carlsbro Top 50 is back!

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Re: Classic Carlsbro Top 50 is back!

Postby DunxB on Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:14 pm

We decided on the 50 TOP first because 1. It rocks, and 2. it has a look more familiar to players who didn't see the original. The TC's look a bit unusual, so would be harder to market initially but are certainly under consideration.
The cream finish/black plate version we had at NAMM looked gorgeous (in my humble opinion), but you know what guitarists are like ; mostly they buy any colour as long as it's black. Henry Ford must have invented rock n roll.
DunxB
Squire

Postby Tube Tramp on Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:43 pm

duncan i was astounded to find out that the hardware in my tc 60s are identical to old marshall jtm45s making the output and power trannys worth several times more than the whole amp.i have a tc and a tr that i will never part with.they stand with my hiwatt as the ones that wont go anywhere.i regret selling my top 50 as it was mint but after owning one i have alot of respect for what you guys did in those days .now lets here some clips....tt
Tube Tramp
King

Postby Sterling # Sound on Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:12 am

Yesterday I was at the Frankfurter Musik Messe and spoke to the people of Carlsbro who were friendly enough to tell me all about the new 50 Top, how it was made and with which components.

I tried the amp and I must say... :( it is probably as good if not better than my 1969 Laney!! kringle what a gorgeous sound. Very dynamic, very easy to play and warm and crunchy. This by the way was just one setting (bass, mid, and treble halfway) and the volume on 2! There must be a lot of sounds in this top.

The cabinet is also excellent, I cannot wait to lay my hands on this one.
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby jimytheassassin on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 am

Hi, I'm new here so first a quick hello. :D Next I would like to apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but it's for a good reason. I realize making a "necro-thread" from so far back can be frowned upon {especially from a newbie} but please be kind.

This very thread was the starting point of my discovery; That I had stumbled upon the 2003 - 59 Spirit Prototype made by Carlsbro! In addition to this, I also found the blonde 2003 - 50 Top 4x12 and 50 Top head {in matching blonde} shortly afterwards in two completely different states. Talk about a needle in a haystack, but it was blind luck. After gratuitous amounts of research, I eventually contacted Duncan Boniface, who has been an absolute pleasure to speak with. I have a lot to say about these amps, both of which receive high accolades from me personally.

Sorry if the pictures don't post correctly {preview shows them cropped}. I'll try to figure this one out if that's the case.

jimytheassassin
Peasant

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers