Miles Platting vs Wilsic 50w info please.

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Miles Platting vs Wilsic 50w info please.

Postby LD50 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 am

Just picked up one of these.

The amp is astonishingly clean and original with Douglas transformers and true PTP wiring, GZ34 and a pair of EL34s. I can post pics when I find a replacement 3rd party for Photobucket ( :ick: ).

The head cab is, I think, the original made reasonably well of chip board and covered in a leatherette type vinyl, may or may not be original. It has chrome corner protectors.

I am aware that these were a JHS mail order line so I imagine the cabinet work would not have been of the highest spec.

It has no logo and no rear ID plate (were they stuck on?). The front has a couple of holes several cms apart centred (unlike the Miles Platting that seems to have the logo high to the left.

How do I tell which one it was?

I plan to clean it up, see if the filter cans reform, test the valves etc and see how she sounds. They seem to have quite a following, hope to find out why!
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: Miles Platting vs Wilsic 50w info please.

Postby Mr. Foxen on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:50 pm

New music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby LD50 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Mr. Foxen wrote:https://ampstack.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/miles-platting-wilsic-sound-hornby-skewes-50w-amp-guts/

Yes, many thanks, I have already seen your blog.

The guts all seem perfect at first pass. Just trying to figure if the box is all original (cloth type and fitting with staples looks quite similar.

Wonder if anyone has a logo or one I can copy?
LD50
Prince

Postby javamagic on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 pm

I had a Miles-Platting 100w guitar head for a while and can confirm that the chipboard cabinet is right for these amps, not sure about the chrome corners. I do recall that the chassis was a tight fit with the Douglas transformers! As for the difference between M-P and Wilsic, I think that's entirely down to the badge. Apart from that they are identical. I think that a M-P PA head I acquired a few years back (and have rebuilt as a Plexi clone) had a Wilsic label on the back but that may not apply to all models.

Did you get this amp recently from a guy in Nottingham? Just curious as I had been watching some gear on ebay. :)

Btw, the Miles-Platting logo is as it appears on the advertising, i.e. same typeface. Let me know if you need a size and I can measure mine at soem poiunt in the near future. Then you can at least do a half-decent copy.
javamagic
Court Jester

Postby LD50 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 am

Yes, that is the one I acquired.
Bit of a punt but I recognised the front panel layout, just one pic. too. I think the other one is a Kelly, so might be worth a look too.

To my delight inside and the transformers are pristine, need to see if the valves are ok. The head cab still has the foil Faraday shield in place so probably is original.
I would like to restore it back to 100% with a correct logo so would like to take you up on your offer of dimensions.
Inspection this morning shows that the PAT testing certificate is 2007 and the blue RS dual 32uF cans are venting powder so I will have to replace those ASAP.
LD50
Prince

Postby javamagic on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:29 pm

LD50 wrote:Yes, that is the one I acquired.
Bit of a punt but I recognised the front panel layout, just one pic. too. I think the other one is a Kelly, so might be worth a look too.

I was quite interested in both of those too but Nottingham is a bit of a trek from Guildford. However, if the price is right...
Actually the other amp is a Simms-Watts AP100 MkI, the first version without the presence control. The cab is not original but if the rest of the amp is it would definitely be worth a punt, especially as he's now reduced the starting price to £100.

I just had a look at the catalogue pages on my computer and can tell you that the logo I have from the PA head is a fair bit smaller than those on the guitar heads. Your best bet might be to scan the logo and scale it up to the right size. It also looks like the M-P amps also had black plastic corners. Hope that helps. :)
javamagic
Court Jester

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers