Help identifying Fane speakers

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Help identifying Fane speakers

Postby LD50 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi all
I just picked up and early 70s Orange cab with two pairs of Fane speakers.

All 122/14 labels with cast aluminium frames, each says 122/14 wit 14,000 gauss, 15ohms and 22watts.

Two have Orange labels and 010 003 cones (pulsonic I guess) with large dust caps, ridges and no whizzers and black modern gaskets.

Two have silver fane labels but the cone codes are 50 102 006 (again I presume Pulsonic). These have green felt type gaskets. None have coil rub or any obvious damage so I will give them a whirl.

I cannot find any info on these (nearest is 122/141 or the other 50w versions in Sound City cabs).

Are these safe with a Marshall 50watter or more importantly an attenuated OR120?
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Re: Help identifying Fane speakers

Postby BygoneTones on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Got any photos? If they are only rated at 22 watts and have large magnets they are probably early ones made before 69-ish? and will have the weaker voice coil, they used paper ones back then a bit like the early celestions.

I usually half the power rating on Fanes. eg treat a 50 watter like a 25 watter. They will complain (start rattling) if you put too much power into them in my experience.
BygoneTones
Certified

Postby LD50 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 pm

BygoneTones wrote:Got any photos? If they are only rated at 22 watts and have large magnets they are probably early ones made before 69-ish? and will have the weaker voice coil, they used paper ones back then a bit like the early celestions.

I usually half the power rating on Fanes. eg treat a 50 watter like a 25 watter. They will complain (start rattling) if you put too much power into them in my experience.

I will post some pics. I gave them a whirl with the back off using a Marshall 50w 2 in 1 (MV on half). In plexi mode sounded very crisp and direct (went into some nice funk tones very easily, plenty of definition). In 2204 mode was a bit harsh (that maybe the amp settings I used) but the speakers sound crisp and clean with no buzzes, squeaks or flapping which is good. Having noted what you said I will take it steady with the OR120 and Hiwatt type amps!! I suspect some grey back T1217s (correct era) or late greenback Hs would probably be more robust if I can find a clean quad.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 pm

BygoneTones wrote:I usually half the power rating on Fanes. eg treat a 50 watter like a 25 watter.

+1

@LD50 - yours may be some of the last surviving 22 watters. As aluded to, they did not stand up well in service and were quickly replaced with 40 or 50 watt versions. That said, a proper quad *should* be o.k. under a 50 watt amp. I would be very careful with an OR120.

Anecdotally, a dearly departed friend of mine (the first guy I knew to revive AC30's), once told me the best sounding cab he'd ever played through was a Fane-loaded Orange 4x12 in a studio somewhere around LAX.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Speakers and Cabinets