OT question for new Laney Klipp style build

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

OT question for new Laney Klipp style build

Postby jake.unruh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 am

So I'm amassing parts to put together a Laney Klipp 60. I want to start off by saying that it by no means is going to be a replica. I just had a lot of the parts laying around and want to get something together that resembles it tonally.
The biggest head scratcher is this:
The plate voltage on these were very high just like the supergroups, around 600v. I don't think I'm gonna go quite that high but I might use a 45/100 PT to have it around 545-550ish. I know I could just get a PT with less juice but the high b+ is part of the sound.
That being said I have a 50w Mercury Magnetics OT laying around that I was going to use for it. Should I foresee a problem with that OT with the higher B+ or should it be able to handle it?
Any thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated because I'd rather start with what works instead of smoking a perfectly good OT if it can't handle it.
thanks in advance!
jake.unruh
Peasant

Re: OT question for new Laney Klipp style build

Postby Gooch on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm

jake.unruh wrote:That being said I have a 50w Mercury Magnetics OT laying around that I was going to use for it. Should I foresee a problem with that OT with the higher B+ or should it be able to handle it?
Any thoughts or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated because I'd rather start with what works instead of smoking a perfectly good OT if it can't handle it.
thanks in advance!

I think it should be fine. You could always contact Mercury with your question for some peace of mind?
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby jake.unruh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Howdy neighbor! I see you're in Austin, also.

That makes sense to just contact them. I don't know why the manufacturer is never my first choice for specific information about a part.
Can't hurt!
Thanks for the suggestion.
jake.unruh
Peasant

Postby Gooch on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

jake.unruh wrote:Howdy neighbor! I see you're in Austin, also.

That makes sense to just contact them. I don't know why the manufacturer is never my first choice for specific information about a part.
Can't hurt!
Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that we're neighbors. Do you own any old Laneys? I have an old 50W Partridge or Partridge-style PT but unfortunately it doesn't work. I don't recall which winding is bad. Maybe you know someone that can rewind it?
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby jake.unruh on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 pm

For the sake of at least some closure on the initial question, Patrick at Mercury said that the OT would be a-ok in this application.

I have a buddy that has on the of the old Supergroup LC50 combo's. The bass player in my band has a Klipp 100 with the matching 4x12 (which is honestly why I started jonesing for this build).

I've came really close to pulling the trigger on buying a Klipp or Supergroup a couple of times, but either I lost my will or the price wasn't right.

Fortunately I can build stuff, so I can at least sate my need for that sweet Klipp channel fuzz that makes those amps so killer. It won't be a collector piece, and it might sound slightly different, but I'm confident it'll be ballpark to what I want it for! haha 8)
jake.unruh
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders