The Frisco Sound - amps from OK

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

The Frisco Sound - amps from OK

Postby Tonekat on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 pm

Anyone ever actually see one of their products? I have an old brochure and a letter from the president of the company dated Feb 1972. Judging from the use of hi-freq horns, Altec speakers, and the fact that they seem to be solid-state, they must have enjoyed a reputation as something other than "tone machines" such as those celebrated on this board.
It appears that their specialty was a "Spin", or chorus effect that may have been used multiple amps to get a 3-D spinning effect.
Tonekat
Page

Re: The Frisco Sound - amps from OK

Postby BobFisher on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 am

I worked for Frisco Sound in 1970 in Lawton OK. The products consisted of a bi-amplified system with 150 watts in the lower speaker cabinet with 2 Altec Lansing 15 inch woofers and a top cabinet with 50 watts driving an Altec Voice of the Theater horn. The company's claim to fame is they developed the world's first electronic Leslie. They called it the Frisco Spin because they were under pressure from the Leslie guys to not even refer to their product. It was exact. Consisted of a 99 transistor box where they had oscillating modulating (panel type) lamps feeding multiple series phase shifters run by cds photorresistors
BobFisher
Peasant

Postby JJman on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I hope the OP hasn't been waiting by the computer for feedback all this time. :cheers:
-If it says "Vintage" on it, it isn't.
JJman
Certified

Postby Vortexion on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 pm

BobFisher wrote:Consisted of a 99 transistor box where they had oscillating modulating (panel type) lamps feeding multiple series phase shifters run by cds photorresistors

WOW! :shock:

JJman wrote:I hope the OP hasn't been waiting by the computer for feedback all this time. :cheers:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Happy Face on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:29 pm

BobFisher wrote:I worked for Frisco Sound in 1970 in Lawton OK. The products consisted of a bi-amplified system with 150 watts in the lower speaker cabinet with 2 Altec Lansing 15 inch woofers and a top cabinet with 50 watts driving an Altec Voice of the Theater horn. The company's claim to fame is they developed the world's first electronic Leslie. They called it the Frisco Spin because they were under pressure from the Leslie guys to not even refer to their product. It was exact. Consisted of a 99 transistor box where they had oscillating modulating (panel type) lamps feeding multiple series phase shifters run by cds photorresistors

Cool story. from Lawton, no less!
Happy Face
Page

Postby BobFisher on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

Didn't mean to wait so long to post. ;) . Saw this as a Google search. I haven't seen anything on Frisco Sound in years. I used to own a stereo store in Lawton in the 80's and a Frisco Ballerina came in for repair. I should have tried to buy it. I now do proposals and link budgets for oil and gas satcoms. Wish I could support myself in building amps. A lot more fun. If anyone sees one of these out in the world, let me know. It was a fun time.
BobFisher
Peasant

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers