capacitor values

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

capacitor values

Postby docalex0 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Please can I confirm 105k picofarads is = 0.1uF and not 1uf. I've bought a DIY amp and the capacitor in a certain position in the signal path needs to be 1uf. I'm sure the component is wrong . The supplier says my maths is wrong . Also am I likely to cause any damage if I try using it or should I just buy a 1uf 25 V capacitor to be safe as they're really cheap. Thank's
docalex0
Peasant

Re: capacitor values

Postby docalex0 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Sorry but worked this one out 10 5k = 10 00000 = 1 000 000 pf = 1uf . Hadn't realised how to read it properly so all good and amp completed :D
docalex0
Peasant

Re: capacitor values

Postby tubeswell on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 pm

docalex0 wrote:... Also am I likely to cause any damage if I try using it ...

As to damage, the capacitance of the cap is not as critical as the rated maximum voltage. If you use a cap with an under-rated voltage for the circuit you need to put it in, you will more than likely damage the cap (as well as possibly something else). Otherwise, caps of different amounts of capacitance won't damage a signal circuit (although the capacitance can affect frequency shelving, but this won't damage the amp in itself)

The only situation I can think of right now where a 'wrongly' sized capacitance might cause damage to an amp, is as a coupling cap for an AC-coupled bias supply system, where the amount of capacitance determines the input VAC for the bias supply.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins.
tubeswell
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders