Mustard identification help

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Mustard identification help

Postby tWreCK on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:22 pm

I receieved a bag of these from an old ham guy but I can't determine the value of the caps. I have no way of measuring capacitance at this time. As you can see in the picture below it's a Bianchi 22K 1000V. I'm unclear what 22K designates? Usually the values are denoted in uF. These remind of the 0.1uF mustards seen in old amps (especially looking at the size) but 1000V may be overkill in guitar amps.....

tWreCK
Squire

Re: Mustard identification help

Postby Alnico on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:46 pm

22000pF i.e. 0.022µF
Alnico
Knight

Postby tWreCK on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 am

Thx for decoding that - now I understand the logic!

The reason they're bigger than the usual 0.022uF 460V is because of the voltage rating? So there's nothing preventing one from using these in the same applications the .022uF 460V caps would normally work? Apart from looking a bit odd in Marshall/Hiwatt circuits due to their size :P
tWreCK
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:36 am

tWreCK wrote:Thx for decoding that - now I understand the logic!

The reason they're bigger than the usual 0.022uF 460V is because of the voltage rating? So there's nothing preventing one from using these in the same applications the .022uF 460V caps would normally work? Apart from looking a bit odd in Marshall/Hiwatt circuits due to their size :P

Yup, they work the same! Happy soldering :mrgreen:

This from an older post about their origin
As the mustard, they are caps of Philips patent and many of that circulate nowadays they were made in Spain by Bianchi (Philips's subsidiary company placed to two miles of my house).
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders