YBA-1 for Torren.

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Re: YBA-1 for Torren.

Postby Torren61 on Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 am

Goddang, that is one sexy box of electronics. If I was a girl amp, I would totally sleep with that amp. :lol:
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Tman on Wed May 25, 2016 7:46 am

Indeed. That is some really impressive work. :cheers:
Tman
Knight

Postby Racing on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanx guys,and that said...update time.

Magic. I friggin want magic,nah..i CRAVE magic.

Knowing all to well what to expect out of the topology i concluded that this needs to be something else. Crapshoot almost..

So. Parts of the day was spent swapping chokes. Tried ´em all,from 20H to 10H to stock 6H to (in the pic) 2,6H..and TBH i FELT the amp got better the smaller the inductance (and along that physical size).
That really defies logic TBH why i need to look into this further.

Hm.
Racing
Squire

Postby Torren61 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 am

So, about a year ago, I watched a video of Racing (Jesper) playing through an amp he had modded. VERY nice work. I made a judgement based on his demeanor in the video and the fact that the amp sounded so good. I decided to contact him about modding my 1968 Traynor. Jesper informed me that he would be happy to mod the amp but that he lived in Gothenburg, Sweden. I told him that wasn't a problem for me and I'd ship him the head. He quoted me a price of $700 USD.

I shipped him the head and PayPal'd him, through his girlfriend, the money. I figured a guy who can mod an amp like the ones he demo'd in his videos would be a man who would stand by his word. I was mistaken.

We were in frequent contact and he was doing some really nice work on the head. Then things went to sh*t. He had some life issues arise. I won't reveal those as an honorable man wouldn't. The communication got less and less frequent.

Jesper has now completely disregarded any further communication from me and I expect my amp will be sold to some other lucky individual. I asked him to at least confirm that my amp isn't going to be returned so I can just buy a replacement but he won't even do that.

I suppose I should ship him the cab I made for the head. It's custom made from African wenge wood and hand finished, by me, with tung oil. I think I have somewhere near 40 or 50 hours of my labor in it. It's very nice and will only fit THAT head so I can't use it for anything else and it'd be a shame that it should go to waste. I'm sure it would add value to the head and he could get a better price when he sells MY amp.

So, if you're thinking of having Racing/Jesper do any work for you, I advise caution. If you thinking of buying the head that he built for me, you should definitely buy it. I'm sure it sounds amazing.
Last edited by Torren61 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby serdontos on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:57 am

Wow, not how I thought this thread was going to turn out.

That really sucks, hopefully this can somehow still be resolved amicably.
serdontos
Peasant

Postby Torren61 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:17 am

Yeah, me neither. I'm really disappointed. It's not about the money. $700 won't make or break me. I liked Jesper and I think I did everything I could before posting this as my last resort. I'm resigned to the fact that I won't see that amp but I didn't want anyone else to get burned. I'll be shopping for a replacement.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Torren61 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:24 am

Jesper, it's not too late to do the right thing. I realize you had some things kicking your a$$ but you know as well as everyone else here that things happen to everyone and we deal with them the best we can and we move forward. But to take advantage of someone who has done nothing to you is wrong.

If given a choice, my first option would be to have you finish and return my amp. I have no doubt that you are a master at modding and building amps and I'd be honored to own an amp that you've modded/built. If you think the agreed upon price is too low, I'll send you the difference as well as shipping. Everyone should be able to correct a mistake. We're all human.

I really do think you're a good guy who is probably overwhelmed with life stuff right now. I honestly feel for you.

I probably embarrassed you with these posts but I was out of options. You've been here for, what, like five years? These guys here are, if not your "friends", are people who have read your posts and followed your threads. They've all been through tough times and would probably prefer to keep having you around and reading your insightful posts and threads and just forget about this thread (which I will request to have deleted when the issue is satisfactorily settled).

My second option would be for you to return the amp, as is. You can keep the $700 and I'll pay for the return of the amp. I'd even request the mods to delete this thread and I'll continue the hunt for someone to finish the amp. You can get on with dealing with your troubles but knowing you did the best you could with me.

I guess those are really the only two options that would make me happier with our current relationship.

I've offered you a couple of ways to make things right and be able to come on this forum with your head held high knowing you did the honorable thing. We're all human (except our dogs).

Come one, brother, the offer still stands for you to come holiday at my house in northern California when you realize you need a break away from everyone.

I hope you make the right decision before I have to buy another amp. And, regardless, I hope things in your life get better for you.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Torren61 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:39 pm

This is the cab I built and finished for my amp, if I ever get it back. It African wenge wood. I made two different front panels to give it a fresh look from time to time. The first panel is also African wenge wood and the second panel is paduak wood.

Image Image

Image Image
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Torren61 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Well, it looks like my Christmas Miracle didn't happen. Jesper/Racing hasn't emailed me and it looks like he hasn't even been here since December 8th to see this thread. He has, however, been very active on his YouTube. His name there is Gain Forlife. Here's one of his latest videos: https://youtu.be/K-BOQz5uyeo

The man has a lot of talent but very little honor.

I bought a de Lisle 15P Studio head. I didn't really have much choice. If any of you guys live in Gothenburg, Sweden, perhaps you could do me a favor and drop by his house/workshop. You can knock and when he comes to the door, point at him and just say "SHAME!".
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Torren61 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:10 am

I received an email. I'm expecting my amp to show. I'll post an update when/if it does.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Gooch on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Torren61 wrote:I received an email. I'm expecting my amp to show. I'll post an update when/if it does.

Good to hear that.
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby Torren61 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 am

I build power lines and I just got home from working another emergency. We've been very busy over the last week and I haven't had much time to do anything at home.

I wanna make my position a bit more clear. The last email I had from Jesper was on Oct 9th, then nothing. He'd gone dark on me before but did get back to me but the email on the 9th was the last I'd heard from him. I knew he had some really bad issues going on. I had told him previously not to feel pressured about the amp but I assumed it was understood that I still needed an occasional email to let me know he hadn't forgotten about me.

It got to a point that I said "eff it" just keep the amp if you need it that bad. When I got no response after Oct 9th, I had pretty much written off the amp.

THEN, I'd see posts and YouTube videos of other amps he was working on. I finally bought a de Lisle head when I figured the amp was gone. Several times a week I'd see the head cab I built just sitting on the floor with no more use for it. Then I got sick with the flu about a week ago and had to still work five of the seven days.

I watched a YouTube Jesper had done about a recent amp he'd finished and it just chapped my butt. MY amp was, for all intents and purposes, completed in June needing only a few tweaks and then to be shipped out to me yet here it was nearing Christmas and I had no amp and no communication from Jesper.

THAT'S why I used the nuclear option. But it didn't all happen in one day. As you can see in the VAF posts, I was trying to localize it here but he never came back to read what I'd posted. Then I went to his YouTube videos and posted what I did there. THEN I started these threads. I wanted my amp back and I knew of no other way to get his attention. Suddenly, after no communication for the last two months, it took only two days to get an email.

He's shipping the head and including some Mullard EL34s as well as a Mullard made Mazda EF86. Now, there's no way I'm going to let him do all that work plus ship the amp and vintage tubes for $700. I'll be sending him the shipping and fair market value for the tubes and I'll round it up to the nearest $50 USD. It should be close to $500 USD but don't hold me to that exact number.

This could have all been avoided if he'd dropped me an email once every week or two just saying something like "Hey, I still haven't gotten the head exactly where I want it. I need to walk away from it for a week or two and come back to it so I can try to figure out how to get this thing dialed in." I wasn't worried about how much time it was taking to finish the head, I was getting irritated at the lack of communication and the appearance that my project didn't matter or it was forgotten.

I'll be glad when the amp arrives but I didn't "win" anything here. I like/liked Jesper and I feel awful for him about the things that are happening to him and I really didn't want to add to his issues but I ask you, what else could I have done? Am I wrong here? I hope not. So, I get my amp but I lose the chance to have Jesper as a friend. He's hurt about what I did and there's a part of me that wonders if I could have handled this differently.

I wish him no ill will and I hope his life changes for the better. I have a new pile of emails from him that I intend to deal with tomorrow after I've had some much needed sleep. He thinks I've been blanking him for two days and I think he's irritated by that. Well, multiply that by two months and that's how I felt.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Gooner01 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi Torren, long time etc., I don't think you've done anything wrong here. Jesper has messed you around, maybe unintentionally, but to have left you so long without an email explaining the delay, put you in an awkward situation.
Gooner01
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 am

When your health goes south, or someone you care for starts to die, your life turns upside down. Been there. Getting better now. And all of us, except for those who go suddenly without warning, will experience this. Hopefully Racing will be back soon too.
:2cents:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby robinbowes on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 pm

@Torren61 - I sent you a PM.

R.
robinbowes
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers