HELP! Can you identify this amp?

Gibson, Valco, Gretsch, and more

Postby gba1968 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi,

A newbie here from Leeds UK.

Can anyone on here identify this amp? It has a Jensen P15Q speaker. It appears to have been a sort of 'tweed' covering before somebody painted it white many years back (GGGRRRR!!).

I think it dates to 1951/52 from the date codes, it's got 220111 on the speaker chassis, could be 1961 I suppose, but the leather handle and tweed make it look more '50s to me...

It has 4 x inputs, 2x volume controls, 2 x tone controls, and speed and strength controls (which I assume to be for tremolo, with a foot switch input).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Greg :jam:
gba1968
Peasant

Re: HELP! Can you identify this amp?

Postby Michael Patrick on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Picture is worth a thousand words... and will get you an answer a lot quicker.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby gba1968 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi, I'm trying! Keep getting the message 'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached'?? Help!! :|
gba1968
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Rear controls??? IT is not a Fender. With the trem function, it will NOT be a 1951-1952 amp because there were no amps built with onboard effects at that time. The first guitar amp with onboard efects was built in 1953 and was the Ray Butts EchoSonic...as used by Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, etc.... This map you have could be a 1961 amp of some sort.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Torren61 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Try uploading a picture to Imgur and posting that link.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby gba1968 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for your help!
gba1968
Peasant

Postby gba1968 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm

gba1968
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Looks OLD, definitely not fender as there is no circuit board and afaik all early fenders had fish paper circuit boards. this is one of those where they just install the components in the chassis and start soldering on the resistors and capacitors

which I truly dislike since I'm a neat freak, plus no circuit board = slower to assemble
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Torren61 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:50 am

Okay. I researched and I came to a dead end. That's not to say I was thorough enough to rule out anything, but here are my thoughts.

First, you have transformers that appear to date from 1951. I have no idea what the pot date codes are. Is this amp all original? Are the parts harvested from other amps to make this amp? Is this a one off from a builder sometime in the past? Who knows? I searched Valco, Oahu, Supro, Magnatone, National, Fender, Gibson and Ampeg. No matches. I searched Berkshire Transformer Corp. No info.

This is, indeed, a mystery amp. Good luck!
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby MagnatoneMadness on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:47 am

Hard to say without knowing what's original and what isn't. I'm guessing, with some experience with vintage amps and experience with guessing, that it's an early Danelectro. The split chassis and the cupcake knobs suggest Danelectro. The lack of a brand on the control panel suggests it's rebranded, maybe there's a vestige of screening of the brand on the control panel, hard to say from here. There's a plate missing from the top center of the front of the cabinet., which may have been the brand badge.
MagnatoneMadness
Peasant

Postby gba1968 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks for all your help! The closest thing I can find is an Ampeg M15 aka 'Big M'. The rear cover panel is the same shape, Jensen P15 etc. However the tweed and grille cloth don't appear to be used on these. The year still baffles me '51? '61? I thought the knobs might help identify it but can't find another amp that uses these....
gba1968
Peasant

Postby Torren61 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Plus, the speaker baffle doesn't look, to me, to be original.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Torren61 wrote:Plus, the speaker baffle doesn't look, to me, to be original.

that would explain a lot

mystery amp!!!!

does it work? :jam:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Torren61 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Unit_1 wrote:
Torren61 wrote:Plus, the speaker baffle doesn't look, to me, to be original.

that would explain a lot

mystery amp!!!!

does it work? :jam:

It explains that it looks to be a replacement speaker baffle so if we're just going to talk about the speaker baffle, it explains a lot.
Torren61
Court Jester

Postby zarfnober on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:41 am

I'm guessing Lectrolab. Is the cab made out of wood or the cardboard like one Dano/Silvertone? I'm only guessing Lectrolab due to the transformer being Chicago made and the otherwise fancy looking eyelet board.

How's it sound?

Rocco
zarfnober
Peasant

Next

Return to Miscellaneous American Amplifiers