recone or original? '74 greyback

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

recone or original? '74 greyback

Postby power lover on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm guessing RIC cone/ since many did not have any codes on the cone according to web searches, but I've not come across any with the 'P' pen mark...anyone know is this original RIC cone or an old recone?
frame is T1511

power lover
Knight

Re: recone or original? '74 greyback

Postby BygoneTones on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:40 pm

looks like an original ric cone to me.

go by what your ears tell you, dont worry about what markings you can see on the cones. if it sounds good, it is good.
BygoneTones
Certified

Postby power lover on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:44 am

Ok, Ill compare to my 1221 25Wm75hz that has clear RIC stamp......this one is 55hz though - but still the light magnet - so it will sound a bit different....I plan on putting these two in a 2x12 so it will be a ric M mix 55hz and 75 hz
power lover
Knight

Postby power lover on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I've got the speaker in . Sounds great, and near identical to my other RIC 75hz except this 55hz M is a bit darker. But both are quite sweet, dark and smooth but raunchy breakup.

The red POS tab where the thin coil wire should mount on its own tab, was missing so I am just soldering the coil right to the speaker wire on the speaker wire tab...Is this ok as long as I don't overheat the wires when I solder these? I imagine I will solder/desolder these several times over it's existence and curious how risky that is seeing as there is no separation between the two tabs/wires like usual?

power lover
Knight

Postby BygoneTones on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:45 pm

looks fine to me. just use the bottom rung. its when both the little hooks break off you will have problems.

the 75hz and 55hz will probably sound very similar when A/B tested out of the cab. the difference is more noticable when they are loaded into cabs.

dark and smooht sounds about right, but they can really work for you when you dial your amp in to suit.
BygoneTones
Certified

Postby power lover on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:25 pm

They are both together in the 2x12. Yes it helps that the amp has some cut, but most good marshall have plenty. The RIC works well when the amp has both stock bright caps, which in my mind are both needed to get the real marshall crunch. I do like these cones. They are a bit different than the standard old greenbacks or blackbacks, in the way they compress and distort. And the RIC is as dark or even a tad more than the o4 cone. But it's not 'dark' it's really just another type in the way they compress that makes them appear a bit dark. They are more singular in their presentation meaning the tone is more coherant whereas the greenback tends to have a basic tone with a layer or distorted section that comes along on the ride. the RIC is more direct in it's presentation.
power lover
Knight

Return to Speakers and Cabinets