Marshall 1973x HW Output Level Control

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

Marshall 1973x HW Output Level Control

Postby BlueSkye on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Folks,

I came into a Marshall 1973x hand wired 18 watt with 2-12-inch Celestions. I'd like to be able to reduce the power output so that I can play through it retaining the tone without waking the neighbors in a townhouse community.

What's the best way, if any, to allow the amp to produce its great tone without blowing the neighbors away? I'd like to stay away from any significant circuit modifications to the amp if at all possible.

Thanks for your thoughts!
BlueSkye
Certified

Re: Marshall 1973x HW Output Level Control

Postby pdf64 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:11 am

I don't think it's possible to reduce such an amp's power output without affecting its (overdriven) tone.
Lower sound pressure levels can be achieved by reducing the sensitivity of the speakers (of course different speakers have a different tone also).
A speaker with a small magnet may help with this, eg the Celestion Rocket 50 http://celestion.com/product/20/Rocket_50/
To enable speaker sensitivity to be controllable over a wide range, I highly recommend the FluxTone system, eg the Model 10 http://fluxtonespeakers.com/model10.html
Unfortunately it's rather expensive but you did ask for the best!
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby BlueSkye on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:41 am

Whoa Daddy! The Fluxtone system is very dear indeed but it is well worth investigating. Thanks for your comments and this recommendation!
BlueSkye
Certified

Postby BlueSkye on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:23 am

pdf64 wrote:I don't think it's possible to reduce such an amp's power output without affecting its (overdriven) tone.
Lower sound pressure levels can be achieved by reducing the sensitivity of the speakers (of course different speakers have a different tone also).
A speaker with a small magnet may help with this, eg the Celestion Rocket 50 http://celestion.com/product/20/Rocket_50/
To enable speaker sensitivity to be controllable over a wide range, I highly recommend the FluxTone system, eg the Model 10 http://fluxtonespeakers.com/model10.html
Unfortunately it's rather expensive but you did ask for the best!

Listening to you was expensive :shock: I ended up ordering a FluxTone cabinet with a Model 6 (Celestion Greenback) and a Model 11 (Celestion (Big) Blue). Can't wait to play through it! :jam:
BlueSkye
Certified

Postby pdf64 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Yikes, that's big $$!
It should sound amazing :not_worthy:
To get the best tone 'out of the box' maybe ask FluxTone whether they can break them in for you.
pdf64
Knight

Postby BlueSkye on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:23 pm

I think I misled you when I used the verb "ordered". I actually purchased the cabinet used from a seller on eBay. In any event, it's "trucking" its way to me as we speak. It's a couple of years old so should be broken in nicely.
BlueSkye
Certified

Postby JeffH on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm

So what are your thoughts on the Fluxtone cab?
JeffH
Certified

Postby BlueSkye on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:11 pm

JeffH wrote:So what are your thoughts on the Fluxtone cab?

Hi Jeff,

The configuration of the cabinet I purchased has two speakers including their model 6, which emulates a Celestion Greenback, and a model 11, which is supposed to represent a Celestion Blue but with higher power capability. The cab's controls have a single rheostat for each speaker that controls the electromagnets for each speaker and, therefore, the "volume" of each. One of the rheostats, the one for the "Blue", includes an integrated switch that applies power to the circuits that generate the current for the electromagnets. There is a single input jack that applies the amplifiers output to both speakers simultaneously with no provision for using either speaker independently. I suspect this could be modified quite easily if I wanted which I may eventually end up doing. There is a two position toggle switch to allow for presenting a 16 Ω or 4 Ω load to the connected amplifier. The cabinet itself was sourced from a company called Mojotone and is very robust with high quality hardware including metal fittings inset into the Baltic birch plywood to accept the stainless steel machine screws attaching the cabinet back, etc.

Interestingly, and for the better IMHO, the cabinet can be used at it's lowest volume setting without connecting the AC power. This is due, apparently, to the fact that the speakers do have residual magnetism that was "engineered in" just for such purposes. With the Marshall 1973x cranked wide open, I can say that with certainty that, other than the volume, the FluxTone cabinet produces the same tonal characteristics of the amp regardless of the setting of the volume controls. Since achieving "bedroom-level" volume while retaining the nice sound of the amplifier was the reason I purchased it in the first place and I am quite happy with how quietly the cab allows me to play :jam: . As to how close the sound of the FluxTone speakers themselves mirror that of Celestion G12M-20, the phrase "close enough for government work" comes to mind. Not a 100% match but I find it hard to put into words what the differences are. (note: FluxTone does use OEM cones and voice coils I believe)

The used cab I bought was covered in white tolex with gold piping. I subsequently stripped the cabinet of its electronics and sent it off to Mojotone for a recover in a more traditional Marshall "Bluesbreaker" colour palette. Incidentally, the recover is very reasonably priced as well.

All in all, not an inexpensive solution by any means but I am quite happy with the outcome and I can use the cab with other amps if the need arises.
BlueSkye
Certified

Postby pdf64 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Pleased that it's worked out well for you, and that your findings are similar to mine regarding the FluxTone system.
How come the one you bought was for sale? It would have been very expensive when new.
pdf64
Knight

Postby BlueSkye on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:18 pm

The fellow who sold it said he was cutting back on his collection and he had good feedback so I said, why not. I figure I bought it for about half price of what a new one would have cost.
BlueSkye
Certified

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders