Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - sound clips!

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - sound clips!

Postby DLPublic on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 am

A few weeks ago I embarked on a project to build an Vox AC15 from the 1960 schematic, i.e. with the EF86 channel.

To keep costs down, I decided to make the two peice chassis myself, which first required me to build a sheet metal brake to make the necessary bends. After two failed attempts, I finally made a brake that was up to the task.

Currently most of the component wiring has been completed but my chosen supplier (Watford Valves) for the valves and speaker (Celestion alnico Blue) is on holiday until later this month. So in the meantime I am designing the combo cabinet into which it will all be housed. The cabinet will be made primarily with 18mm (3/4") birch plywood with 12mm being used for the chassis tray and the two back panels. An image of the current cabinet design along with its important dimensions is also available on the link given below.

Rather than duplicate progress on two forum sites, I include the following link http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=20416.0 to where the project is being documented along with lots of photos.

Dave
Last edited by DLPublic on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DLPublic
Peasant

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build

Postby gusfinley on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 am

Looking good! Let is know when it's done!
gusfinley
Knight

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build

Postby DLPublic on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Thought I would add some photos here.

Work is still ongoing...
Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - Added photos!

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Nice! Really clean work.

I'd love to see some pics of your sheet metal brake as well!!!!

Inquiring minds need to know. :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby DLPublic on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:24 am

by Unit_1 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Here are a couple of pics...

The key points are:
1) Use thick enough stock so it does not bend under pressure, especially the hinged peice.
The timber I used was approximately 100mm x 50mm.
2) Use very strong hinges as that is where a lot of strain is exerted (my original hinges bent!).
I bought a couple of 4" x3" Stainless Steel Fire Door Butt Hinges 3.0mm Grade 13.
3) I also faced the top peice with a strip of 2mm thick aluminium to provide a hard edge to bend against.
4) The face against which the aluminium strip is fixed was cut to approximately 85 degrees
so that the metal can be bent to around 95 degrees to allow for spring back.
5) The bolt holes are slotted so the top peice can be moved back to cater for metal thickness.

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Postby DLPublic on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:17 pm

My cabinet is almost ready for covering with black tolex and grille cloth.

I ordered a Celestion Alnico Blue speaker and the valves yesterday, so will not be too long before I get to hear it. :)

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:32 pm

DLPublic wrote:by Unit_1 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Here are a couple of pics...

The key points are:
1) Use thick enough stock so it does not bend under pressure, especially the hinged peice.
The timber I used was approximately 100mm x 50mm.
2) Use very strong hinges as that is where a lot of strain is exerted (my original hinges bent!).
I bought a couple of 4" x3" Stainless Steel Fire Door Butt Hinges 3.0mm Grade 13.
3) I also faced the top peice with a strip of 2mm thick aluminium to provide a hard edge to bend against.
4) The face against which the aluminium strip is fixed was cut to approximately 85 degrees
so that the metal can be bent to around 95 degrees to allow for spring back.
5) The bolt holes are slotted so the top peice can be moved back to cater for metal thickness.

Dave

Impressive work!!! :highfive:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby DLPublic on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:46 am

Looking a lot more like I want it to.

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Postby tonewoods on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Lovely...
"Guitar sound is basically where it all starts and ends for me. Give me a brownface Deluxe and that reverb tank, and we’ll get it done.”
--Joe Bonamassa
tonewoods
Certified

Postby DLPublic on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:55 am

Have now installed the gold string around the edges...

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - FINISHED!

Postby DLPublic on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:36 pm

MY DIY AC15 build is now complete...

I now have a DIY Hank B. Marvin Kit :jam:

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - is Completed!

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 am

:highfive:
Looks fantastic!

Any http://www.soundcloud.com sound clips coming soon?
:mrgreen:
:jam:

Unit_1
Prince

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - Sound Clip

Postby DLPublic on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 pm

by Unit_1 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 am
:highfive:
Looks fantastic!
Any http://www.soundcloud.com sound clips coming soon?

Here is a sound clip.

Recording conditions...
1. An SM57 microphone situated at an angle approximately 4 inches from the AC15 speaker.
2. The microphone was plugged into an 'AudioBuddy' pre-amp which then was connected to the microphone input of a laptop running Sonar X3.
3. This was a single take, i.e. no editing, with a UB Hank backing track and yes I am a bit rusty!!!
4. I have panned the guitar 75% left and the backing track 75% right so you can alter the relative balance of the two components, i.e. pan left to hear more of the guitar.
5. My HBM stratocaster was connected to channel one (the EF86 channel) via a Zoom g2.1Nu loaded with the appropriate EFTP patch created by Charlie Hall.
6. Channel volume is approximately at twelve o' clock with the top-cut approximately 9 o' clock to reduce some of the noise from my multi-FX pedal.
7. There is no post-processing, e.g. compression, gating, eq, et-al., in Sonar just the faders set as per above. So what you hear is what is coming from the amp.

https://app.box.com/s/dk4kgsxd0upwj7pbmx4n9emnfdlcmnz7
Please bear in mind this recording was intended to reflect the sound of the amp and not the quality of my playing :jam:

Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Re: Vox AC15 (1960) DIY Build - sound clips!

Postby DLPublic on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm

As someone pointed out the effects on the previous clip prevented hearing the amp clearly. So...

Here are some more clips without any effects of my AC15 at various amp channels/settings.

I decided to record a simple clip onto my Boss RC-3 looper which is then played through the amp using various settings.
The clip is of course the Animals' intro to the House of the Rising Sun (HOTRS), which back in the sixties, every self-respecting pop guitarist would learn. :D .
I haven't listened to or played it since then so apologies for any rustiness.

The setup remains a Shure SM57 mic angled in front of the speaker cone (about 6 inches away) which is connected to a laptop microphone input via an AudioBuddy pre-amp using Sonar X3 to record each track. The only post processing I did was to normalise each track to -3dB max so tonal differences would be more noticable.

The file name conventions are...
CH1 ... using Channel 1 (the EF86) - high gain input
CH2 ... using Channel II (Vib/Trem) - high gain input
V10 ... Volume at 10 o' clock (all clock positions are as viewed from the back)
V3 ... Volume at 3 o' clock
NOTC ... Top Cut turned fully anti-clockwise
TC3 ... Top Cut turned to 3 o' clock position (to remove the hiss)
BR1 ... Brilliance on position 1 (i.e. no capacitor)
BR6 ... Brilliance on position 6 (220pF capacitor) - these two positions represent the two tonal extremes
NoVIBTREM ... Vib/Trem Depth control turned fully anti-clockwise
VIB ... Vib/Trem switch in Vibrato position (Depth control around 9 o' clock)
TREM ... Vib/Trem switch in Tremolo position (Depth control around 9 o' clock)

Hope that is clear. So here are the clips...
https://app.box.com/s/erl7uf3im2n3tkuvoghatfqlesnzgtcv

Would be very interested to hear how my amp sounds compared to others based on the Vox AC15.
Dave
DLPublic
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders