Any clues as to what this cabinet and speakers might be?

That elusive piece of the overall equation, so many options and so little time to test them all — Celestion, Fane, Eminence, Jensen, JbL, Utah, Ceramic, Alnico, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x15, 4x15, 1x18 and I'm sure there are even more!

Any clues as to what this cabinet and speakers might be?

Postby chrisr on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:35 am

Hello there - long time since I posted on here when you helped me out with my Sound City Concord. Hoping you can help with a 4 x 12 cab I recently bought to try and use as an extension to the Concord but can't find any clue as to what it is.
It seems to date from the late 70s as it has a stencil on the top 'Alien Tint' who were a Manchester band around in the late 70s. It's front loaded with a detachable black weave grill cloth with white piping. It's made of particle board/chipboard and has silver bar handles in a black plastic cup although one is missing.
The speakers have no manufacturer's marking but seem well made with a dark greyish crinkle paint finish on the cast 6 leg chassis frame. The only mark I can see is what looks like a '8 ohm' print with another mark very faintly on the magnet. As you can see a couple of the speakers have been damaged and repaired. They have large off white dust caps. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of glue on the magnets which might indicate labels that have peeled off with time.
Seems the board attachment quota is full so I can't put pics in the post (unless I'm doing something wrong) but here's a link to a photobucket album with pics http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/rutte ... Tint%20cab
http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/rutte ... Tint%20cab
I hope this is ok.
Looking forward to any light you may be able to shed!
regards
Chris

PS From looking around the web I wonder if the speakers may be early HH, and cab the same or possibly early Laney - what do you think?
chrisr
Peasant

Re: Any clues as to what this cabinet and speakers might be?

Postby GTS on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:51 pm

I remember the cab well - I lugged it around often enough - I remember when it had both handles..... I can't enlighten you as to the manufacturer, but I can tell you the original owner was Steve "Howie" Hallworth, Tint lead guitarist who now works as a music teacher in Manchester. I'm still in touch with him and will pass on the link to see if he can answer the question. I also remember that the lead singer, Paddie Smith, knew some people who were making up prototype cabinets (I acquired a one-off single 15" reflex bass cab from his contacts) it's possible this originated from the same source - which would explain the lack of markings.
Ged (Bassist and founder member of Alien Tint 1977 - 1982).
GTS
Peasant

Postby Martin L on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:31 am

I have the slant version of this cab, bought from Highway Music on Deansgate back in 1982.

The drivers are indeed HH, probably PL65s.

Not 100% sure who made this cabinet, my best guess would be Leech in Salford.
Martin L
Certified

Postby BygoneTones on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:21 am

I sold one of those a few months ago. Branded "Highway" on the front. It came with a Mcgregor bass head which had exactly the same cosmetics, so maybe theres a link there. Someone told me it was probably made by Leech.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-HIGHWAY-MCGREGOR-PHILLIPS-4X12-GUITAR-OR-BASS-SPEAKER-CAB-CABINET-/152011820585?nma=true&si=kBNnguK%252F4S6kdOeJq1PcJJuA2aU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
BygoneTones
Certified

Postby chrisr on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks so much for the replies after all this time and sorry it's taken me so long to find them - it's been a while since I last checked in. Ged, thanks for the info on the history of the cab when it was with you and Alien Tint. That's great. And also MartinL and bygonetones for the info on the manufacturer.
I have used it with my Sound City concord and it sounds wonderful - taking some of the edge off the very bright Concord sound. Used it at a gig recently reciting some poetry to guitar accompaniment.
Thanks again for your replies. Knowing some of the history behind the cab makes it all the more special!
chrisr
Peasant

Return to Speakers and Cabinets