Jet Turbine HoverBoard!

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Jet Turbine HoverBoard!

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Whoa! Jet powered hoverboard. Not photoshopped!!!!

Story at:
http://techxplore.com/news/2016-04-flyb ... board.html
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: Jet Turbine HoverBoard!

Postby Jamie on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:39 am

Gotta be fake..;) The fuel consumption would be enormous. On wiki a current developed jet pack (t-73) can run about 9 minutes on 5 gallons of Jet-A. Hydrogen peroxide jets are good for about 30 seconds. I'm guessing if it were possible with that low center of gravity it would be a quick trip to the ER or morgue.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:29 am

story was posted on PHYS.ORG

not known for bs'ing.....

:dunno:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:21 am

That level of science is so beyond me.. With all the fakory on the tube I'm always a bit suspicious..;) It would be a fun ride, albeit insane.. I couldn't imagine the processing required to keep that pod upright. So many unknowns. At least he was over the lake..;)
Jamie
Baron

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:24 pm

this wasn't posted 3 weeks ago on Friday by chance?

not buying it, far too much violation of laws of conservation of matter and energy for it to be real.
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:33 pm

did you guys read the story? (link under the video). If you search for "Frank Zapata's Flyboard Air" you'll see the very large number of stories. Searched snopes, no entry. In the story it says he designed this in 2012 - guess it took four years to work out the bugs.

and it's not like he's in the air for an hour, it's just a few minutes and the kerosene to generate that duration of thrust would not be enormous

here's his web page, seems pretty serious to me

http://zapata-racing.com/en/

You know it's kinda funny, zapata is spanish for shoe, and here he's flying... lol... :mrgreen:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 am

Ok, now Zapata has set the Guinness world record for hoverboard flying (who even knew that was a category???)

Guinness, of course, has very strict rules about this kinda stuff, so I think this brings this from the unsubstantiated to verified status!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/05/01/ ... cmp=hplnws

Wonder how much they cost?

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Mon May 02, 2016 1:51 am

Well, I stand corrected..;) I think that is one ride I'd pass on.
Jamie
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge