L60 cab - now with pics! - GOT IT NOW! (p.3)

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

L60 cab - now with pics! - GOT IT NOW! (p.3)

Postby Pacafeliz on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:45 am

Hey folks!
As you might have heard, i'm leaving Mexico and moving to Germany in 3 weeks now. I sent my 50+, B100 and the '68 Twin over already, but i'll be needing a cab.
I've got a lead to an old SC cab, labelled L80, silver cloth and trim. It has a serial number label like on the backs of mk 3 or 4 amps, and a 120 style/size logo.

Seller has it in storage, but says it's a 4x10. Now in the catalogs it says it's 4x12. I kinda think it's a mk3 era cab - and that i'll be getting it whatever it is. But still curious for now, from the distance.
There's Fanes in it, and it's rear-loaded.
Price is around €300, is that OK?

Thanks!

Pat.
Last edited by Pacafeliz on Sun May 14, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: L80 cab - 4x10 or 4x12?

Postby Gooner01 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 am

Pat, four 12" fane 22w speakers housed in an original cab has got to be worth €300. Forget the cab, it's a reasonable price for the speakers on their own.
Gooner01
Peasant

Postby E-Rock on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:55 pm

I own a MK3 era L80 cab. 4x12. As Gooner said, four 22w cast-frame Fane 12289 15-ohm speakers, 14,000 gauss. Sounds sublime - warm and "woody" with an emphasis on the mids. It's a great match with the B100 MK3 - just be careful you don't overdrive the cab (only rated for 80 watts).

Should look like this (not my pics):

Or this:

Last edited by E-Rock on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E-Rock
Peasant

Postby Gooner01 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Nice cab, bet it's a real back breaker :D ideal for your 50+ if you've got it up and running and as E-rock says, careful when your using your 100. (Using the rule that you take the lowest wattage speaker and multiply by the number of speakers, which gives you 88 watts for the handling capacity of the cab)
Gooner01
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks!
Well my friend in Germany picked it up for me, and i'll pick it up in a couple weeks when i get there.

It's marked L.60, but it has 4 speakers in it. Looks exactly like the one in the pics above, with another logo.
Sure hope they're Fanes, yes!!!

I got it along with a 1974 Orange Or120 for €1300 which seemed decent to me. Is it?. Owner got and played them since the 70s, so i assume no mods.

So they might just have screwed up the Label number...

Pics when possible, i can't on the phone.

Thanks!!!
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:09 pm

OK finally back at a normal laptop.

my friend who picked it up has no idea what to measure, so i won't expect for him to take it apart or whatever. i'll be over there in less than 2 weeks.
anyway, here's the pics.

the catalog page with the L60 is here: http://soundcitysite.com/page_3.jpg
strange that the seller thought it's a 4x10.

well, we'll see, stay tuned!
thanks!

Pat.

Pacafeliz
King

Re: L60 cab - now with pics!

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:12 pm

...or, when they state "ported tunnel", do they just refer to an empty 12-inch cutout? :shock: :|

i think i see 4 speakers. or at least, i want to... :huh:

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Papa Dog on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:...or, when they state "ported tunnel", do they just refer to an empty 12-inch cutout? :shock: :|

uh...nope. Port tuned or "port tunnel" refers to a hole with a tube behind it. off the front face of the cab. should be two of them. one on each side. don't have pics of my cabs up, but they both have the front ports. Makes for a beefier and deeper sound (in theory). The one in the pic looks to have just one on the left (viewed from the front) side of the baffle.

that looks like a late Mark 3 era cab. earlier ones had the port in the back cover. Mark 4 are front loaded.
So that might be a "transitional" unit. It does say "Dallas Arbiter" and not DMI, is rear loaded, but has a later logo and the front port...interesting animal.
Please e-mail those and any more pics you can get for documentation.
admin@soundcitysite.com
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Gooner01 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:OK finally back at a normal laptop.

my friend who picked it up has no idea what to measure, so i won't expect for him to take it apart or whatever. i'll be over there in less than 2 weeks.
anyway, here's the pics.

the catalog page with the L60 is here: http://soundcitysite.com/page_3.jpg
strange that the seller thought it's a 4x10.

well, we'll see, stay tuned!
thanks!

Pat.

That looks in pretty good condition, no rips in the fabric,nice one :highfive:
Gooner01
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 pm

You guys put a BIG smile on my face, thanks!

More pics soon!

Pacafeliz
King

Postby sound city 69 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 am

Papa Dog wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:...or, when they state "ported tunnel", do they just refer to an empty 12-inch cutout? :shock: :|

uh...nope. Port tuned or "port tunnel" refers to a hole with a tube behind it. off the front face of the cab. should be two of them. one on each side. don't have pics of my cabs up, but they both have the front ports. Makes for a beefier and deeper sound (in theory). The one in the pic looks to have just one on the left (viewed from the front) side of the baffle.

that looks like a late Mark 3 era cab. earlier ones had the port in the back cover. Mark 4 are front loaded.
So that might be a "transitional" unit. It does say "Dallas Arbiter" and not DMI, is rear loaded, but has a later logo and the front port...interesting animal.
Please e-mail those and any more pics you can get for documentation.
admin@soundcitysite.com

Hi, P. Dog thanks for keeping the site going. I'd like to ad that both of my Mark 3 4x12s, one earlier and one later are not ported and both of my Mark 4 4x12s are front ported. Regards.
sound city 69
Certified

Postby Papa Dog on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:31 am

sound city 69 wrote:
Hi, P. Dog thanks for keeping the site going. I'd like to ad that both of my Mark 3 4x12s, one earlier and one later are not ported and both of my Mark 4 4x12s are front ported. Regards.

My pleasure. Although I must admit that I have not accomplished much of late.
I have been trying to keep things working, aff things here or there and not break links already established.
Sometimes easier said than done.

There is still a lot to learn about Sound City products, and the various anomalous items that spring up.
Are your Mark 3 cabs rear loaded?
I have 2 Mark 4 cabs, both front loaded and ported, and used to own another, many years ago, which was also, apparently, a Mark 4, front loaded and ported.]
So I find the read loaded and ported cab to be interesting, to say the least.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby sound city 69 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:36 am

Both Mark 3 cabs are rear loaded and both mark 4s are front loaded and ported.
sound city 69
Certified

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 pm

dammit, i STILL haven't been able to pick this up!!! :Doh:

Pacafeliz
King

Postby selmer_rule on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

There is a good looking MK3 era B80 cab on ebay at the minute:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-City-vi ... SwmtJXZoii
selmer_rule
Certified

Next

Return to Sound City