My cat Izzy bought a quad of 6550/KT88's tonight

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

My cat Izzy bought a quad of 6550/KT88's tonight

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:38 am

I was watching an auction and my wife called me on the intercom, there was about 30 seconds left and when I turned around my cat was standing on the keyboard. BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEP

Izzy bid $87,777 :say_what: :shock: on a quad of winged =C= metal base KT88'S. Since the other highest bid was 148.50 I had to fork out $150 + 7.95 shipping

These are the real ones marked with =C= (unused and tested), not the S and the guy has sold 32 quads at $289 a quad, so I guess Izzy got a pretty sweet deal, lol....

I don't *have* an amp that uses KT88's tho.... :dumass:

These look sort of 6L6-ish, does it take much to use them instead of 6L6, or EL34? Those I have....

My Dog, Mojo, recently started recording the series MASH on channel 20, so it runs in the family :mrgreen:

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: My cat Izzy bought a quad of 6550/KT88's tonight

Postby Jamie on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:45 pm

:laff: :laff: Inversely my son's cat guards the wallet.

Jamie
Baron

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 pm

I think those can be used in a marshall with minimal electronic exorcisms needed and will sound big and ballsy.

my cat never buys me anything :(
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 pm

DanTheBluesMan wrote:I think those can be used in a marshall with minimal electronic exorcisms needed and will sound big and ballsy.

my cat never buys me anything :(

I cannot tell you how panicked I felt seeing $87,777... :Zap:

But after reading about getting the 'Page sound' with a plexi and kt88's I'm thinking "that is one smart cat!" :thumbsup: :ROFLMAO:

So I suppose I'll have to try these in the dr504 clone I made too. The only reason why I was even looking for this is because I found some =C= logo EL34's NIB for $60 + shipping and bought those (normally see them for at least $125). They had been listed for about an hour when I bought them, lol...

And I have a quad of Shuguang EL34-M coming as well, which were $65 free ship from the distributor in China. I do believe upon visual inspection that this is where groove tubes gets theirs, and those sell for twice as much for a quad.

So I'm going to be up to my ears in power tubes soon. Guess I'll just be selling what I don't end up using.

The TAD EL34's I have in my DR504 sound pretty good, but I don't really like the sound I'm getting out of my model 1987 clone, especially on the bright channel (already axed the bright cap), and that's what started this whole thing.

Now that I've just dumped about $300 on tubes, I think I need Jamie's Guard cat on my paypal account!!!!!!!!!!

Time to sell one of my 5e3 clones cheap before Ms Unit sees the bill I'm thinking :think_1: ..... I have like 8 left from my 'cap tone quest' back when I was making serious bucks programming computers.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Having never actually seen a KT88 before all I can say is HOLY CATS, THESE THINGS ARE HUGE!!!!!!

and cold as a stone in the winter. Think I'd better let them warm up before testing. In fact, I'm just gonna wait a whole day.

Unit_1
Prince

Postby jaywalker on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:41 pm

I run a quad of 6550 in my Sunn Model T and a quad of the KT88 in my Sound City B150. I bought them when they (wing C) were cheap ten years ago then suddenly the price jumped incredibly (triple) for no apparent reason other than they were getting a good rep. Currently they go for $400/quad from aes tubes and more (other choices are 1/4th the price). iirc, the kt88 draws a little more current than 6550 per orig specs...maybe no difference with some current brands.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Ok..... I'm pissed....

I got the tubes. Ran all four of them through my Sencore solid state, transistorized TC162 (functionally equivalent to B&K 607 / 667) and ALL FRIGGIN FOUR OF THEM HAVE A SHORT ON THE HK SETTING!!!!!!

All four have good, but not great emissions (86% to 89%) and all four have terrible grid leakage, only one is below questionable. Almost every OTHER tube I've ever tested UP UNTIL NOW was below 5%. Ran tests on previously tested EL34's (same test, different load) and they passed with flying colors and matched previous results 100%.

wrote the seller to see if maybe someone grabbed these from the wrong pile - I'm just glad I have a tester and didn't slap them into my Plexi or DR504 builds and blow something up.

and the matched pair of =C= EL34's I got for $60 arrived in a broken open box, and one of them now has a short on 8 and on HK and 80% grid leak and gets hot as a firecracker in less than a minute.

:POd: :worry: :tantrum:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby jaywalker on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:09 am

Hopefully you can return them and get your money back.

The Ruby EL34b-STR labeled Shuguangs I was getting from CE sounded good and lasted but are not listed anymore. TAD EL34B-STR may bethe same tube at $76/quad. dunno for sure.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 am

Yeah the guy already responded and said no problem with returns, but that they have sold 3000 KT88's out of the 5000 they bought and not one complaint about grid leak. thinking something weird here maybe fooling my tester or some odd thing.....

I went back and reread the directions on the sencore tester, in the shorts section it says that excessive grid leakage will appear as a short. a real short will appear solid before the tube warms up, whereas excessive leakage doesn't appear as a short till the tube is warm.

which means I can go ahead and bias these without worrying about a real short. I just wanna see how they sound. I went back and looked at other winged C's I have and almost all of the exhibit more grid leak than other tubes. maybe it's part 'of their magic???

Hey Jaywalker, Shuguang is now selling direct through their website, and through eBay. Prices are identical once you add in freight.

eBay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/shuguangvalve/m ... 7675.l2562

their website:
http://www.tube-sale.com/index.php/tube ... ang/el34b/

Unit_1
Prince

Postby jaywalker on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Unit_1 wrote:http://www.tube-sale.com/index.php/tubes/shuguang/el34b/

That may not be Shuguang's site. Kind smells like a distributor. Here is a little Shuguang/Psvane history: http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/who-is-psvane/

and some more from Rachael: DIY Audio... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/138427-inside-information-shuguang.html

Of course it could all be b.s. and obfuscation, a.k.a. marketing disinformation.

woodwinds and brasswinds is another Ruby el34bstr local source http://www.wwbw.com/Ruby-EL34-Matched-Power-Tubes-212033-i1125588.wwbw $35/pair $58/quad free ship and prolly tax for commiefornia
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Something weird going on. The site I listed has more models, and lesser prices.

The psvane doesn't have the KT88-98 which is listed at $65 for a PAIR, or $120 a quad. It also doesn't have the EL34M which is the mullard remake, for $65 a quad free ship. I ordered a quad of those a week ago......

the really WEIRD thing is that there is Chinese script on shopping cart page of the tube-sale.com page, and yet it wants to charge me sales tax. I didn't know CA was a member of the Chinese state..... just yet....

and it's like 4.43%. not 9 something which is our current crazy high rate.... huh????

whoops, gotta go, Ms. Unit is ready to go! :not_worthy: "me: ok HONEY!"

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:34 pm

So I thought it was kinda crazy that all four of the KT88's showed a short on the H to K setting, so I went back and reread the manual. Turns out that if it detects abnormal grid leak, it lights up like a short.

So since they said he had sold 3000 of these with no complaints, I thought I would stick 'em in the plexi clone I made and bias them. At 440V 70% came out to a whopping 55.6mA! whoa!

Just to be on the safe side I ran them at 48, but then one side was at 41. These were supposed to be dead nuts right on balanced, so there's another negative for the seller.

They exhibit a lot more hum than the winged C EL34's I had in there which I had biased at 36 (70% is 39.7) - does anyone with experience with these values know.... are KT88's prone to more buzzing hum? Or would that be the sound of the grid leak? I have no experience with either, so.........

But the chunky grunting is sublime.... Oh Man Oh Man does this ever sound wickedly good :shock: :rawk:

And at full volume, I can honestly say I've never heard anything so damn loud in my life. I swear my feet were vibrating and the sound was slowly pushing me away from the speaker! :yeah_right: (that MAY BE an exaggeration - I think I have some Klingon blood in my veins, lol)

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Mr. Foxen on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:38 am

jaywalker wrote:Hopefully you can return them and get your money back.

The Ruby EL34b-STR labeled Shuguangs I was getting from CE sounded good and lasted but are not listed anymore. TAD EL34B-STR may bethe same tube at $76/quad. dunno for sure.

I use this site for valve supplying: http://www.leisure-audio.com/

They also stock Russian valves. I have a UK supplier that has mostly overtaken them for EL34B though.
New music: https://warriorpope.bandcamp.com/album/anchorite
Gear tinkering blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/
Made a Facebook page for my ampguts stuff. Feel free to come post amp guts and rig shots: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ampstack/351966881575839
Mr. Foxen
Squire

Postby Papa Dog on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:04 am

I have heardm but cannot site authority, that the Svetlana "Red S" tubes are so branded for sale on the American market, but are not made by the Russian Svetlana, but instead at another factory which makes tubes for a variety of vendors.

CE dist./Antique Elec. WAS the US distributor for authentic "Winded =C=" tubes.
Last time I checked there was no more "Winged =C=" and the plant had closed down.
So...if that is the case, and they are still closed, any "new" "Winged =C=" are either pulls or "NOS".

Hope I can get a couple quads of those before they run out.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby jaywalker on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:51 am

I'm thinking that my amps are worth more dead than alive. :whistling:
jaywalker
Baron

Next