PRS...

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

PRS...

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:54 am

I was just looking at the stuff that was introduced at the NAMM show. Paul Reed Smith introduced a new line of guitars--at PRS prices.

I bought a PRS Custom in the late 80's--Probably one of the first, in this area. The "suck" factor was crazy--Stupid tuners, the pickup selector, the stupid "sweet switch," and I wonder--Does anybody gig these things? I'm not talking about concert-hall gigs--I'm talking about the place with good chicken wings, joints that'll hold 200, 300 people, Critter clubs..Is anybody playing these local gigs with a high-dollar PRS?
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Re: PRS...

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:05 pm

I saw Joe Walsh sporting one at the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" concert. Sounded great, looked even better.

Now days I go for the low $ guitars and have my luthier work them over till they sound like guitars that cost 10 times as much. I do have my collection of gibsons, and of course the obligatory D28 (with in sound hole electronics)

I just noticed that Gibson has brought back the j185ec, I paid $1200 for mine, they're up to $3150 now. {{{ouch}}}

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/J8J5PMGH
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Beautiful box! Now I gotta get one of those, too.
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:13 am

It's a really good guitar. Sounds very Floyd-ish - mine has the mustache bridge, but does not have the white trim and is a solid black, not translucent.

and a broken nut from when the cat knocked it off the stand. I gotta get over to my luthier Willy and have him put a bone nut on it. Been procrastinating. I have two guitars that need some serious work, two with bad nuts and just don't want to spend the money since I have nine others working fine.

But I'm Jonesing for the j185ec now, lol...

I'll have to settle for my newest acquisition instead. A not loud enough acoustic, but one hell of a hollow-body electric. This one is distinctively Zep sounding, and handles distortion pedals without squealing like a stuck pig.

It's called a Luna, has LOADS of abolone, and the dots on the neck go though all the phases of the moon, ending with the big one around the sound hole. But of course I had to get a 'stars in the night' strap for it eh? 8)

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Mayhawk on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Steve, I am a firm believer in any guitar will work fine as long as it works with you. And good playing will make most any POS sound like the grail. Having said that, I have tried over the years to get comfy with PRS's. Still follow the ebay searches as well. I have to admit, you get a lot of guitar in a PRS, esp McCarty's, esp if you don't need crazy flamed out tops or vultures scattered all over the board. But I have just never gotten comfy with PRS's. In short, they don't do the strat or tele thing I like, and a LP simply has more umph, IMHO. More of a tweener sound to my ears. But different strokes, etc. Some guys love them. Tonequest praised McCarty's to the hilt some time ago. Esp for the price. Having said that, LP prices, esp custom shop and reissues, are insane. Figuring in inflation, the $2500 or so to get a LP standard back in '59 won't get you a '59 reissue or even a plaintop '58 ri. :roll:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Since I got that first one, and had such lousy luck with it, I haven't really paid much attention to what PRS is doing. But it came down to, as some country singer said, "all hat, and no cattle."

When you said, " In short, they don't do the strat or tele thing I like, and a LP simply has more umph, IMHO," you spoke for me, too. I don't know that there is a signature "PRS tone," even if they're being played in just about every genre. The birds look sorta goofy, and the necks feel like a yardstick.

I finally found one that I liked, though. One of the SE semi-hollow bodies. Big ol' 22 fret neck, a three-way switch--A killer. I paid about 300.00 for it, at a local music store. It'd been hanging there for over a year. Not a lot of curb appeal. I did change the pickups--It had some kind of super-duper distortion pickups in it, and I changed 'em for some more vintagey DiMarzios. And then I gave it away. :nutjob:

But, back to my original question--Is anybody playing the high-priced Prs's on the local scene?
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby Mayhawk on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:59 pm

I was in a local pawn shop/music store a couple of years ago, and they had a mid 90's PRS, 22 fret model. Sort of a rainbow like finish. It was not too pricey, and I pondered over it. But I was not nuts over the very thin body. But that's part of the PRS thing. Of all their models, I think the one I would spring for is the Hollowbody II. Carved solid top, reminded me more of a violin. And feather light. Makes the lower cost Gibson jazzboxes (175's, etc) seem almost clunky or outdated. Still follow ebay on these models. Great for jazz, standards, orchestra, church, growing old with... :shock:

Having said that, I occasionally see local and regional bands with players using nice higher end PRS's.....custom 22's, 24's, singlecuts, eagles, etc. But I have never seen a real gunslinger wielding one. :? My opinion is PRS is getting a lot of Gibson's business now. I still windowshop at Wildwood Guitars, and FCOL those new custom shop Gibsons are priced to the stratosphere.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Jamie on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:47 pm

I have a 90s CE24 and SE One. The CE is an easy player, the neck is wide / thin. I really like the PRS trems, they just feel right to me. Tone wise? Nothing to write home about. The SE One was modified before I got it. Not sure what p90 pup was put in, but has a tone pot added. Had no reason to pull the pup, probably should some day. It sounds and plays great. They don't get a lot of attention last few years. You guys are really going to hate me for this.. My current go to guitars are a 1st gen Parker Nite Fly and P-38. The Nite Fly doesn't have the on board preamp, that's ok. The neck is perfect for my bear claws and the tone is just there, yes it's a carbon fiber clad neck. The P-38 sounds amazing, I like it much better than my strats.

One of the local guitar heros was using them years ago, not so much lately.

Same here, my Les Pauls fill the PRS void.
In short, they don't do the strat or tele thing I like, and a LP simply has more umph, IMHO,

Jamie
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:40 am

Rite nice mess o' gear there, James. :thumbsup:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:58 am

What he said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby Jamie on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks guys, I know it's over the top. I've regretted moving gear in the late 60s / 70s so it just piled up over the years..;)

Stevie, your gsd is cute.
Jamie
Baron

Postby lexicondevil on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 pm

First time I tried one in '86 I didn't see what the fuss was about. It was a pretty guitar, but lacked character. --I still feel the same way, and those old ones are now worth a lot more than the $2000 dollars that a basic one went for back then.
lexicondevil
Squire

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Jamie wrote:Thanks guys, I know it's over the top. I've regretted moving gear in the late 60s / 70s so it just piled up over the years..;)

Stevie, your gsd is cute.

gsd?
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Postby Jamie on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Jamie
Baron

Postby Rockin' Stevie on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:03 am

I think I figured that out, a few days after I read it. His name is "Lukas von Mill-Hill," because I grew up on the mill hill. That's where you lived, if your parents worked in the (textile) mill in town. He answers to "Luke," and he's pretty cool. He doesn't have that AKC "fast-back" look that the AKC says is correct. Luke's the old-bloodline, normal-looking German Shepherd. He's about 125 lbs. now--too big, according to the AKC.
First dog I ever had, that actually likes feedback. Sits in front of the amp, and sings along.

Thanks for the compliment. :rawk:
Rockin' Stevie
Peasant

Next

Return to Off-Topic Lounge