New Sound City Amps ?

20 Studio, 50+, 50PA, 50R, L100, B100, L120, L120PA, L120R, 120 SLAVE, B120, B150, L150, L200, B200, Concord, and SMF

New Sound City Amps ?

Postby gldtp99 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm getting reports of new Sound City full stack amps at NAMM------- Does anybody know more about this ? I thought the "Mk 6" SC's from a few years ago bit the dust, and they never made their way over here as far as I know.
What are these new Sound City amps ?
gldtp99
Baron

Re: New Sound City Amps ?

Postby Papa Dog on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:37 pm

there is a little info on the gear page...precious little
supposed to be similar to the Mk1, and built by Fryette
have not been able to confirm anything as yet

Mk6 were built by John Dallas and Sons
they were a radical departure and either were not worthy of the name or not marketed well.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby gldtp99 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 am

Yes, I looked at the Fryette Facebook site and there is a little info------ Mr Fryette says that they are simply built, quality units----- this is in response to someone posting that these amps would be difficult to service because they are made by Fryette.
I wonder if these are just more Hiwatt clones, early Sound City clones, or something else with some modern features. I mean, I can build great sounding Hiwatt clones---- there's no special trick in doing that and anyway that market is pretty full with Hi Tone, Reeves, and Hiwatt UK all in the game.
Aren't most Fryette amps built on PCB's ?
We need more info on these new Sound City amps---- who even owns the Sound City brand name now ? Fryette ?
FWIW---- my stock L100 Mk3 has been played by a number of different bass players (through my Ampeg 4x10 bass cab) in my shop lately----- They've also played my '72 Hiwatt DR103, 1977 Ampeg V4B, 1966 Fender Showman, and sometimes some other heads.
About half of them like the SC L100 best of all and the others think the Hiwatt DR103 sounds best------- none of them had ever heard of Sound City amps before and most of them had never heard of Hiwatt, either------ young players, all quite talented, looking for old school tube bass amp tones------- the ones looking for a large amount of natural tube amp overdrive (this seems to be the "thing" lately) liked the Hiwatt better because of the Master Volume control------ they're not playing all that loudly and the SC L100 gets LOUD before much breakup is happening.
I think my old SC L100 sounds terrific as a clean guitar amp and is a great base for pedals-- the tone is as good, or better, than any of my other clean tone guitar amps---- the new Sound City amps had better sound great to keep up with the old original ones :thumbsup: ...................... gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Postby Papa Dog on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:29 pm

things have been weird around here for the last 4 or 4.5 years.
Abur `8 months ago (or a little longer, it is hard to say) before things got seriously screwed up,
I looked into it, and the trade mark for Sound City, Sound City amps, Sound City Amplification, and a couple others, had lapsed, or been abandoned.I would like to see someone re-issue the L/B100 and the Mk4 L/B 120 and L/B200+.
All done with turret boards, of course...and, from Fryette's web page (where I looked, didn;t think about Fascist book) I think a decent clone could be built and sold cheaper...

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby gldtp99 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 am

I've seen a price of $2000 for the 50 watt head, $2500 for the 100 watt head, and $1300 for the 4x12------ supposed to be two channels, internally jumpered, with a Master Volume------ based on an "early Sound City circuit" with passive tonestack.
I wonder how the 100 watter would sound A/B'd with my stock L100 Mk3 ? Are these amps really re-creations of early Sound City amps (with an added Master Volume)---- or are they just more Hiwatt clones ?
gldtp99
Baron

Postby Papa Dog on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:54 am

gldtp99 wrote:I've seen a price of $2000 for the 50 watt head, $2500 for the 100 watt head, and $1300 for the 4x12------ supposed to be two channels, internally jumpered, with a Master Volume------ based on an "early Sound City circuit" with passive tonestack.
I wonder how the 100 watter would sound A/B'd with my stock L100 Mk3 ? Are these amps really re-creations of early Sound City amps (with an added Master Volume)---- or are they just more Hiwatt clones ?

Id you do not mind my asking, where did you find the prices? I have looked both on the Fryette website and the Fascist book page and did not see that information.
Sent an e-mail to the web-site, no response as yet. Sent a message on Fascist book, no response as yet.
Put in a call, voice mail, no response.

Just guessing, but I would bet that it is the Mk1 "Reeves" design, slightly modded w/ "Master Volume" and maybe a few other 'tweaks". Also would bet on PCB. So...kinda/sorta a HiWatt clone, but not exactly...and trading on the name alone, which may, or may not, give it SOME traction...remains to be seen...

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby gldtp99 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

From a thread on TGP, unofficial pricing info----- I don't want to buy one, I still have plenty of original Sound City amps.
I recently picked up a SC 50R head from an amp customer that needs some TLC------ reverb inop, etc------ maybe I'll get time to look into it in a couple of years..................... gldtp99
gldtp99
Baron

Postby Papa Dog on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:07 pm

must be more added info since my last visit there.

I am not interested in buying what I am seeing offered either.
Still wanting to get ahold of another 200+, a 120+, a 50+, and/or 50R
some older models to put in the archives would be nice, too.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Papa Dog on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:52 pm

got a call today.
said he had been looking for me for over 2 years.
wanted to be sure I would be willing to work with the New Sound City.
Sure, I said, so long as you do not ask me to take down the Sound City site.
There is much more to tell, but not yet.
As information is given, as well as permission to disseminate said information I will be making updates.

I think that the Sound City brand will be in good hands this time.
I hope that they make a go of it, and do the brand proud with honour and respect.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby gldtp99 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

Sounds like good news !! I have no doubt that Mr. Fryette and his people are capable of building quality guitar amps and that this Sound City project is off to a great start.
Best of luck to all involved................ gldtp99

PS---- I'm still curious about the build details because I like the old Sound City amps------I'm not going to throw a fit if they are built on PCB's------ I would just like for them to be a quality build no matter what type of construction method is inside.
Quality builds can be done on PCB's------ most of my JMP and JCM 800 Marshalls are PCB, my 1974 Orange OR80 is PCB, and I know that the old VHT's were well built PCB amps.
I don't expect the transformers to made by Partridge, either------ many USA companies are capable of supplying perfectly suitable iron for such a project------- I like to use Heyboer iron in the Hiwatt clones I build and my builds stand up well, tonally, to my orig Hylight Hiwatts...............and to my old Sound City L100 Mk3
gldtp99
Baron

Postby Papa Dog on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 am

as information is passed along from the source, and as it is approved for dissemination
I will be sharing here as well as the facebook group "Sound City Owners Group".

In the meantime I am constrained from addressing particular issues.
Suffice it to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the call yesterday.
First time I have ever been in this position.

"To talk of many things:
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby ep1966 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:29 am

sounds like good news. hope the new sound city has some further info on our classic's that there willing to share.
ep1966
Court Jester

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:12 pm

This is great and very exciting news!!!
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby Pacafeliz on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Heyyy it's been almost half a year now!

C'MON MAN TELL US MORE!!! :excited:
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby sound city 69 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Apparently they are available now. I wish they had reproduced one of the earlier Mark 3 logos but good luck to them.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... icks-day-1
sound city 69
Certified

Next

Return to Sound City