String Spacing on Les Paul

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

String Spacing on Les Paul

Postby vez on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 am

im replacing the bridge on my '75 LP. What is the spring spacing distance?
Or should I go about aligning the E strings an certain distance from the fret edge on say the 12 fret, and then make the rest of the strings even spacing from each other?
Also do LPs from this era have 12" radius?
Thx!
vez
Squire

Re: String Spacing on Les Paul

Postby Torren61 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:45 am

Buy a string spacing ruler from StewMac. Match the lines with the old nut. When I make a new nut, I use the old one as a template. I take a nut blank and sand it down to the same basic shape as the old nut, especially the bottom of the old nut. That'll match your radius. Then use a small amount of superglue to fit the new nut in the slot. It should be very snug anyway. Then I use the string spacing ruler and make my lines. Then, using nut files, I start cutting the string slots. I file and file and measure the bottom of the strings to the first fret wire.

When you've got your string slots cut deep enough, you can begin sanding the top of the nut until you get the nut as thin as you want it. Then polish the top of the nut and you're done. I don't know if that's the official way of doing it but it's been working very well for me and I've made quite a few nuts since I started doing it in 2005.
Torren61
Court Jester

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips