RIP Dale Griffin Mott the Hoople drummer

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

RIP Dale Griffin Mott the Hoople drummer

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:26 pm

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: RIP Dale Griffin Mott the Hoople drummer

Postby Jamie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:17 pm

:shock: Wow, all the young dudes.. Maybe we should have an obituary section.. This is frightening..
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Jamie wrote::shock: Wow, all the young dudes.. Maybe we should have an obituary section.. This is frightening..

for a moment this morning I thought "Maybe I should stop playing?"

like for about 1/10 of a second, then I though "ya, right" I wanna play till the day I depart to the great unknown :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby pckpat on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:41 pm

I still recall fairly lucidly going to see Mott the Hoople in 1973 at Massey Hall, when "All the Young Dudes" was hitting the airwaves in a big way. What an awesome venue-(at that time it was still home for the Toronto Symphony). Many great rock concerts have taken place there over the decades, as well. Anyway, this bill was Mott headlining-first warm-up act was an unknown young band out of Boston, Mass. called Aerosmith-and to tell the truth, I remember thinking-"well these guys would be really great in a bar" :P Little did I foretell the future fame in store for these fellows. Next up Blue Oyster Cult-who were somewhat popular with me and a couple of my weirdo buddies, who also had their first two or three LP's-they used to tour incessantly, of course, so here we where on a little more familiar ground.
And then Mott came on-to great Hoopla (sorry, couldn't resist)-Ian Hunter immediately casting a disparaging aside concerning a couple of old slags on the way in, made me chuckle...Pete "Overend" Watts-with massive shiny high-heel platform glam-rock boots reaching up over the knee -tottering about, looking like he was just about to go "end-over-end"....(careful Pete-watch that iconic white Thunderbird bass!)
Ian playing electric piano, and a well-worn SG(Jr. or Spec.?) plus he sported the custom "H" Mott guitar for the encore as well. Mick Ralphs had just previously left to start working on Bad Co. with Rogers, so Ariel Bender was on lead guitar (formerly Luther Grosvenor of Spooky Tooth)-Les Paul Jr. and full JMP stack of course-(the de rigeur rock weaponry of the day). I also seem to recall Morgan Fisher was sitting at the B-3, so probably this was just post-Verden Allen era.I believe this may have been Mott's second N. American tour, the first apparently having taken it's toll on the band personnel, a seemingly common hazard for Brit bands in the seventies-(and likely still, I would imagine).
Well, Buffin-rock on, my friend- I still give Mott a spin on the playlist fairly regularly, and I followed Hunter well into his solo career, esp. with Ronson during the eighties, as well. Anyway, despite the encroaching onset of senility, that's how I remember it. :jam: :P
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Return to Off-Topic Lounge