RIP David Bowie

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

RIP David Bowie

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:35 am

ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Re: RIP David Bowie

Postby Rabbitfighter on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Sad Day. RIP. :( :( :( :( :(
Rabbitfighter
Page

Postby Jack Hester on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:01 pm

I was stationed in Germany, in '73 and '74 (U.S. Army). '73 in particular was an eye-opening year for me. Bowie was doing the Ziggy Stardust thing. Never heard of him before then. Same for Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon was just out. I liked them better than Bowie, but I followed him just the same. Along with many others that just didn't make it to the radio, back in the small farm country radio at home.

It was the news on the radio, this morning, when it came on at 02:50 hrs.. Bit of a shock, and a serious reality check. The old rockers are fading fast.

Jack
"We sleep safe in our beds
because rough men stand ready in the night
to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Ziggy played guitar, but he's put it down now.... :(
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby pckpat on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Yeah- my gf texted me this morning with this sobering and sad news. Truly a legend, he was-an incredible musician/writer, as well as an arbiter of fashion and cool in the rock scene for many years. And a pretty decent actor too, imho. I remember when I first heard of him, and it was the "glam-rock era" ; even though those days seemed quite crazy and outrageous, Bowie still stood out from the many others. A number of great musicians gained their first mass exposure through his auspices- Mick Ronson, of course...SRV, Mike Garson,Adrian Belew, Reeves Gabrels, Gail Lee Dorsey, Herbie Flowers, Tony Levin and many others (even incl. a local girl Emm Gryner, although she is not very well-known).
I remember back in the late seventies when Bowie was in Toronto for a gig, my gf encountered him while walking downtown. He was fairly personable, considering the massive hoopla and hype around him then, exchanging civil "hello, how are you?" pleasantries.
DB amassed an impressive body of work, spanning many styles- and managed to maintain a high rate of consistent quality throughout. Yes, another great one gone. :(
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Wore out Ziggy Stardust and the early stuff. Yeah, I guess I was a big Bowie fan. Saw him on the Diamond Dogs tour in DC. I guess that was the thin white duke period; he looked emaciated. Great show though I guess, though I was disappointed it was so little of Diamond Dogs and mostly a run through of his hits and near misses. I forgot the guitarist with him.....Earl Slick?....great licks. Sorry to see him go so soon. Best wishes to his family.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Jamie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 am

I was a Bowie fan early on with Mick. Never really got into the glam thing. I remember at a bar in Columbus in the early 70s there was a band where the guys were wearing hot pants, hosiery and clogs. A buddy looked at me and said how in the h3ll can you feel comfortable hitting on a chick here..;) Anyhow, Ziggy Stardust is a classic. Haven't seen Darkstar yet but the Lazarus Video creeps me out.

Jamie
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge