Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Thin Lizzy -- Jailbreak

Postby T.G.3-55 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Not hearing much here but guitar>cord>amp. Sounds like minibuckers on both axes. Love Fightin'..sort of a lost Lizzy lp, some great tunes on there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rl3evfPhs

Scott really had the rock locks back then didn't he.
T.G.3-55
Squire

Postby Emiel_J on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 pm

T.G.3-55 wrote:Not hearing much here but guitar>cord>amp. Sounds like minibuckers on both axes. Love Fightin'..sort of a lost Lizzy lp, some great tunes on there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rl3evfPhs

Scott really had the rock locks back then didn't he.

Aah... the early days of the Gorham/Robertson lineup. I absolutely love 'Wild One'. If you watch all songs from this gig you'll notice that both Robertson and Gorham are using wahwah's... I think Colorsounds at least it sounds like them... The guys use the guitarvolume for the big solo's. On the first solo of 'Fighting', you'll hear Scott's using a MXR Phase 90, and Brian's heavily using a wahwah on 'Its Only Money'. A bit more than guitar->amp ey? :wink:

Robbo was 19 at this point!!! And yet he's got this amazing sound an playing... unbelievable for a 21 year old!
Emiel_J
Court Jester

Postby Mats A on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:24 pm

I asked Robbo if he had his wah wah on and used it as a tone control in Thin Lizzy. He said that he didn´t do that. Fact is when you listen to him in Thin Lizzy you can hear that he switches it on when he´s using it. There´s no way you can get it back to the right spot so fast after using it. Also i got two Colorsound wah wahs and like most wah wah pedals trying to play chords with them on sounds awful. Also with 100 W Marshalls on high volume you get lots of feedback and stuff if you leave the wah wah on. He used two WEM Copicat echoes linked in series and used them to boost his amps. I think they had a lot to do with his tone back then,
Mats A
Page

Previous

Return to Signature Tones