Reasonable Alternative to GL's .155 Cable?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Reasonable Alternative to GL's .155 Cable?

Postby Jamie on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:30 am

I splurged on a couple trio 28 Temple Audio P Boards, got a good deal. I don't want to skimp on cable quality, just wondering if there is a another source for black .155 cable, or close to the same OD. Haven't sourced anything yet, any help appreciated. With a loop switcher there's not a lot of space in the perfs for a standard size cable.

Edit.. Found this, Mogami 2319
http://tinyurl.com/nq28xbv

.197 mm OD, close enough, but dealing with the conductive pvc layer looks like a PITA
http://tinyurl.com/pf2fqd5

Jamie
Baron

Re: Reasonable Alternative to GL's .155 Cable?

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:28 am

I use mogami, it's good stuff. I get it from redco at a much lower price. The 2524 is .84 a foot, while the 2519 is .49 a foot. I use the 2524, as it's bigger, thicker, betterer - although I have used the 2319 too but it just seems kinda thin and it makes me nervous when I watch someone stomp on it

So, anywho, we're talking a buck less a foot at redco!

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2524.html

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2319.html

Oufff, it's getting late. time for some :sleepy:

edited: ok, one more thing, these are about the same as neutrik and half the price

http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-ACPM-RB-AU.html
http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-ACPM-RB.html
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby pdf64 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 am

The Mogami cable is good stuff but George L cable is ~ half the capacitance, at 23pF/foot cf 39.7pF/foot 2524, 47.3pF/foot 2319.
Probably not an issue if just used for short patch links, especially if fx is buffered when bypassed, eg regular Boss etc.
I've not found stripping off the black conductive layer to be a problem; just find the seam, cut a small nick in the edge and peel it off. Don't try to slide it off as you would with the regular inner insulation.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby Jamie on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks U1 and PDF for the info. U1, that was a big savings on the 2319. 50 ft @ $33 shipped. I have a buffered looper so there shouldn't be an issue. The 2319 should be small enough for the perfs. I have quite a few of right angle jacks to do both boards. Not going to go with the mechanical connection jacks. Not quite as compact but they will work. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:02 am

I'm slowly building out 2 Temple Trio 28 boards. I have the main board finished and tested with the Mogami 2319 cable. Dead quiet. The switcher is buffered bypass so there's no loss. I'm going to run George L's from wah an vibe into the switcher. Considering the cable capacitance I think it's the best way to go for unbuffered runs. I really like the fulltone ultimate octave, I tested buffered and unbuffered. There was no difference, apparently not like a typical fuzz face.

Thanks U1 for the 2319 link, it's really working out well for the boards. Good stuff..
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:09 am

Hey Jamie,

I use mogami for everything - they also have a speaker grade cable. I was quite pleased when I found Redco :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Unit_1 wrote:Hey Jamie,

I use mogami for everything - they also have a speaker grade cable. I was quite pleased when I found Redco :mrgreen:

Yes, much appreciated the link, it was a huge savings. It's perfect for my application.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 pm

Finished up the temple boards.

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 am

as they say in Minnesota 'OOFTA'

that is a squatload of pedals! :jam: :highfive:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm

:D Some may look a little redundant but they are useful. The ditto x2 I save and load jam patterns, the ditto I use for looping on the fly. The dirt side, the drives step up from a subtle drive. They all have their unique flavor. I don't gig out anymore so it works for me. I moved on to the temple boards to hide the rats nest and lessen the hum and get rid of ground loops. It's an OCD thing..;)
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm about to get rid of my flight case pedal board, which weighs a ton, and replace with maybe something hand made out of aluminum. For the same reasons....

I dreamed I was at a gig last night, getting ready for the lights to go on and I couldn't remember any of the songs we were supposed to play. Everyone was waiting for me to start the first song, giving me the stare (wtf are you doing?)

then I woke up and had to pee

PHEW that was scary..... :shock:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I have reoccurring dreams of almost getting to the gig and half my gear gets stolen. I guess I still have issues having gear stolen in the 70s.

Check out the temple boards. The trio 28 weighs under 5 lbs @ $120.00, cost of a pedal. The have quite a few size options. You can save $ by using velcro other than the mounting plates. Downside is you have 2" clearance under the front of the board. It was just enough for mxr iso-block. Wallwart transformers mounted sideways can be a little more than 2" but clear the floor with the board feet. I went with a tripplite powerstrip velcro'd to the front to save some $, it fits perfect, 12ft of cable. There's a little flex to these but not much. The Mogami cable you suggested works great, thanks again for that.

http://templeboards.com/products/trio-28

The bay has a few up, some with case options. They offer pelican cases also for these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtem.TRS1&_nkw=temple+audio+design&_sacat=0
Jamie
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Unit_1 wrote:
then I woke up and had to pee

Better this way than reverse order :D
jaywalker
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:07 pm

I too got a bunch of the mogami 2319 but had to dump a boatload of money into my vehicle to smog check, register and pay the ticket that was added to the registration (and doubled). I need to buy plugs so sometime soon I hope to get on it.
jaywalker
Baron

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain