eBay lucky - I won 10 x rca 6v6 stop sign for...

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

eBay lucky - I won 10 x rca 6v6 stop sign for...

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:22 am

$73, including shipping. Someone pinch me.... :shock:

ouuu.... just noticed two are rebranded as silvertone. Hot damn, when I bought my 68 sfdr in 1990 it had silvertone tubes in it. Yanked them out just two years ago when they had like 5% left. Now the force will be with me again! :lol:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: eBay lucky - I won 10 x rca 6v6 stop sign for...

Postby Mayhawk on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:55 am

Nice haul, my 'favorite tube.' I always keep my eye open for abandoned tv's and stereos from days of yore.

Nice starting point for a 5e3 tweed deluxe build, or two. The prince of amps.

Have you checked them for life? I went through a tube buying frenzy years ago and have tubes I may never get to. From reputable sellers, but I feel the need to get a tube tester to check them all out.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Jamie on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Mayhawk wrote:Nice haul, my 'favorite tube.' I always keep my eye open for abandoned tv's and stereos from days of yore.

Nice starting point for a 5e3 tweed deluxe build, or two. The prince of amps.

Have you checked them for life? I went through a tube buying frenzy years ago and have tubes I may never get to. From reputable sellers, but I feel the need to get a tube tester to check them all out.

Wow good score U1..;) Mayhawk, watch your local auction house.. I have a B&K 600 but recently landed this Precision 660 for $40. It cleaned up nicely and works without issues. I need to watch the local auctions for more tv service guys with stock in tubes, rare they have anything that I can use.

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:32 am

Damn Jamie, that's a hell of a nice score for $40. I'm not even going to tell you how much I spent on my solid state Sencore TC 162

Oh, the shame....

Shown here with one of the tall bottle 6v6's I also bought recently (after checking to be sure they weren't too tall for my all astron 5e3 clone)

This has a 'life test' that tests the filament to see how long the tube is going to last in addition to the standard tests. I was testing some Amperex EL84's from a TV guy's stash and they both tested strong and then REALLY QUICKLY went into the ? zone on the life test. Man, I was bummed. All the other Amperex EL84's I got from the Hammond AO43 I got recently tested strong and didn't go into the 'filament close to death' zone. So, like, now I know why there were big X's on the TV guys el84s. carumba....

Last edited by Unit_1 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:24 pm

The Sencore tube sockets look to be in good shape. The precision tests just fine but I'd like to get the oxidation off the socket contacts. Maybe it doesn't matter but it bothers me. Not sure the best way to do that..
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Well I bought these little brushes on eBay to clean socket holes with, and I was figuring I'd use deoxit. I saw someone else posting that doing that can lead to arcing. Not sure of the validity of that statement as the deoxit instructions say it's 100% non conductive and can be used in low to high voltage settings.

Seeing as how people use them for pots, which can also have some pretty healthy voltage going through them, I sort of wonder why it would be any different on a socket....(???) :dunno:

Anyone with actual experience doing this care to join in?

Perhaps someone cleaned the socket holes, and then didn't go back with another pass of deoxit to remove the oxidation debris. That could certainly lead to conduction between pins :Zap:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I've heard that too with deoxit and tube sockets. I did use deoxit on the tester's sockets with a pipe cleaner. That didn't work out too well, pipe cleaner left fibers. I'll look into a brush solution.

Edit.. Well I'll be... $4.49 shipped.. I wonder if the 2mm brush is small enough for the small sockets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Socket-Cleaning-Brush-Set-Brushes-Size-Mini-to-Antique-/201062814525?hash=item2ed047133d:g:cdMAAOxyjxlTN0Ip
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:13 pm

I notified the seller they made a typo. A big one, lol!

Yeah those are the same brushes I have, the seller also sells the calibration module and reprinted manual for my TC162.

I just checked the calibration -- *Perfect*

I like the reprinted manual, it's very clean and full 8.5 x 11 notebook size - plus it is the most up to date manual ever made for that unit. They make lots of other manuals as well, very good deals!

I love saying "It's the calibration module for the TC162" with the "Martian" accent from Bugs Bunny

<snicker>

I do lots of voices. Homer, Barney, Marge, Moe, Bullwinkle, Mickey, Goofy, Walter Brennen, Beavis and Butthead. The list goes on and on! :urawk:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I know sometimes dealers jack the prices to insane levels if they are out of stock at the time. I did pickup a manual for the 660, not sure if it was from the same seller. I'll need to look into the calibration process. The 660 does not use any tubes internally, the B&K 600 does.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 am

Huh.... I never thought of that....

You know what's odd, when I got the tester I tested all of the NOS 6v6, and new 6v6 I had as well as everything else

what is weird is the russian 6p6s version of the 6v6 measured 110% emissions.... they sound pretty darn good too....

I heard you don't dare run them in a fixed bias amp, cathode bias only

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Unit_1 wrote:You know what's odd, when I got the tester I tested all of the NOS 6v6, and new 6v6 I had as well as everything else

what is weird is the russian 6p6s version of the 6v6 measured 110% emissions.... they sound pretty darn good too....

I heard you don't dare run them in a fixed bias amp, cathode bias only

According to a seller in Mother Russia, the 6p6s are usable in fixed bias amps. So I'm going to be brave and give it a try since the emissions beat the pants off of new, unused, in the box NOS stop sign RCA 6v6's....

At least I think that's what this means. Translate.google.com has it's limitations....

Hi,
Bias adjusted for both tubes in the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp, so you should use the balanced pair. These tubes will be good for your amp.

Your previous message
I read that these are only good for cathode bias amps, and they don't take the voltage of a fixed bias amp.

Is that true, or would it be ok to run these in my 1968 Fender Deluxe Reverb? (about 400v)

Thanks!

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:39 pm

As long as you can bias them to obtain the desired milli-amp draw for a given plate voltage, there shouldn't be an issue.
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Return to Off-Topic Lounge