Fuzz Pedal Dork Off

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Postby Sol Cotlier on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:06 am

peter horvath wrote:
where didja get the harmonic percolator clone? i know song bird music in T.O. has them, but i don't know of a local place. do tell...

Chuck Collins clone ordered through e-mail...he also sells them on eBay...the story goes something to the effect of chuck bought the remaining supplies of the out of business interfax company and began making these pedals again...its a real tear jerker of a story...maybe I believe it...maybe I don't...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110077865476

I've been happy with it...If the Big Muff is your everyday chocolate distorto fuzz...the the harmonic peculator is strawberry...kind of...I think...maybe caramel...Less compression...slightly more open frequency response...but lots of transistor grit...Kind of sounds like the red headed step child of a marriage between a Big Muff and a Dallas range master.

An other take on the circuit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250071733916

But they seem like crack heads...designing a pedal from web schematics and photos...but hey if it sounds good...I'm game

Off topic:
But I thought the guys from Lincoln went on to form Crown Hate Ruin? Was it a combination Hoover and Lincoln band?
Now Mystery Boy
Sol Cotlier
Peasant

Postby jan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:49 am

I have one of those Chuck Collins Percolater clones also.
jan
Page

Postby peter horvath on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:33 pm

i will have to check into these percolators further... they sound intriguing.

off topically speaking, i guess c.h.r. was an offshoot of both hoover and lincoln. i only remembered the hoover side of the equation...

glad we cleared that bit of d.c. band trivia up. whew.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby salbert on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:11 am

Hoover, Lincoln, oh my! With all the talk about the SRV & Eric Johnsons of the world on here, I somtimes feel like I'm the only one to ever listen to any of this stuff. Glad to hear I'm not. Lincoln was one of the best bands to come from the 90's hardcore era IMO. I still listen to Glendale and Kukim occassionally (both are Lincoln offshoots that I would consider as good if not better). Great Stuff, Hoover too!

In regards to the pedals listed in this thread, the only ones I've ever tried are the Fulltone pedals because there's a music shop across the street that sells them. Unfotunately, I don't have enough extra $$$ floating around to just buy $100+ pedals whenever I get that curious itch. I actually own a Soul Bender though, and of their pedals that I tested (which included the '69, '70, Octa-Fuzz as well as a few others) the SB was my favorite. I didn't like the '69 or '70 at all.

Great thread btw. Probably the next best thing to being able to ab these pedals in person.
salbert
Certified

Postby jan on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:16 am

My favorite Fulltone's the SoulBender also.
jan
Page

Re: Fuzz Pedal Dork Off

Postby neilslade on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 am

Having read the review-- interesting, their opinions but I disagree and here's why....

I've got Fullton 69 fuzz
Black Cat Superfuzz clone with mods
ProCo Rat with mods
Voodoo Lab Superfuzz
Zvexx Fuzz Factor
Voodoo Lab Octavia

They all have their niche

The beauty of the 69 is that it is NOT an over the top fuzz-- it just NAILS the Arbitor Fuzz Face Hendrix tone- perfectly, plus beautiful tweaks in several directions. Although- is the Fuzz Face GERMANIUM or SILICON? I dunno, but when I plug in my 69-- there's Are you Experienced-
no ands ifs or buts. That's what I wanted it for-- it delivers. People do this all the time-- they think that MORE is better. In this case, it is a perfectly balanced pedal that aims to do one thing, it does it, and more.

I've tried the Fulltone 70s and it did not have the beautiful subtleties of the 69, which was all about a specific character of tone- It's remarkable, because inside, you'll see the pedal is extremely simple-- not a lot to it. But the 4 knobs are genius-- bring a lot of versatility into the sound. And it DOES sound edgy (harsh?) that's what a fuzz should do. Well YEAH!@!!!!!!!!
If you want no harshness-- get a distortion or overdrive But the fulltone 69 = you can completely dial out the fuzz it completely cleans up, either on the pedal or with the guitar volume. It's perfect. The 70 and 69 are two different animals. I felt like the 70 was one dimensional and cheap next to the 69. Guess that's silicon versus germanium.

The Black Cat and the Zvex are WAAAAAY over the top-- and do a great job at that-- but it's like comparing apples and oranges against the 69--
the 69 just puts you back in Hendrix Land 1969 exactly. No more, no less.

I did an extra mod on my Black Cat after talking to the guy who makes them and did a crazy paint job to boot It is indeed a clone of the Univox Superfuzz-- and I had one of the originals for 20 years--- then gave it to a girl before I realized what it was worth-- WHAT A JERK. But its WAY better than that pedal in a few regards-- although, that was one hell of a trashy pedal that made TONSSSSSS of noise.
This has all the trash, without extra noise, and with an extra knob it goes extra places to boot-- I kinda miss the extra noise though...haha

The Voodoo lab- kind of interesting-- very close to the fulltone- but not quite-- smoother-- interesting to stack with the others-- inexpensive but great quality- they didn't test this one-- great audio clips of it on the Voodoo lab site- and why I bought it. I'm guessing that the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz is Silicon-- I'll have to check........................ah, it has both- G and S transitors.
this explains the difference. 69 is more RAW and edgy-- the superfuzz, a bit more refined, but a nice change-- so I'm keeping it. You can pick these up on ebay for next to nothing-- a great bargain.

Incidentally, the Digitech RP1000 has some OUTSTANDING fuzz pedals on it-- and a couple I don't have, although as in any digital modeler-- misses a teeny bit found in the analog pedals-- but hey, for bang for the buck-- heck, two boutique pedals will set you back what you can get an RP for.

My Voodoo lab Octavia-- perfection-- I've tried the Fulltone Octavia--- yeah, sucked totally. Don't know how he sells any of em.

The Rat is really a distortion with a very fuzzy character to it. The Vodka mod I did swapped out the op amp for a better sounding smoother one-- then I added another weird knob to dial in harmonic changes that really made the pedal awesome. Its a very cool pedal now that cost me $25, plus maybe $65 for the mods and some labor. Will never sell it. More distortion than I'll every use.

Wait-- I've got a Zvexx now. I'm hooked on fuzz.
neilslade
Peasant

Fulltone 69 Revisited

Postby neilslade on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, after writing my bit last night and watching the excellent demos from Proguitarshop.com and all their fuzzes

I was inspired to plug in my 69 again as well as my Black Cat Superfuzz, and the Voodoo Labs--

Here's a little update--

The Fulltone 69- If all I had was this pedal-- I'd be happy. It's all about tone. And what did they say, "weak" ?!??! ON what planet???
This pedal has the crunchiest breakup imaginable, fuzz till the cows come home, and plenty of UMMMPPH. Sorry. I STRONGLY disagree.
It has TONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE--- maybe I just got lucky, maybe I just a good one-- I dunno--
Actually- now that I think about it, a note came with mine (bought it used from a guy here in town) from Gary- because it was sent back to replace a pot- and if I remember correctly (and I'm sure I've got the note in my basement), he said this was one of the best ones he ever built. So-- maybe you guts got a bad one, and I got a great one-- but I think that's the deal with the old Germaniums. They don't all sound the same. But mine-- 110% completely gratifying.

The Black Cat was interesting to revisit because I watched the Proguitarshop demo of their Wattson Classic Superfuzz Clone- and this is a great sounding pedal Fuzz Demo Page:

http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php? ... ID=439Fuzz Demo Page

They got their Superfuzz clone to almost do a ring modulator thing- among other fantastic unique sounds-- sure enough, I found the enormous variations possible by adjusting guitar volume, pedal bias, etc.

Per quality- the Fulltone-- Superb insides, like military. The Black Cat-- god awful-- fortunately it works, but the board is floating around on a piece of foam.
Ridiculous really. I added more foam for insurance.

The Voodoo Labs pedal really does come off as the least interesting pedal-- almost generic sounding- not bad, not fantastic personality- same as my earlier observations.

LaterThe Brain book and Music Store
http://www.neilslade.com/order.html
http://www.neilslade.com/cds.html

Neil
http://www.BrainRadar.com

http://www.EasyPaintYourCar.com
http://www.InkJetHelper.com
http://www.MyOwnPublishing.com
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/Painting.html

he ever cranked out.
neilslade
Peasant

Postby The Pup on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 pm

8)

Wow...I could only compare a few pedals at a time, my tonal memory would not be good enough unless there were significant tonal/performance characteristics amongst the pedals
The Pup
Prince

Postby Derfalcon on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:30 pm

'78 100W DR103 through (currently borrowed) Biacrown SE4123

Ugh, you guys hit the nail on the head, should have read this thread first!

I just picked up a F.T. Soul Bender on Tuesday and even after a couple hours of moving it around in the chain, using it in isolation, bright channel / normal channel I could not get around the thin, squished tone - I was previously using mostly clean settings with amp-driven distortion and the signal had neither high highs and absolutely farts out on the low end.

I will fiddle with it some more, but your analysis confirms my suspicions on this pedal and F.T. in general, I had tried some other ones and they were "ok" but seem to be missing something.

Cheers,

DF
Derfalcon
Peasant

Postby The Pup on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:07 am

Fuzz is fun.

The Pup
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:55 am

Hey Pup, got ground loops?
Jamie
Baron

Postby The Pup on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:01 am

The Pup
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:16 pm

Awesome.. btw, it was tongue in cheek..;) I frequently get loops that come and go. Sorting out on the pedal board can take some time. Some day I'll invest in better power supplies.
Jamie
Baron

Postby The Pup on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Here's the undercarriage:

The Pup
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Well there you go.. I've been using 1 spots. I have quite a few and use as isolation, some in a chain. Works ok but ground loops still pop up from time to time.

Jamie
Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain