Boss ME-5 multi efx pedal

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Re: Boss ME-5 multi efx pedal

Postby Lukhators on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Hello everyone, greetings from Argentina!

I just received my ME-5, bought it on eBay for 100 dollars. The thing is, the foot switches aren't working properly, so I need to change them. Has anyone done so? Could you please give me some advice about that?

I love this unit, my guitar teacher has one and plays some times with it, it absolutely rocks. The NS is awesome and the chorus is really nice too.

Thanks a lot for your attention guys!

Lukhators
Lukhators
Peasant

Postby sonicblue57 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 am

Footswitches are easily fixed as I understand, just generic contact switches; I had them done, not me personally but a techie did it, and seemed pretty reasonable cost-wise, I think it was just as easy for him to do the lot once to the hood was up.

Mind you, that was a long time ago, 1993, I know that because I had a chocolate milk thrown at me at an outdoor gig (the announcement of Sydney getting the 2000 Olympics, in September 1993) and I watched this container of something sailing towards me, stepped back, and it squarely hit the ME-5.... covered in sticky chocolate milk... had to get the whole thing cleaned inside... worked fine after that though. :)
sonicblue57
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:08 pm

just generic contact switches

That's right. The ones I have say OMRON B3F, which is unfortunately not the complete part number, I think the complete number is B3F 5050. There are many other brands besides Omron. They're called 'tactile switches'. They are less than a dollar each.

While you're in there two things to check are the jacks, mine needed resoldering, and the condition of the lithium back-up battery which is needed for the unit to retain settings when the power is off.
PeterS
King

Postby MEFIVE on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Hello everybody at this exciting ME-5 forum. A have a question concerning the BOSS ME5 pedal:
What er the actual effect processors hidden inside it? I mean is it the boss RV-33, DD-2, CE-1 or CE-2 or what??
I would be very grateful i you could help me with this question or some part of it.
The best regards
Jesper, Denmark
MEFIVE
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 pm

I don't think it's necessarily based on any of those.
PeterS
King

Postby MEFIVE on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:01 pm

I saw on some internat page that is is all the "classics" but i really need someone to confirm that og the oposite..
Best regardsJ
esper
MEFIVE
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, the distortion and overdrive settings have a drive control and a level control, no tone control, so I don't see how you would decide that it was like a DS1 or something. By contrast I have a BE5, on which the distortion/overdrive is exactly like a Boss OS2, but I don't think ME5 works like that...
PeterS
King

Postby roseblood11 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 am

Old thread...

Does the ME-5 send Midi Clock?
roseblood11
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:22 am

I don't know much about midi, but I read the midi chapter of the ME5 manual and there's no mention of the word 'clock'.

Old thread yes. But I'm still using the ME-5, which is cool - usually I get tired of a particular overdrive and switch to something else every few months.
I had to again replace some of the switches I already replaced once, which I guess means the replacements I bought were not the highest quality.
PeterS
King

Postby PeterS on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

And now (ongoing saga) I had to replace the switch for the compressor again. It's the one I use most because I use it to boost for solos: because
every song my band plays lasts 3 minutes and goes verse chorus verse chorus guitar solo verse chorus, I'd say it gets operated twice per 3 minutes, or 40
times per hour of playing! Easy enough to replace but I'm not sure how much more of my clumsy soldering the board traces can survive. So if you're buying
replacement tactile switches it might be worth shopping for long-life ones!
PeterS
King

Postby 59Bassman on Mon May 05, 2014 3:54 pm

I feel I must aed my bit in here as I have a dedicated webpage offering a great deal of info and an upgrade tone set option!

Fundamentally - If you have an old BOSS ME-5 - Don't be tempted to sell it! Stick with it!!

Few people realise that the ME-5 incorporates the classic BOSS pedal internals that are now vintage in their own right including the: CS-2, DS-1, OD-2, RV-3, EQ-1, CE-1, DD-2, BF-2 all together with a switchable Noise Suppressor that calms the proceedings. I have an all up-to-ate set of BOUTIQUE Patches in mine that gives me classic sounds such as:

Univibe, Vibratone, (and other Leslie effects), Rangemaster, Fuzz-Face, Tweed and driven Deluxe Reverb emulations, classic JTM45, Rockabilly, Bluesbreaker, 'Rectified' and 'Twang' - all classic tones in various states - and not modelled!!

You can get a set too and upload either via sysex/midi and your PC or manual input. See link where to get them.

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com
59Bassman
Peasant

Postby aregularjoe on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm

I am trying to get the damn footswitches open to clean them on the ME-5. I have the service manual and it shows that if you remove the 2 screws on ether side of a footswitch, that it opens right up? Mine do not. they seem to have something else holding the covers on? Any advice or inout is most welcome as i would love to be able to use this box again!

TIA!

aregularjoe
aregularjoe
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm

My vague memory is you remove those two screws but then you have to slide the footswitch towards the front of the pedal. But you will also want to get at the back of the circuit board for soldering, so take the bottom of the box off first (just the 6 screws on the bottom, no need to remove the ones on the back). There might be another screw holding the pedal on from beneath?
PeterS
King

Postby judsonkolk on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:59 am

I have the ME-5 and I'm really into layering the reverb, delay, chorus and flange all ontop of each other and just getting this ridiculous clean tone. The pedal cracks me up and I really dig it.
But I really don't like the drive. It sounds really artificial and digital to me. I have a MXR Distortion III that I freaking love and I have it in the loop with the ME-5 but I'm just wondering... Does anyone know of any way to somehow get my Distortion III onto the ME-5? So it could be accessed one of the ME-5 footswitches?
I'd really like all my effects in one unit, and I know it's kind of crazy sounding but i just figured I'd ask haha

Please let me know if you have any ideas concerning this,

thank you :blah:
judsonkolk
Peasant

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Wow
A year old post & I'm now seeing it.
To try to explain the gold with the ME5 is the way they designed the order of the compressor and EQ in tandem with the drive to get great results with the over all sound of the effect.

The drives are like an OD-1 or DS-1 depending on the mode chosen but it has this slight cocked midrange sound to it that by itself into a clean amp can sound a bit nasal.
Depending on the amplifier this can work when the amp is overdriving too , depending on the amp.
Some amps have their own compression that calms the mids a bit where it works good with it.

On the other end you have the comp & EQ to adjust for running into a clean amp if you choose.

I personally run the amp a bit hard then turn down a bit to get clean but with a Marshall it's hard to get real total clean.
The compressor helps a lot though.

I don't play real total clean for the most part.

The Distortion III is a cool drive pedal that would should work well in front of the ME5.
The thing is making sure comp is either off or set low as it will probably make it sound muddy otherwise.
Roy Boltz
King

Previous

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain