what's the dumbest thing you ever did to an axe

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

what's the dumbest thing you ever did to an axe

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 am

:shock: must of been cold....

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: what's the dumbest thing you ever did to an axe

Postby Mayhawk on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:28 am

I tried to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. My first guitar 'makeover' from back in the '70's. I got an old Harmony Rocket from a friend, in red, with typical cheapo pu's and hardware. So I stripped off the finish with who-knows-what, then belt sanded it down to perfection. Even revealed the middle ply of the plywood in some areas. :shock: And then loaded it up with top drawer components, Gibson P90's, Grovers, tunomatic, etc. Even 'crafted' plywood pu surrounds to mount the P90's. And I finished it, so to speak, with some brown stain I found in my dad's work shed and lots of layers of brushed on varnish. It was real shiny. I think I eventually sold it for about $80 to some guy who immediately stripped off the tuners, pu's, etc for his project and pitched the wood. Live and learn.

:popcorn:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Painterman on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 am

I destroyed a Jetglo Ric 4001v63 bass onstage in 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glsOuMKhkJI

(state of the art cell phone video quality of the time - shot by my ex-gf Wendy)

At the end of the song - I launched the bass at my amplifier. Angry over nothing. I ended up snapping the headstock off and putting a huge crack down the side of the neck that went about 9 frets down - plus some bad dings on the neck, headstock and body.

Not one of my proudest moments. One of my better sounding/playing Rics in my herd back then, too. Ended up getting it repaired and sold it on consignment at Hoboken Vintage guitars.
I know it was used by Mike Mills in a REM video, because one of the owners called me to ask me if it was OK to go out on loan for a video shoot for them in NYC.
I may be wrong, but I also believe he bought that bass.

:POd: :dumass: :oops:
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby housekustoms on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I sold my first guitar...a Silvertone 1457 with amp case at a garage sale to get a cheap Strat look-alike from Musicland that played like ass. :Doh:
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby pckpat on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:40 pm

I went all Pete Townsend on a late-seventies Strat at a New Year's Eve gig-1981. (Kinda wouldn't mind having it now). The story is a whole lot longer in the non-abridged version-guess that'll have to wait for the book....haha :mrgreen:
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby mirrorman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:39 pm

pckpat wrote:I went all Pete Townsend on a late-seventies Strat at a New Year's Eve gig-1981. (Kinda wouldn't mind having it now). The story is a whole lot longer in the non-abridged version-guess that'll have to wait for the book....haha :mrgreen:

A similar fate with my first electric, a $99 piece of crap from the Sears catalogue that I learned how to mod guitars on.
Put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, changed out the pots, switch, jack, bridge and tuners. I think the only things that were original by the time I was finished with it was the wood and neck pickup (which I never used anyway). Smashed it up on stage to wild applause, but after all the mods I made it wasn't a bad guitar.
I guess I figured it was time to move on, since I had already "replaced" it with a Gibson KZII. :Doh: :ROFLMAO:
On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby Mayhawk on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:48 am

mirrorman wrote:
pckpat wrote:I went all Pete Townsend on a late-seventies Strat at a New Year's Eve gig-1981. (Kinda wouldn't mind having it now). The story is a whole lot longer in the non-abridged version-guess that'll have to wait for the book....haha :mrgreen:

A similar fate with my first electric, a $99 piece of crap from the Sears catalogue that I learned how to mod guitars on.
Put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, changed out the pots, switch, jack, bridge and tuners. I think the only things that were original by the time I was finished with it was the wood and neck pickup (which I never used anyway). Smashed it up on stage to wild applause, but after all the mods I made it wasn't a bad guitar.
I guess I figured it was time to move on, since I had already "replaced" it with a Gibson KZII. :Doh: :ROFLMAO:

The KZII......wasn't that a Gibson 'parts guitar?' I saw one at a pawn shop years ago....sort of a Melody Maker amalgam with full size humbuckers. Great for the Joan Jett/early Eric Carmen thing. A can of Krylon and you're in bizness. 8)
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby mirrorman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:51 am

Mayhawk wrote:
mirrorman wrote:

The KZII......wasn't that a Gibson 'parts guitar?' I saw one at a pawn shop years ago....sort of a Melody Maker amalgam with full size humbuckers. Great for the Joan Jett/early Eric Carmen thing. A can of Krylon and you're in bizness. 8)

Here's a shot of the one I had. Pretty much a double cut Melody Maker body, but the switch is more in the area of an SG. No idea what kind of humbuckers were in it, didn't matter at that point of my guitar playing era...

On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, we will remember you
mirrorman
Squire

Postby geoff_bell on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:45 pm

When I sanded my 1974 gibson sg to refinish it, I sanded off serial number and all
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Seby on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 am

I lost one of mine in my teenage years. I honestly have no idea where it is.
Seby
Certified

Postby ¤klÿn¡§§¤ on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Not the most original "dumb thing to do" but i smashed an old 80's era Kramer at a New Years Party years back...

That's not really the bad part. This was before I knew anything about anything and a month prior i had traded a beautiful Gretsch Committee for it (because it wasn't "metal" enough)... so in the end, not only did i RIP myself off - I ended up with nothing.

:roll:

Life lesson: don't mix beer with orange juice :mrgreen:

What a beauty she was . Had to post a pic... how's that for dumb?

nothing says *vintage* like a stripped pan-head
¤klÿn¡§§¤
Dances With Valves

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 pm

¤klÿn¡§§¤ wrote:
What a beauty she was . Had to post a pic... how's that for dumb?

Indeed she was :skeeered:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Off-Topic Lounge