Schaller KV-50

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Re: Schaller KV-50

Postby Racing on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:47 am

For some good news then.
Albeit being tech,with all that brings,i truly am a hotroder at heart as well. What that spells is that "we cut n try". So. Since last i had all these tapeheads laying around and altho oscillator freq asf can,and SHOULD,have the math tossed at it...i simply opted to try a few of them out and lo n behold...

It turns out that tapeheads for an old Echolette unit will work just fine.

When i talked it over with Aleks we soon enough agreed on that tapeheads can be a rather...cumbersome proposition seing all the variables involved. All good i guess,and make no mistake..inductance and what not will still be measured,and posted,as that will be a part of bringing this tapehead drought for these units to an end.
However,now being in the know that regular Echolette heads that have had their "housing" removed works is one GIANT leap forward in the process no doubt.

What´s more i tried dressing the ruined drum with regular 2" studio tape,and this to no avail. Oscillator freq is obviously out vs what it needs to be so all it resulted in was an every so slight slapback being heard. In short,a ruined drum surely CAN be rescued by dressing it with tape...just that we in that case need to ask the manufacturers of the tape for the oscillation freq needed,then alter the circuit to fit and in turn get us an oscillator with an adjustable ferrite and what not and dial the whole thing in. Not really a job for the novice to be blunt.

No matter. We now have an easy manner in which to rememedy the most frequent of issues with these echoes...which is way better then just a few days ago.
Racing
Squire

Postby Muziekschuur on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:10 am

I have since acquired a Schaller Echo Sound, a KV40 and a KV35, wich is the amp wich should go with the Echo Sound. Creating a nice P.A. system for voice.
I also have two KV25's (solidstate) and a KV18 (hybrid with tube power section). All are unrestored..

So it's really great to see you do all that work. I'm told the heads should not touch the drum. I have two drums with my Echo sound. Thought ferro dust in clear laquer could work to make a new coating.

Muziekschuur
Peasant

Postby Racing on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Yep.
I guess that would be the last piece of the puzzle. To figure out what kind of paint has been used and how thick it has been applied and what not.

I´ll look into it. Might be an idea to check with my former school,Chalmers tech...
Racing
Squire

Postby Muziekschuur on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 am

Red lead paint is called iron paint in holland. I do suspect it contains iron particles. And if not. Those can be added. iron dust can be bought to make colour. This can be mixed with any paint and give the iron oxide coat needed.
Muziekschuur
Peasant

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers