Ever Use the Schaller Roller Tune-o-matic Bridge?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Ever Use the Schaller Roller Tune-o-matic Bridge?

Postby vez on Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Currently the notches on my ABS1 bridge on my Les Paul are too deep and the strings touch the back edge of the bridge unless I adjust the stop-bar really high.
I was going to just buy new saddles but I don't really have the proper tools to notch.
So I thought I'd buy this Schaller Roller Tune-o-matic Bridge.
The only issue Im concerned about is adjusting for intonation; Im wondering if the roller can adjust as far back as the regular saddles (especially for the G and E strings)?
Anyone ever try the roller Tune-o-matic?
Thanks!
vez
Squire

Re: Ever Use the Schaller Roller Tune-o-matic Bridge?

Postby Gooch on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:36 pm

You can also just feed the strings thru the front of the tail piece and wrap them over the top. I had to do that on a old LP Custom where the tailpiece would have been too high.
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Postby vez on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Gooch wrote:You can also just feed the strings thru the front of the tail piece and wrap them over the top. I had to do that on a old LP Custom where the tailpiece would have been too high.

Thanks Gooch. That's really helpful. Funny, I just read about that this morning on the Stewart McDonald website.
I bought this bridge about a year ago and I notched the saddles myself with some swiss files. It's the first time I've ever tried that and I'm afraid I went a little too deep. Then recently I read that strings putting undo pressure on the edge of the bridge can damage the top. Well almost all my strings were touching the back edge of the bridge and to correct it, the stop piece had to be over 1/2 inch high. :shock:
I guess that roller bridge is for guitars sporting a Bigsby.
vez
Squire

Postby vez on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:56 pm

I tried the wraparound trick and I can't get enough string angle even with the the stop set as low as possible. :POd:

So I'll be buying new saddles and perhaps pay someone to notch it. Or I'll do it my self if I can borrow the tools to do it.
vez
Squire

Postby MichaelE on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 pm

I had a Schaller roller bridge on my last LP. I liked it a lot for the variable string spacing. I finger pick a little bit and it's a little easier to play an LP with slightly more room between the strings. It doesn't look like much but it helps.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:26 pm

The Schaller roller bridge has a 15" radius. That doesn't fit with most Gibson fretboards. IN order to properly radius the Schaller rollerbridge, one has to remove the rollers and have some precise machine work done. I ran across this way back in the '90's with the Fender Robben Ford guitar that uses this bridge. also, roller bridges are tone sucks.
Vez, if you don't mind, I have to offer some advise. That bridge as set up will NOT yield accurate intonation. I have been intonating Gibson guitars with adjustable saddles for over 50 years. (;^) IF the saddles were worked for proper radius, string contact/witness points, and proper intonation, I don't think there would be any problem with that breakover angle albeit that it is fairly shallow. IF that bothers you, then string the guitar normally and jack the tailpiece up far enough to achieve more breakover while still avoiding contact of the string to the bridge.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips