Any ideas for a self teaching series for a beginner?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Any ideas for a self teaching series for a beginner?

Postby Mayhawk on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:35 am

I am thinking of getting my youngest son going on guitar. He's 15 years old, plays some sax but doesn't like it.....guitar might be cooler for him. Unfortunately, I am not much of a teacher.... didn't take lessons, all self taught, except for my theory courses in school. And with my job I am not around as much as I'd like. I would like to get him a learning series to get him going. Probably rock/blues/country. I know there are lots of beginner series out there, books, cd's, etc.... any good suggestions? And thanks!
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Re: Any ideas for a self teaching series for a beginner?

Postby Seby on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Cool!

If it were me, I'd forget the books and find him a good teacher. If there is anyone affordable and serious near you, then go for it.
Seby
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:12 pm

I second that motion.

But, if he shows promise, move him up to a ex-rock-star-turned-teacher. Earl Slick (ex David Bowie lead when SRV got canned for coming to rehearsal drunk just before the diamond dogs tour) in NYC has a couple of people he took under his wing (last I heard was 4 years ago, may have changed) like Kristin Capolino. Check any of her vids to see results. She's a prodigy tho, having started wailing on stage I believe at 13 when her flying V was almost as big as she was.

Run of the mill teachers are fine to get him going on the basics, but if they can't wail he never will either unless he takes advantage of some of the more advanced online paid for courses/free videos.
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Oh, I almost forgot about this one. This is one of those 3d sites where you follow the fingers to learn more intuitively....

they are kinda pricy. more than kinda. but it's one of those sites you click on and it says 85% off on your first purchase, and 20 free lessons

so 20 free lessons and then quit, eh? :lol:

http://guitarzoom.com/
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby steveokla on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Hif not a live teacher, hands down Justinguitar.com
steveokla
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:10 pm

steveokla wrote:Hif not a live teacher, hands down Justinguitar.com

Australian with a Maton guitar :) Looks a good site.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 am

steveokla wrote:Hif not a live teacher, hands down Justinguitar.com

Great site...... even picked up a few nice tips in the later lessons. Good one, Steve.

And thanks for the rest of the tips, guys, good stuff!
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby LD50 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 am

I was in a similar situation recently.

My youngest is now 14. I introduced him to guitar last year and he wasn't that fussed, he was more into building and upgrading computers and playing games. I showed him open and simple barre chords and some scales but he didn't really practice much. His older sister (16) plays and is in and out of bands and into singing too. They shared a Squire Jazz bass, she has a nice strat I put together specifically for her - because she was pinching my tele and outgrew her Squire strat.

Suddenly he decided he was going to play bass, now he plays about 3-4 hours a day (after school home work and food) he disappears to man cave where he uses my DR103 through an Orange cab I picked up, we have to kick him off to bed at 1030.
The on line resources now are fantastic. He also has my i-tunes library (all my vinyl and CDs) on the hard drive. I have followed his progress (you can hear the playing but it is not intrusive). There are backing tracks, click tracks, drums only tracks all available free on line. His progress has been a vertical line more than a learning curve such that I bought a 5 string Jazz bass for the funk and metal stuff (his mother has been so blown away that she did not make him sell the 4-string to help pay for the 5! ). I have even put together an Antoria Les Paul for him (he's stung it with 12s!) and he has started nicking my Tubescreamer and Plexis and we have been jamming, swapping the guitars and bass between us. He has also started jamming with friends and they have started a band at school. Fortunately he still has rugby and swimming clubs to keep him fit.

So my suggestion is show him the starting line, make sure his instrument is decent to start with (remember those cheap finger wrecking axes we learned on?) and leave him to it with support and encouragement, if he wants to do it he will.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Strat59 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:35 pm

Yep things have come a long way from what we learned on. Although I must say my old Ibanez SG was a very nice guitar. The valve driven radiogram converted to an amplifier by my dad did serve its purpose albeit limited. But I think having less made me appreciate the gear I had and treasure having it.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby housekustoms on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:15 pm

We took a similar approach to many I think. Started our youngest on piano when he was 6. He had formal lessons for 7 years. I was/am a strong believer in keyboards being a good starting point for music as they have no choice but to learn music dynamics and both clefs as well as much music they would never play otherwise. Funny how some of that dribbles through his playing these days.

After 6 years of lessons he wanted to play guitar so we placed him in lessons there as well. A local teacher who is an outstanding guitarist and plays in three different banks around town (different venues in each band; one pop, one more country/blues and a bluegrass band).

He took to it instantly, had only to learn the instrument as he was already by then well rounded in music theory and dynamics and could read both clefs. After the first year he out played me easily...a tribute to my suckiness. I was admittedly never a stellar guitarist but it still surprised me. I always felt I was OK but quickly realized what I hadn't learned and how valuable that would have been back when I had a better short-term memory. He continued for 3 more years with guitar lessons and can play anything now...picks it all up like a breeze. Not a prodigy, but I would give plenty to play like he can. I think the thing that impressed me most about the benefit he got from guitar lessons is the ability to improvise on the spot, on stage and have it sound like he had rehearsed the riff.

He is a lefty so couldn't play any of my guitars (yes!) so I went beyond adjustments and setup and began to build them. Lefty guitars have very little choices in models and finishes as I'm sure everyone knows so building them allowed for choices that just wouldn't have existed for him otherwise.

Just one more approach to the same end...worked well for him though.
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Return to Off-Topic Lounge