I got to play the real Goldie

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

I got to play the real Goldie

Postby bluesky636 on Wed May 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Just got back from TDY in Monterey, CA. During my limited free time (a short day was 12 hours), I made it over to Rumble Seat Music in Carmel-By-The-Sea. I saw a Gibson "Goldie" on display on the wall and asked if it was the Custom Shop version. I was told no, it was the real one. I asked if I could hold it, and was told "Sure, why don't you plug her in and play her?" I almost fainted. Anyway, they plugged me into the bright side of a vintage Blackface Bassman and let me have at it. I'm a lousy player and I was scared to death I would drop her, but I managed to crank out a few lead lines that didn't sound half bad. My hands were shaking when I finally handed her back over. It was truly an uplifting experience. My thanks go out to the guys at Rumble Seat.

Note that the guitar was not for sale. It was on loan by the owner for display purposes only.

bluesky636
Peasant

Re: I got to play the real Goldie

Postby Unit_1 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 am

:not_worthy:

jealous? Me???? ya, you betcha!!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby skeeterbuck on Fri May 08, 2015 5:28 pm

We need more details than that. :Doh:

How'd it sound? Was it light or heavy? Was their really anything magical about it? Inquiring minds want to know! :popcorn:
skeeterbuck
Court Jester

Postby bluesky636 on Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 pm

skeeterbuck wrote:We need more details than that. :Doh:

How'd it sound? Was it light or heavy? Was their really anything magical about it? Inquiring minds want to know! :popcorn:

It sounded great.

Nothing to compare the weight to.

Magical? Don't know about that. It was very exciting to play it though.
bluesky636
Peasant

Postby TM1 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:12 pm

I thought you were talking about Dickey's actual guitar that was called Goldie, but is now red... He painted it red sometime in the early 90's..
I actually played his a couple of times back then ( before it was Red). I thought Charlie Daughtry owned the real Goldie... No?
It's always a fun experience to play a real 50's Lester! Most are really nice, but there are some just O.K. Ones too.
TM1
Squire

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Bluesky, TDY to Monterey? DLI? I was there in '71-'72. I have an itch to get back to that area for a visit....I spent my 21st birthday partying in a huge loft down on Cannery Row...before it was the commercial area I am sure it is today. Everybody was dancin' to a killer hot band.....street people, old ladies in diamonds and furs, those of us from the DLI---teachers and students........
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby cedarchoper58 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 am

super cool like the shirt also :)
cedarchoper58
none

Location: Where the blues rains down heavy and rock rolls hard

Return to Vintage Guitars