How's your summer going?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

How's your summer going?

Postby DanTheBluesMan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Hope you're having a better one than I. I went for glaucoma surgery in my right eye on June 25th, after years of evading it. I had resisted the idea because my gut instinct said 'no' for the longest time. I wish I had listened. The surgery went well, according to the doctor, the choroidal detachment event that happened two hours after I left the clinic, not so much. It's been over a month and I've barely been out of the house. Technically I'm cleared to drive because I see better than 20/25 with the left eye, but physically I am a wreck. I was so nauseous the first 3 weeks from the pain, "take tylenol" they said, and the debilitating effects of the medications that I barely ate. I can eat now but it is still such a chore that I often go hungry rather than expend the effort to make something. My mom can't drive so we are both dependent on the schedules of my siblings to help us with the shopping and errands. I don't ever recall being so helpless.

I see nothing at all out the right eye. Not light not shadow. Due to my history of detached retinas and sticklers syndrome, surgical suction to remove the blood was not an option. It is a waiting game to see if there anything left after the blood liquifies and get absorbed. When I last saw the doctor at the start of week 4, it was said to be another 4-6 more weeks possibly more before they can really tell what's happening. This is due to my being very near-sighted and having elongated eyeballs that hold a lot of fluid. I haven't bothered to look up the recovery rate of choroidal detachment with apposition, I don't want to know right now.

I haven't quite decided on how I'm going to reply to my doctor when he asks if I'm ready to do the left eye next.
DanTheBluesMan
Knight

Re: How's your summer going?

Postby Seby on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 pm

Good God. : /

Man, you must be scared half to death. I know I would be. Needless to say I hope that it works out!!
Seby
Certified

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:20 pm

Dan, so sorry to hear man

I'm coming back after a long term spell of helplessness, so I sort of know what you're going through

Mine has been chronic pain from diverticulosis and diverticulitis as well as arthritis, hypothyroidism, frozen shoulder, crps, and a number of other problems from my early days of snow skiing and dirt biking.

The worst was the stomach pain. Think 'five inch long twisting knife in gut' pain. Often this would leave me in bed for as long as 15 days in a stretch, although most of the time it's only two to three days.

Modifying my diet to include little meat and a lot of olive/sesame oil and avoiding certain other foods has reduced this to only about 1 day every 2 months instead of three or four times a month.

Exercises have reduced the arthritis pain, and the frozen shoulder so I gotta do that daily.

What I've done about the food thing, is to make a big batch of pasta (Italian only so I don't get GMO which really blows up the stomach pain - damn stupid scientists) and date that so I don't use it past 7 days. Then when I don't feel so well I have something I can nuke and be full.

Be sure to boil it for 20 minutes to reduce the glycemic index - aldente pasta is very starchy and bad for you. I mix the pasta sauce with it when I make it to just make it that much easier to serve.

If I get up to five days and it looks like I have too much I put meal sized portions in bags and freeze so I can just pull out and be eating soon.
Good luck and I hope your eyesight improves bro!!! I'll say a prayer for ya! :cheers:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby dtw576 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Dan,

That does absolutely suck. The guy that works next to me was the second guitarist and singer in my 70's rock band and he has had similar eye issues lately. The stuff you guys talk about flat blows my mind. I just can't imagine what you are dealing with.

I do have some understanding though of the helplessness since my wife is having a severe issue with vertigo right now. Our PCP gave her some meclizine which helps some but we are finally getting into a neurologist on Monday. She is basically bedridden due to dizziness and falls very often when she tries to get up and move around. She is scared because she has hurt herself from the falls so I'm holding my breath that the neurologist finds the cause and can fix it. Otherwise, who know what the future holds.

Best wishes to you and I hope your ordeal works out sooner rather than later.
dtw576
Prince

Return to Off-Topic Lounge