Saving Your Caps

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Saving Your Caps

Postby Jamie on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:45 am

Curious about keeping the filter caps in good health. I have a few amps, not all I use consistently. I try to power up all amps every month or two for about 15 minutes while idle, volume set at normal playing volume. Am I missing something or there a better way to keep em healthy? I had one pop in my 9004 power amp years ago and would like to avoid from that happening again. That happened shortly after the purchase from GC. I recapped and retubed that power amp after, it's been great ever since.
Jamie
Baron

Re: Saving Your Caps

Postby pdf64 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:36 am

A few minutes powered up every month or two should enable caps to stay formed.
If you slip up and miss one for a while, this method enables a non-tech to allow caps to reform without excessive overheating http://www.londonsound.org/Vintage%20valve%20hi-fi.htm
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby Jamie on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks pdf.. I'll keep that page bookmarked.
Jamie
Baron

Postby EHansen on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:08 pm

I usually power on my 12 vintage amps every 2 months or so just to keep the caps good, even if they had a complete cap job some 1-5 years ago. Keep them in good shape,.....

10-15 years. cycle , replace all electolytic caps
EHansen
Page

Postby Jamie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks guys. One more question.. Does it matter if the amps are in or out of standby? I always take them them out of standby.

I guess I should consider recapping my 69 small box, they are still original and I've had no issues with it.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:19 am

I usually pick a new amp/guitar every few days and play that combo till I tire of it and go on to the next

I find myself playing drastically different songs/jams depending on what I pick

Standby - I've seen some people saying standby is dangerous, others say no

I say "It's on, play it!"
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby LD50 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 am

Jamie wrote:Thanks guys. One more question.. Does it matter if the amps are in or out of standby? I always take them them out of standby.

I guess I should consider recapping my 69 small box, they are still original and I've had no issues with it.

Most amps have the filter caps tied to the HT after the switch so the amp has to be on.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Jamie on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:33 pm

LD50 wrote:Most amps have the filter caps tied to the HT after the switch so the amp has to be on.

Thanks for the info guys..
Jamie
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge