attenuator for marshall 1987x 50w head

Dealing with Volume and tone solutions. Keeping a lid on the volume but still getting the tone and sound that is desirable. Many methods to make it real.

attenuator for marshall 1987x 50w head

Postby marshall631 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 am

Hi, I just bought a 1987x head and am in the process of looking for a cheap way to attenuate it (8ohms impedence). most of the popular attenuators seem to be either expensive or have a hefty postage cost to send them to the uk.

I've been looking at using an L-pad inbetween the head and cab but wasn't sure if it would damage my amp or overheat the pad.

any ideas?
marshall631
Peasant

Re: attenuator for marshall 1987x 50w head

Postby Dai on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 pm

I would not unless you drop the power first, say into a fixed L-pad of adequate wattage capacity. Many of these seem to be rated for "music power" which is sort of like saying "I can put my hand over an open flame", when the truth is you're only moving it over quickly for a second. Also, if you look at the sizes for a "100 watt", "50 watt" L-Pad, etc., and compare them to power resistors (the type that will dissipate the rating without additional heatsinking), that should tell you something (also a variable L-pad has TWO resistances inside one housing). Furthermore, a variable L-pad is an electromechanical device, which means it will wear out eventually, and the last thing you want for something between the amp output and speaker(s) is for it to possibly go open. I would try looking into things such as a PPIMV(post-phase inverter master volume), or even a lower powered amp (though I realize you just bought the amp--perhaps if you think about how it's going to be used you may not need that much power? in practice). You can try a fixed L-pad(to take the brunt of the power), then a variable one, but you want to be 100% competent with your work (soldering, workmanship, etc.) here, since an open load for the amp output can lead to very bad things. Whether resistors only attenuation will reduce the volume while keeping what you like about the sound, this seems to be a matter of debate (as well as a subjective issue), so I suppose you might just have to try things to figure out what works for you. Might be a bit of leeway/experimenting that you could do to improve the sound (such as increasing the load), so if you want to experiment I would google on this (L-pads, attenuators, attenuation, etc.) for more info.
Dai
Baron

Postby Jeff's on Sun May 12, 2013 1:33 am

I just bought a new reissue myself. I have a major volume problem! Looks like I have to buy an attenuators. Rock rusher I guess
Jeff's
Peasant

Postby guitar007 on Thu May 15, 2014 5:28 pm

I have the Rock Crusher and am very happy with it. It's very transparent.
~guitar007
guitar007
Squire

Postby addseo1115 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:46 pm

when the truth is you're only moving it over quickly for a second.
gclub โปรโมชั่น
addseo1115
Peasant

Postby Sean Camp on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:53 am

My mid 70's 50watt took to the classic Power S(u)ao(c)k well at 8 and 4 Ohms. Not as good at 16 Ohms. May I suggest the One wire mod(cascaded preamp) and a touch of distortion pedal set for boost with minimal distortion as well.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Sound Control