SNS amplifiers, Bournemouth

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Re: SNS amplifiers, Bournemouth

Postby Decades_D on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm

I have these :-
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Decade ... ort=3&o=14
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Decade ... ort=3&o=15
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Decade ... ort=3&o=16
The pics don't show the main output transistors which are bolted to the back panel and neither do they show the internals of the
front panel which is connected via the 2 multi-way plugs you can see in the pics.

Hope that helps.
The pics were taken before I started work on the new casing and they are the only ones I have of the internals. I'm not going to take any more pics as that would involve a degree of dismantling and, having only just got it all together and working, I don't really want to start pulling it apart again.
Decades_D
Peasant

Postby teemuk on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am

Thank you very much! I'm an electronics hobbyer myself with keen interest to old amps, especially rare transistor ones. The gutshot photos are very fascinating. They sure but a lot of effort in making a quality product, you can see that from many little details. And some not so "little", like that HUGE impedance matching transformer. :shock:
teemuk
Peasant

Postby bowls132 on Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Just come acroos this thread, joined SNS in the mid 60's as Chief of Test Dept when we had a mere 10 employees (including directors) when the company closed the 851 Ringwood Rd, West Howe. Bmth factory in the mid to late 70's we had nearly 400 employees, the assets were transfered to the parent company Sounddiffusion Ltd Brighton by which time I had risen to the position of Company Chief Engineer, we had some very happy & exciting times in this 10yr period with new product development & expansion. After the Bmth factory closure I continued to commute to Brighton for a further 10yrs as Technical Executive during which time our product range continued to be manufactured.
There is probably little I do not know of the company history & its produst range & still have my Technical Portfolio, Manuals, Data & Drawings & a few PCB Assembly spares so if I can be of any assistance to anyone please let me know.

Regarding Slade, I still have a postcard fom one of their roadies Charlie dated Oct10 1973 sent to me during their USA Tour stating how good the gear looked & was performing very well & no problems.
bowls132
Peasant

Postby Decades_D on Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Very interested to read your post. It's quite possible we may have met when myself and the rest of the "SUMOVUS" band were given a guided tour of the SNS site prior to taking some of the equipment out on loan. The equipment we used was originally loaned out to Joe Frazier for his UK tour so it was somewhat knocked about when we had it but we were very impressed by it and were sorry to have to give it back. The only thing that caused us problems was the weight. All the amps and cabs were incredibly heavy.
I must confess I've not had an opportunity to use in anger the SNS 125 amp that I purchased recently but I hope to be able to in the not too distant future.
Although the amp is working well and it's incredibly loud, Pitchfork, who did the repair/servicing on it for me, wasn't able to get the output meter to work and also, the Bright switch doesn't seem to have much affect and I suspect my not be working. Neither of these issues are major but if you have any schematics or plans that may help to resolve these issues it would be extremely useful. Also, although I've now produced a home-made replica of the original SNS amp casing, if you know anyone who might have an original casing then I would love to get hold of one. A long shot I know after all these years but no harm in asking.
I might also be tempted one day to try to create a replica SNS 2x12 plus horn cab. Do you know what drivers etc SNS put in those cabs?
Decades_D
Peasant

Postby Big_Stu on Mon May 26, 2014 7:11 pm

bowls132 wrote:Regarding Slade, I still have a postcard fom one of their roadies Charlie dated Oct10 1973 sent to me during their USA Tour stating how good the gear looked & was performing very well & no problems.

Ian "Charlie" Newnham, their sound engineer - very tech minded, he stayed with the crew right up until their last ever tour in the US 1984. The SNS amps and the Hiwatts that ended up replacing them were ordered via Modern Music in Dudley W Midlands.
Big_Stu
Squire

Postby bowls132 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:45 am

Decades_D wrote:Very interested to read your post. It's quite possible we may have met when myself and the rest of the "SUMOVUS" band were given a guided tour of the SNS site prior to taking some of the equipment out on loan. The equipment we used was originally loaned out to Joe Frazier for his UK tour so it was somewhat knocked about when we had it but we were very impressed by it and were sorry to have to give it back. The only thing that caused us problems was the weight. All the amps and cabs were incredibly heavy.
I must confess I've not had an opportunity to use in anger the SNS 125 amp that I purchased recently but I hope to be able to in the not too distant future.
Although the amp is working well and it's incredibly loud, Pitchfork, who did the repair/servicing on it for me, wasn't able to get the output meter to work and also, the Bright switch doesn't seem to have much affect and I suspect my not be working. Neither of these issues are major but if you have any schematics or plans that may help to resolve these issues it would be extremely useful. Also, although I've now produced a home-made replica of the original SNS amp casing, if you know anyone who might have an original casing then I would love to get hold of one. A long shot I know after all these years but no harm in asking.
I might also be tempted one day to try to create a replica SNS 2x12 plus horn cab. Do you know what drivers etc SNS put in those cabs?

Yes, every possibility we met & I certainly remember the Joe Fraizier deal.
No chance with the casing but PM me with your email address & I will scan & send you the rest of the info you need.
bowls132
Peasant

Postby bowls132 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 am

Big_Stu wrote:
bowls132 wrote:Regarding Slade, I still have a postcard fom one of their roadies Charlie dated Oct10 1973 sent to me during their USA Tour stating how good the gear looked & was performing very well & no problems.

Ian "Charlie" Newnham, their sound engineer - very tech minded, he stayed with the crew right up until their last ever tour in the US 1984. The SNS amps and the Hiwatts that ended up replacing them were ordered via Modern Music in Dudley W Midlands.

Now you mention it Modern Music rings a bell, I met Charlie and the gang when they came to collect the gear from the factory prior to the tour, I also remember the lovely individual & very sturdy packing/transit cases that they had specially tailor made & brought with them for each Amp & Speaker Cab.
bowls132
Peasant

Postby Big_Stu on Tue May 27, 2014 4:04 pm

bowls132 wrote:Now you mention it Modern Music rings a bell, I met Charlie and the gang when they came to collect the gear from the factory prior to the tour, I also remember the lovely individual & very sturdy packing/transit cases that they had specially tailor made & brought with them for each Amp & Speaker Cab.

Charlie was a lovely bloke, they all were; last I heard he was working as a jobbing sparks in the same area. Modern Music only closed down a few years ago, it had been going for many years. Jimmy didn't use the SNS gear for as long as the other two did; I'm not sure why, fashion or volume, but in mid '74 (they were bought in '71 IIRC) his SNS gear was split between Nod & H to boost their backline and Jim had 4 x Acoustic 361s for his bass; though I believe only two of them were working at any one time, with two as back-up.
Rumour has it that Jim has a lock-up which houses his massive Hiwatt backline & did hold some of Nods until 10+ years ago, I don't know of anyone who knows for sure where their SNS gear went, maybe it's still in the lock-up too.
Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Decades_D on Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Many thanks to bowls132 for sending me all the diagrams and documentation etc.. I'll have to consider very carefully now whether or not to come up with the extra cash needed to get the VU and Bright switch working. It may be worth it but I'm tempted to leave the amp as it stands as it's already working well and sounding pretty good. It's also tempting to recreate an SNS speaker cab now that I have some dimensions etc. However, they were big cabs and incredibly heavy so I'm not sure the wife will appreciate another large box taking up floor space in the house. Food for thought.
Decades_D
Peasant

Postby Big_Stu on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Big_Stu on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Bottom half of same article

Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Big_Stu on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 pm

And also better pics of both sets of amps bought............

I was sent pics 2 & 3 many years ago via PM by a guy who was also looking into these amps.
Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Decades_D on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm

It's been more than a year since the last reply on this thread and I didn't think I'd ever see another SNS amp until suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I spotted an SNS 125 Power amp on Ebay. I got it for a tenner but it needed a bit more spent on it to get it working again (thanks to Pitchfork in Hants. UK who did the repair - irwoledge@hotmail.com). It's now working well and I just hope to get a chance to use it one day.
Pictures available on Photobucket -
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Decade ... t=3&page=1
It certainly pack a punch with its 4 x 2N3773 transistors but I hope I never have to replace the smoothing capacitor. It's about the size of a pint glass but apparently it's still available but at £82 a shot.
Decades_D
Peasant

Postby Pitchfork on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:30 am

.... and the PSU Capacitor (7800uf 150V) price is ex VAT or shipping!! :?
Pitchfork
Certified

Postby bowls132 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Decades_D wrote:It's been more than a year since the last reply on this thread and I didn't think I'd ever see another SNS amp until suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I spotted an SNS 125 Power amp on Ebay. I got it for a tenner but it needed a bit more spent on it to get it working again (thanks to Pitchfork in Hants. UK who did the repair - irwoledge@hotmail.com). It's now working well and I just hope to get a chance to use it one day.
Pictures available on Photobucket -
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Decade ... t=3&page=1
It certainly pack a punch with its 4 x 2N3773 transistors but I hope I never have to replace the smoothing capacitor. It's about the size of a pint glass but apparently it's still available but at £82 a shot.

Only just picked up on your Post, if you need Catalogue Data & Circuit Diagram for the 125 Slave Amp send me a private email.
bowls132
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers