new bassist cant decide on pickups

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

new bassist cant decide on pickups

Postby ThisLifeILead on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:44 pm

i am joining a bandmates band and will be taking on the responsibility of the low end. They are a power metal type band playing in D standard.
The bass i have at home is yamaha 5 string that has the biggest neck ever. dual active humbuckers. It gets used for jamming at home in E standard, nothing fancy. i got it from my cousin who plays slap/funk bass...i can hardly play bass with a pick let alone slappin it haha.
I am looking to buy a new slimmer 4 string bass for the band but now that im looking, i dont quite understand the difference in tone between a P type, J type,jaguar style, single humbucker and dual humbucker!!!!

I am looking for opinions on the different types of bass pickups. with that in mind, im not a fan of muddy tones.
Amp rig is a yorkville 8x10 and a 1976 sunn model T :-) :jam:

opinions and experiences are welcome!!
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Re: new bassist cant decide on pickups

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Jazz bass will cover all the bases IMHO. I picked up this MIM a while back, couldn't be happier.

ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:40 pm

:cheers: :thumbsup: thats all the encouragement i need Baron! Locally there are ALOT of jazz's for sale and only one usa precision.
Im not a fan of these modern style bass guitars.
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 am

I can make her sound like everything from a p bass to a Ricky by playing with the controls, I absolutely love this bass!
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby jaywalker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

I have a MIM Jazz too. Great bass and they can be had for a reasonable price. $250 off CL for mine a couple of years ago. It needed a setup which is normal. On mine the saddle string heigth screws would frequently loosen causing the strings to drop onto the frets. A dab of blue locktite, the NON-permanent type, is one solution.

Here's an in-depth setup guide: http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf

Here's Fender's guide: http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/
jaywalker
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:38 pm

I'll be using mine today through my Ampeg B15N which is perfect for this 2 hour gig. This combination sounds great as you would expect.

Dang...still no edit function in the bass forum once something has been posted. What's with that?
jaywalker
Baron

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:07 pm

one would think the functions are universal on this forum but i guess what can you do....
the jass/precision bass thingy seems to really vary from user to user but most jazz players im hearing from say they are happy with the overall tone a jazz can provide.
thnx guys for the input!!
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby ThisLifeILead on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:44 pm

I have a 76' Sunn model T im using for bass. I am playing it through a single vintage 15" JBl d140f in a vintage peavey cab. I need more volume so i borrowed a friends eden 2x10 cab to test. It sounded like crap through the Model T. I had it near max volume to get any decent volume...... what gives? i woulda thought modern speakers were more efficient. any ideas?
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Bass Talk