Which is best modern guitar to play

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Re: Which is best modern guitar to play

Postby RossNRoll on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Consider Duesenberg! The Starplayer TV guitar is one of the coolest guitars out there. Tons of famous musicians playing them right now. kind of a gretch and les paul hybrid. german made. not cheep, but not as expensive as a lot of other boutique brands. check em out and let us know what you think
RossNRoll
Peasant

Postby CP 103 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:32 am

Schecters are great value for the money. DiPinto Guitars are great if you are into the vintage Fender/Gretsch thing.
CP 103
Knight

Postby _Flash_ on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Gibson ES-339. It is a hybrid between a Les Paul and an ES335. Does everything from Surf to Rock to Blues to Jazz and even metal and Country. About as versatile as one could be. It has a couple different neck options and priced at under 2K.

I just ordered a Hagstrom Tremar Viking Deluxe for my new ax (as I was specifically looking for a Tremelo bridge) - but the ES339 is a beauty.
1970's Sound City Concord (2x12 fanes)
1989 Ovation Legend 1717
Hagstrom Tremor Viking Deluxe ( awaiting delivery)
Alesis SR-16 drum machine
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
_Flash_
Peasant

Postby MichaelE on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:49 pm

RossNRoll wrote:Consider Duesenberg! The Starplayer TV guitar is one of the coolest guitars out there. Tons of famous musicians playing them right now. kind of a gretch and les paul hybrid. german made. not cheep, but not as expensive as a lot of other boutique brands. check em out and let us know what you think

That's next on my short list.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Quig on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Tom Andersons are the nicest feeling guitars I've ever laid my hands on, even though the models I tried were quite different they all had that wow-this-guitar-is-so-f*king-great-I-wish-I-had-more-money-factor. And of course Tyler guitars are pretty sweet - to play, not to look at IMO. :P
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Postby 57lpjr on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Can't go wrong with a Hamer - never played one that I didn't really like!!!
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby duane v on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 am

I went on a mission over the last year looking for a guitar, and tried everything from PRS, Heritage, Moser, ect..ect... And finally what I thought was my my final choice came down to a Gibson R8 When I was all but set to lay down $4000, a pal begged me to go to GMP in San Dimas, and told me Dan was running this company :shock: ... I've known Dan since the Mid 80's and he used to paint all my Mosers and Charvels.

Anywhoo I show up and we immediately catch up on old times :cheers: .... Dan pulls out this Les Paul style Pawn Shop Deluxe and tells me to try it, and I just fell in love immediately, and I knew I was doomed. I love Gibby guitars but I gotta say the GMP is the closet thing to perfect for me. If you get a chance give them a run, you'll be impressed, and it cost me $1200 less than the R9... But I'm still gonna get one

duane v
Peasant

Postby Demo on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Thunnus, what don't you like about your CS EC Strat?
I'm not from this planet.
Demo
Squire

Postby The Pup on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:25 pm

I have had great experience with my new "modern" guitars made by Melancon, Suhr and Grosh.

Grosh

Melancon

Suhr

The Pup
Prince

Postby Mayhawk on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 am

I have played (and owned and sold) most of what is out there over the years.

Like picking the best ice cream. Or best diner. Or prettiest girl. Etc. etc.

It's not so much the guitar, but how you interact with the guitar. If you don't 'get it on' with your guitar, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, or how much it costs, or whether it's custom shop, etc.

I have tried for years to make Jacksons my guitar of choice because of their functionality.....as if NASA designed a guitar.

But dang if I just don't get it on with Jacksons.....and they still sound like crap to my ears.

Anyone want an SL2H in ferrari red? Seriously......with all the tools, etc.

I still look at PRS's. But there is something lacking to my ears....must be me or how I play. Pretty to the eyes.....

I am still trying to love my 1960 RI blonde 335.....I thought it was the perfect guitar. But not in my hands. I may sell it one day.

Anyway, nothing speaks to me better than my '56 homebrew partscaster, I guess because it has all the details/specs I wanted.
And my Martin 000..... dang, that's one sweet flattop!

So....choose what works with you. :jam:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Jamie on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 am

I have a few modern guitars, prs's etc. Lately I've been picking up this 1st generation parker night fly when I stray from the Gibsons. Had to replace the nut, original was not spaced right. High E was positioned right over the edge of the frets. Put a graphtech on it and it plays nicely. Takes a little time getting use to the stainless frets. Other than that it works ok for me. This first gen version does not have the onboard preamp. I sourced out the external preamp years ago to have on hand. I don't use it often. I also have a stock p-38, it's are real sleeper.

Jamie
Baron

Postby dave.guitar on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Quig wrote: And of course Tyler guitars are pretty sweet - to play, not to look at IMO. :P

This guy's Burning Water is fantastic. He uses it like a third arm. I've been looking them up since I saw this video. Note Mulvaney's untapped hybrid technique. Pretty cool stuff. Bourbon has a lot of videos featuring artists and their weapon of choice. I'd give them a look for gear.

Anyway, enjoy. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-vPenUKJY[/youtube]
dave.guitar
Peasant

Previous

Return to Modern Guitars