Chandler Tube Driver History?

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Chandler Tube Driver History?

Postby Gold Tone on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 am

Hello all;

Posted this on another forum but thought it probably better suited here:

Has anyone here any knowledge of old Chandler Tube Drivers? I have one that is not like any other I've seen or had from (I think) the same era. It's the 1st generation big yellow box with the internal transformer. I've had one of the later ones with the wall wart that is virtually eidentical to it's predecesor with the internal transformer. I don't hear a difference between the 2 but I take it some people do.

The one I have is a Chandler Tube Driver but there are a couple of strange things about it:

- Input and output on the sides. No remnants on back of a move.
- Patnet Pending (?)
- Serial number scratched into bottom
- A marking that looks like a signature on the bottom. It looks like a "BB" with a circle around it.

Rather odd oddities that I haven't seen on other units. I can't tell how old but I think some of the caps read 1983 for production dates. Is the signature B.K. Butlers?

What is this Tube Driver?

Thanks!!

GT

Some pics:

Gold Tone
Certified

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Most of the early Chandlers do have a serial no. scratched into the back, but I've not seen one with his personal sig. Never seen one with the inputs on the sides either. Butler did make some three knobbed models that he sold through GP magazine in 1979. These look nothing like the later 3 knobbers which use a smaller housing of the same type we see currently and had all the knobs in a horizontal line. These units had a pyramid style knob layout and the jacks were indeed on the side.

Butler then changed the style, box, and controls when he redefined his creation as The Mini Boogie pedal which were distributed through Chandler (and also through his company Audio Matrix). Randall Smith took issue with the "Boogie" word, so the name was changed to Audio Matrix, with the pedal being known as "The Mini Matrix." Butler also made rack mount preamps under this name as well.

In 1985, Butler began selling through Chandler exclusively (a five year contract) and the housing and layout style completely changed to what we are familar with today. Personally, I've never seen what you have there, but it's possible it could be a transition model made somewhere between 83-84. I would contact Butler at his web site and show him your pics and see what he says.

If you check the search engine, you will find lots of info here including pics and comparisons to Butler's reissues.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Gold Tone on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey thanks for the info!!

I thought it might be some sort of transitional thing. I'll see if Mr. Butler will e-mail me any info.

Cheers,

GT
Gold Tone
Certified

Postby lexicondevil on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 pm

I had one just like this, save for BK Butler's mark on the bottom that I picked up in 1986. You have one of the first ones made from perhaps '85 or '86. They moved the inputs to the front on these in '87 or '88.
lexicondevil
Squire

Postby Gold Tone on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks! New this was the place for this kind of information!

Cheers,

GT
Gold Tone
Certified

Postby B-Squared on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:25 am

Got any internal pics?

BB
I use Punky McGoo's pickups...and Grundy MacTavich's electronics in my guitars. :D
I also use some Bardledoo caps, and like what I hear. ;)
B-Squared
Duke

Postby Gold Tone on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Hey;

I'll try to get sometime later today or tomorrow to post some internal pics.
Gold Tone
Certified

Re: Chandler Tube Driver History?

Postby Charmless on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Bump--would love to see pics!
Charmless
Certified

Re: Chandler Tube Driver History?

Postby Vortexion on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 pm

You might have a long wait, Charmless - the OP hasn't posted on this forum for 5 years, and appears to have deleted his original pictures. Still, if you don't ask... :wink:
Vortexion
Newt

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain