Did anyone know Andy Milton?

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Did anyone know Andy Milton?

Postby Jamie on Sat May 24, 2003 6:33 pm

He played bass in The Squares out of San Francisco in 79 with Joe Satriani. Andy was our class president in 73 and good friend in early 70s. He lived 2 doors down from me, he played bass, I played guitar and Brad Holdsworth played drums. We did old Humble Pie, Trapeze etc. Andy had an awesome rig, 4 standel cabs preamped with a Traynor y-b3 head. At 2 it totally drowned out my 73 super lead stack. We all went to college in Columbus. Andy got heavily into coke and after coming out of rehab in AZ in the 80s he went back to it and died one night shortly after. He was a good guy, I have a lot of good memories of him as others do that know him... He stepped into a recording session while in a studio in London in the 70s with Paul McCartney. They promptly booted him.. ;) Just wondered if anyone in CA remembered him from the late 70s early 80s?
Jamie
Baron

Re: Did anyone know Andy Milton?

Postby tomzif23 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:21 am

Yes I remember Andy. We grew up together in Dover and I hung out with him a bit in Columbus '74-75 and went to his gigs there. I came to CA myself about 1980 but never ran into Andy out here. I knew him all through grade school and high school but didn't realize he was musically talented until Columbus years. It's now 2015 and I just learned he had died. I was very surprised and sadden to find out the Andy had passed. I knew Brad also and I probably know you too Jamie but cant recall. I have many great memories of Andy. Thank you for your post as I am now trying to catch up and a couple of this you mentioned in your post are news to me
tomzif23
Peasant

Postby Jamie on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Andy, Brad, Kevin and I jammed oftened in our basement. Brad played drums, he still has that Rogers kit he purchased from Doc Severinsen's drummer. It was used at a show in Cleveland IIRC. He still lives in Ohio, we touch base from time to time. All that nonsense started about in 70 or 71. It's amazing our hearing remained intact with that bass rig and super lead stack cranked in a small basement... :shock: Andy was a straight up guy, I have a lot of good memories with him and Brad. I was in Columbus also at that time.

Andy's the guy in the middle..

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:06 pm

James Funk gave me permission to post the demo from his old cover band The Blackbirds. It was done in the early '90s. My old neighbor and friend, Andy Milton, worked with Jim on this project. They both have done work with others, Joe Satriani, etc. Andy passed away in the 90s from an overdose.

It's a comp of samples of some Beatles, Who, Stones, Byrds, Everlys and Presley. IMHO the vocals are impeccable, I really enjoyed this demo. Andy & Jim took turns singing leads, shared the backing vox, sang a duet in the middle, and doubled the last one together. Jim played bass, Andy played rhythm guitar, and Joe Satriani's now long-time drummer, Jeff Campitelli, played drums. The lead guitarist is Tommy Dunbar.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16700396/The_Blackbirds_Demo.mp3
Jamie
Baron

Postby tomzif23 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:13 am

Hi Jamie thanks for your response and posting the video and audio of Andy. I agree the vocals are out of sight.
tomzif23
Peasant

Postby Jamie on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:45 am

tomzif23 wrote:Hi Jamie thanks for your response and posting the video and audio of Andy. I agree the vocals are out of sight.

Hey Tom, there's more popping on youtube, query the squares. I'll PM..
Jamie
Baron

Return to Off-Topic Lounge