nkd: new Keytar Day

Topics other than amps, guitars, and tone. No posts about politics or religion.

Re: nkd: new Keytar Day

Postby Jamie on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 am

I got the C9 for 220 shipped off ebay around the time of release. Most of the demos on the tube really don't do it justice. The one on this thread is the best. I've really been having fun with it, using it quite a bit. A bridge humbucker works best. For now I've been using the 1st setting the most. They all are useful, I think more so than the B9. Some reviews say it tracks a little better too. It does track well too. Chords bloom very nicely with it too. Its fun with a looper. Have to say it's the most interesting pedal I've played in many years.

Working on an old favorite, lighter shade of pale. It's so close it's scary. Overdrive and leslie sym is just right. Spooky is next. Really having fun with this..
Last edited by Jamie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Baron

Postby pckpat on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Nice pedal board Jamie-how is your switching/loop matrix setup?...hiss/hum control? Some guys give me grief over too many effects...I usually am running five or six. Of course mine are strung together- swapping various models and wired in different sequences, depending how I feel that day, So it's a bit of a dice roll, until I get sorted, although I do have a couple basic go-to setups. Someday, I will be the possessor of a nice organized layout like yours. I do have the dedicated pedal-case- of course it's sitting unused with all the rack efx's and multi-units I bought but couldn't bond with. (sorry, just shut me off if this is too much of a hijack) :P
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Jamie on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Hey PCK, twas getting way noisy before the looper was in place. It may have been a cable issue somewhere in the chain that gradually started to go like maybe a capacitance problem. It was like white noise injected for about 10 minutes til it settled. Thought it was a tube but it wasn't. I recabled the board into the cheap joyo looper. I've had no problem with the joyo, it's quiet, sometimes pops a little when changing patches, not anymore than some pedals I have. Overall though the signal on any of the loops is much more transparent. I use the bad monkey with the mixer out to the tuner, and a buffer after the wah, vibe and fuzzes. It goes right into the looper from there. I don't gig out anymore so the boards stay where they are.

Loops are.. 1 > Analog Man Comprossor & Cheapo Phaser, 2 > V-twin & Tube Driver, 3 > Upper Tier Right Side, 4 > Pitch Factor, 5 > C9 & Nebulus, 6 > Belle Epoch, 7 > Echorec, 8 > Cheapo Trem, Carbon Copy & Headrush. Out goes into Ditto X2 > Voodoo Amp Switcher > Amps

I eliminate as much as possible in the chain. Typically straight in > Tube Driver > Belle Epoch > Out, In Clean > Epoch or Echorec > Out Some clean patches with compressor and C9/Nebulus. So much quieter now with the looper. Very happy with this setup. I may replace the bad monkey with another buffer at some point but I really don't notice any loss with it at this point.

I worked beginning of Pie's 'Live With Me' with the C9, it just nails it. That track is one of my most favorite blues songs with a Hammond and with Marriott you can't lose.

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Korg came out with in an interesting reasonably priced analog synth.. Korg Minilogue..

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 pm

ugh, too many buttons! I like my "all time hits of the last century sounds" synth. just push the BIGGO HONKIN' HAUNTED CASTLE PIPE ORGAN button and you get the biggo honkin' haunted castle pipe organ sound....

that little ditty at the end of pink floyd wish you were here album sound, that's there. just about every sound you could want, and more.

although, if I wanted all the versatility, $500 is a great price. But I'm happy with simple.... :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:01 am

I have an emu x board controller. I recently picked up a korg m3r & re1 editor really cheap, it works for me but always liked tinkering on a moog. Hard to beat old school analog.
Last edited by Jamie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Unit_1 wrote:ugh, too many buttons!

And knobs..

Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Just stumbled on the EH Mel9. Being a big fan of Mellotrons and early Genesis, Yes and Crimson.. Thought this is pretty cool.

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Jamie wrote:Just stumbled on the EH Mel9. Being a big fan of Mellotrons and early Genesis, Yes and Crimson.. Thought this is pretty cool.

wow, this IS cool. And expensive. Ouch. going to have to just bit on auctions and hope others forget to bid against me!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:36 am

I found one on ebay for reasonable. I think it will get more use than the C9. It will be handy to loop and play over. The sustain is nice mixing with dry. How cool, watcher of the skies.. should be fun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291896915526
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:14 pm

This is an interesting Zep clip. I'm curious how they do these series of pedals, they are not sampled. Pitch shifters & filters? Pretty amazing they can approximate these instrument's sonic character. My Eventide PitchFactor can sim and organ a little but not like these. Another cool thing about them is they can be used with keyboards. A keyboard player could gig a Mel9 instead of an M400. It's all about technique with these pedals, they can be glitchy.

Jamie
Baron

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Lounge