68 v 69 Tele neck finishes

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

68 v 69 Tele neck finishes

Postby steveokla on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm primarily a Strat user, but I do love to play a Tele. One of my favorites (should have hung onto it, I guess) was a '68. Had a fairly chunky, meaty neck, which I favor, and sounded terrific.

Anyway, it's long gone now. I'm considering getting another, but have also been looking at '69's. Here's my question:
I'm no fan of thick poly on a board. My knowledge on these matters is extremely limited, but I'm given to understand that CBS went to poly in '68--body and board. Yet, my '68 showed the kind of wear on the fingerboard I associate with a nitro finish-a couple bad pix below. Does poly wear like that?
Bottom line is, while I really liked the '68, the '69 has the solid maple board, which I think I prefer to the laminated board. That said, my '68 (whichever the finish, poly or nitro) didn't have that horrible slick feeling like the late Fender stuff has. If I thought the '69 would wear to something like my 68', I'd be fine with it. Would appreciate some input on the '68 and '69, and, in particular, regarding the fingerboard finishes. Thanks! Steveokla

ImageImage
steveokla
Baron

Re: 68 v 69 Tele neck finishes

Postby Don Dyar on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 pm

My 68 has nitro on the neck, and appears poly on the body, not really sure there.
Its a maple cap neck, ordered with Burgundy Mist body. The factory painted over a blond "ash" body.
There is my massive experience, but, that 68 is not going anywhere, its a good one.
Don Dyar
Court Jester

Postby spangled99 on Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 pm

I had a 68 with a massive maple neck, unfortunately covered in goop, one reason I sold it. The body was ok, strangely. The other -ve was a neck/pocket fit that was way off and very thin sounding pups. It came shimmed with a guitar pick, which didn't help.
spangled99
Baron

Postby Dean Jr. on Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 pm

thin sounding pickups.....those 1 meg pots that Fender started using in '67-'68 will do that to even a good pickup, ime.
Steveodkla, imho, the Tele in the pic has a nitro finished neck...based on the color alone. As I noted in your other thread, poly and lacquer age differently, and the headstock of a poly finished neck is still lacquer so that the decal will adhere. A ply neck is always whiter than the lacquered headstock.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby spangled99 on Mon May 09, 2016 9:02 pm

I don't have regrets for that one, because pickups/pots aside, the neck finish was horrible and it was really sticky to play
spangled99
Baron

Return to Vintage Guitars