Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Re: Catalinbread Belle Epoch & Echorec

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:16 am

this was just messing around with new amp/pedal after a few too many suds/brews/tasty beverages

https://soundcloud.com/unit_1-1/first-e ... y-08042014
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Jamie on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Cool beans U1. I'll see if I can get a clip or two up, might be a bit.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Jamie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:09 am

U1.. Be very careful with the input jacks on the Catalinbread pedals. I've been recabling my board and while sizing a cable length I inserted a plug into the Belle Epoch output and the jack nut just popped off. I was able to thread it back in but it won't tighten. They must have cross threaded the nut. Either way this is not he best method I've seen to putting a jack on a pedal. I noticed one was very loose on my Echorec. I tightened about finger tight. They aren't going to be jostled around on the board. I picked up a switch router so these pedals will never get stomped. Going to test the Belle now... Then a nice little letter to Catalinbread concerning their builds. These pedals are amazing, they just have a little weakness in this area. Still very very happy with them.
Jamie
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Jamie wrote:I picked up a switch router so these pedals will never get stomped.

Do tell. Whadidja get?
Been following this thread. Two or more things on the wish list won't hurt. I just bought a wireless so everything is out of reach at the moment.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Jamie on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:24 pm

jaywalker wrote:
Jamie wrote:I picked up a switch router so these pedals will never get stomped.

Do tell. Whadidja get?
Been following this thread. Two or more things on the wish list won't hurt. I just bought a wireless so everything is out of reach at the moment.

I picked up a cheap little joyo 8 channel. had a coupon: PROMO10.. @ geartree for $107. Nice little switcher, no issues, pops etc. heavy too for its size, it stays put. Stores 32 patches. Really digging these pedals. Picked up the Empress Nebulus, another very cool addition. It knocked off my boss chorus and EH flanger. Decided to do some upgrades.

http://www.geartree.com/p-40905-joyo-pxl8-effects-loop-router-us-dealer-pxl-8-black.aspx

I picked up the cheap joyo phaser and trem. They're true bypass, sound pretty good and did I say... cheap..;) I use the bad monkey for the buffer and it's secondary out to tuner. Really was a lot of hf loss before the switcher, huge difference for the better. Oh, I do like delays, they all have their flavor. Epoch sidelined my EP-3, using that with my AC30CC2.

Empress Nebulus..

Last edited by Jamie on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Baron

Postby jaywalker on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Nice setup. Thanks Jamie for the link. I need to figure out how to achieve my developing champagne lifestyle with my beer budget. This will help. :D
jaywalker
Baron

Postby jmp2204 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Jamie, sorry to be late to this thread. I bought the Echorec last year when I read a review; paying that much was a looong stretch for me, but after a quick store demo, I had to have it. It is a unique pedal. Reading your updates on it aligns with what I thought, about the modulation and certain build issues. But the sound makes you want to play and adds a nice 'finish' to the tone, just like an EP-3 or real Echorec. When people try it out more often than not they say "it sounds like the record."

We'll have to catch up, Jamie! We met once by chance at the GC in columbus when I worked there. We are both big fans of Mike Battle's masterpiece!
jon
Could you repeat that?
jmp2204
Squire

Postby Jamie on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:29 am

Jon, how cool.. how you doing? Hope all is well with you and yours, been quite a few years back. It really is a unique pedal. It never ends.. waiting on a EH C3. Can't play keys so maybe this will fill the niche.
Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 am

uhhhhhh..... this is kinda weird, both you joined in 2001 at 12:01 am

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and how weird it is I even noticed that..... since i'm like so :sleepy:

{edited}
oh,wow, this was my 3000th post :say_what:

and how weird is that on the same post with the joined thing
{/edited}
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby jaywalker on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:53 am

Unit_1 wrote:uhhhhhh..... this is kinda weird, both you joined in 2001 at 12:01 am

I think the board was reset at that point. Several of the "originals" share that point in time and space.

Back to topic...I ended up with a TC Alter Ego x4 due to the alignment of the planets. I'm diggin' what little I've monkeyed with it. Of course I'll be wondering if the Belle Epoch sounds better (and certainly occupies less real estate).
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Crazy Eddie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

One thing to be wary of - as documented on YouTube, there's a glitch/trick/easter-egg on the Epoch where, if you set the mod knob to max before you plug the power supply in, the mod circuit doubles in depth/strength. If you do it by accident and panic, all you have to do to reverse it is unplug it, set the mod knob to minimum and plug the power back in again.

The Belle Epoch is my favourite pedal. You can get lost in it.
Crazy Eddie
Page

Postby jaywalker on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:36 am

It's been almost 9 months and I finally got a switcher.
I haven't plugged in yet.
btw, promo code and price still good.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Jamie on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Good deal J.. You'll be happy with it. I picked up another, the midi pxl-live. Had I not needed midi I would have purchased another 8. The pro and live are NOT true bypass, but buffered. The switcher you have is true bypass, imho, it's a better signal path. The buffer on the midi isn't terrible but my ep-3 doesn't seem to like it too well. It has a noticeable slight volume drop and a bit more high pass. It's not a big deal just something I noticed with the live version. Other pedals have no issue. Being ocd I labeled magnetic tape for the switches. I change things around occasionally and it helps remembering the routing. Have fun cabling..;)

Jamie
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Hey Jamie, long time no talk (about the echorec)

I put my entire pedal board up on a table so I could spend a lot of time making fine adjustments and trying different stuff since even when I was young I never liked crouching down with a guitar in my hands and trying stuff. And now that I have arthritis I like it even less...

Really recommended!

But I pre-digress

What I want to say is that during this process I put my mxr analog delay in FRONT of the echorec, and I made the sustain about 3 and the speed slowish

Then on the echorec I set it to a faster speed on program 3

Now when I hit one note I get the repeated notes re-fed into the echorec and FREAKIN NAILED the led zeppelin and Gilmour (and SO MANY OTHER) sound(s).

this shows the settings in case anyone would like to replicate it:

my MUCH SMALLER than Jamie's pedal board, up on the table next to the kirkland cashews (drool)

and something I just picked up, it's a mini-tube screamer pedal - sounds exactly like the original size, and from the videos I've seen I cannot tell the sound apart from the Klon (spelling?) that costs more than a new american strat if you can even find one and get the owner to part with it.

I'm *really* in love with this pedal. the boss mt2 has a serious grind, so that's what I use to really blow the doors down, but I really love the smooth and creamy sound of the tube screamer. And the small size made it possible to fit one more pedal in in-line instead of having it in a less than desirable position...

I was using the route 66 as a milder distortion and, well, it just didn't fit my style (so it's for sale, practically new if anyone wants it)

I use both the mt2 and the TS together to get a very gilmourish distortion. Pretty much like being in AXE heaven!!!! I was surprised when I used them both that instead of a squealing untameable pig like two fuzz pedal together normally make, it sounded like that big line of Hiwatts Gilmour uses and was in fact very desirable!!!!! :mrgreen:

I'll make a couple recordings, but just will say this for now until I have a chance to post them on this thread

I've been playing zep songs like the rain song, stairway, over the hill and far away, bron-yu-ar (but I can't spell it, lol) for decades, and they finally sound perfect. At the end of rain song I finally get the shimmering awesomeness I've searched for, for decades. When I first heard the end of that song on this setup, I had a guitar-gasim!

COLOR ME HAPPY! :excited: :excited:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Jamie on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Hmmm.. well that is interesting.. My epoch is after the echorec in the looper. I'll have to switch those around and give that setup it a try. I've always used one or the other for delays, never thought to use both. I commonly use setting 3 or 4 on the echorec too. Thanks for the tip U1, fun stuff.

Oh, is that a Thomas Organ wah? That's what I've been using from way back, like it better than the vox.

I know my board is over the top, it's all in the hands but the pedals sure are useful..;) Btw.. cashews are the best nut ever!

Rain Song, one of my Zep favorites, I play it in standard tuning.. Over the last few months I've gravitated to my Parker Nite Fly. It's an early version, doesn't have the piezo preamp built in. The original nut was not right, the high E string was right on the edge of the frets. I replaced with a graph tech nut for a fix. it's an easy player. I like to stretch as much as I can and with the bear claws I've been endowed with the neck just works for me. I don't have alien fingers so attempting EJ on a strat is out of the question.

Jamie
Baron

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain